Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Medicine: Provisional Entry General Discussion

A1

Rookie Doc
Applicants must not have previously attempted any tertiary study at diploma level or higher. Current USC students are not able to apply internally for the BMedSc program.

What does this mean? If I already started fisrt year of uni at another Univesrity , for example UoA, I can no longer apply for this with a provisional entry to griffith medical school.

That is correct, with a tertiary record you are ineligible for Griffith (and all other) provisional entry scheme.

A1

Rookie Doc
Not that anyone would, but could one start one provisional and defer the other? And if they stuff up badly in year 1 of provisional A, they move to provisional B? (Although I've heard the gpa requirements are a walk in the park)

Not if uni B has a rule that doesn't allow you to study during the defer year (particularly at a different uni).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Does anyone know if it is okay to enrol at Griffith now but cancel later on if I receive an offer from somewhere else?

Yes, you can do this without penalty as long as you withdraw prior to census date (which is after uni has started for the year).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
REGULAR JOE we've had reports of offers down to 99.50 for both Nathan and Gold Coast. How sure are you about the ATAR conversion you've received?

REGULAR JOE

REGULAR JOE we've had reports of offers down to 99.50 for both Nathan and Gold Coast. How sure are you about the ATAR conversion you've received?
I sent an email to them(griffith), and part of their reply was as follows:
3 A Level subjectsh
A* A* A* will give an ATAR of 99.50
A* A* A will give an ATAR of 98.00

4 A Level subjects
A* A* A* A* will give an ATAR of 99.95
A* A* A* A will give an ATAR of 99.70

My full results were 3A*1B. I did the 4th subject as an extra one. It seems due to the 'B' grade, they must have reduced my ATAR instead of it being 99.50 due to my 3A* ☹

I searched through my emails and I found another later email I had sent to them in which they said that even if I had done 4 subjects, it was possible to use just my best 3 subjects to give an ATAR of 99.50. So I called griffith and they now say that they don't convert A Levels to ATAR(what!?) and that it is done by QTAC. When I call QTAC they say they only convert to an OP rank and that conversion to an ATAR is done by the university! Is there anything I can do? I feel like I have been disadvantaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, for the o week, is it still ok (= not missing out on various things) if I only attend the last 2 days (Thursday and Friday) as we have awards night at our old high school in nsw on the Tuesday and I’d like to attend. What’s usually covered in the o week?

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
Hi, for the o week, is it still ok (= not missing out on various things) if I only attend the last 2 days (Thursday and Friday) as we have awards night at our old high school in nsw on the Tuesday and I’d like to attend. What’s usually covered in the o week?

O week gives you a feel for the university, you don’t need to attend all 5 days to get everything out of it. Personally last year, I too didn’t attend O week due to commitments in NSW, there wasn’t much to be missed out on. However, the one that you don’t want to miss is the Medical Science Course Orientation (not to be confused with the School of Medical Science which includes all the health programs). That is the day that you will be meeting all your classmates for the next 2 years, as well as meeting and being guided by the second year students that you’ll be interacting with a lot during your first year at Griffith.

Last edited:
O week gives you a feel for the university, you don’t need to attend all 5 days to get everything out of it. Personally last year, I too didn’t attend O week due to commitments in NSW, there wasn’t much to be missed out on. However, the one that you don’t want to miss is the Medical Science Course Orientation (not to be confused with the School of Medical Science). That is the day that you will be meeting all your classmates for the next 2 years, as well as meeting and being guided by the second year students that you’ll be interacting with a lot during your first year at Griffith.
Thanks Lyyrre, sounds good. How could we find out the details of the week and when the Medical Science Course Orientation is on?

sd02

I sent an email to them(griffith), and part of their reply was as follows:
3 A Level subjectsh
A* A* A* will give an ATAR of 99.50
A* A* A will give an ATAR of 98.00

4 A Level subjects
A* A* A* A* will give an ATAR of 99.95
A* A* A* A will give an ATAR of 99.70

My full results were 3A*1B. I did the 4th subject as an extra one. It seems due to the 'B' grade, they must have reduced my ATAR instead of it being 99.50 due to my 3A* ☹

I searched through my emails and I found another later email I had sent to them in which they said that even if I had done 4 subjects, it was possible to use just my best 3 subjects to give an ATAR of 99.50. So I called griffith and they now say that they don't convert A Levels to ATAR(what!?) and that it is done by QTAC. When I call QTAC they say they only convert to an OP rank and that conversion to an ATAR is done by the university! Is there anything I can do? I feel like I have been disadvantaged.

Hey as I far as I know, for the medical science degree Griffith calculate an aggregate (not ATAR) based on 4 A Level subjects not 3. Where you can score an aggregate of between 0 to 24 where an A* = 6 points A = 5, etc. The minimum aggregate score required is 22. However the minimum requirement is that you get 2 A* and 2 A grades. So although you have accumulated 22 points you have not got 4 min A grades across the board. This could possibly be the reason why you didn't get an offer. Honestly I think the system is highly flawed and puts the CIE NZ students under a lot of undue stress.

REGULAR JOE

Hey as I far as I know, for the medical science degree Griffith calculate an aggregate (not ATAR) based on 4 A Level subjects not 3. Where you can score an aggregate of between 0 to 24 where an A* = 6 points A = 5, etc. The minimum aggregate score required is 22. However the minimum requirement is that you get 2 A* and 2 A grades. So although you have accumulated 22 points you have not got 4 min A grades across the board. This could possibly be the reason why you didn't get an offer. Honestly I think the system is highly flawed and puts the CIE NZ students under a lot of undue stress.
Thank you for your reply. I emailed them yesterday.....I got a reply just now... they said that they had made a mistake.... and that I will be given an offer in next week's round!!!! YEEEES!!!😍🥳

REGULAR JOE

Are the first 2 years unbonded for everyone? For the MD part, what gpa would I need to be guaranteed of an unbonded place?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Are the first 2 years unbonded for everyone? For the MD part, what gpa would I need to be guaranteed of an unbonded place?

Yes, they are. And I think the general consensus is high 6. If you read back through this thread, or do a search, it’s definitely been discussed before.

UpTheGunners

Griffith MD II

Unbonded and bonded spots are determined by the GPA you finish with when you graduate Medical Science, not MD. There is no rural placements or anything in the first 2 years since you are doing essentially a biomedical science/premed degree with a couple of subjects run by the School of Medicine.

The bottom 28.5% of the medical science cohort are bonded in the Doctor of Medicine (you sign contract at end of undergrad degree) but every student at the end of the degree still nominates preferences for either unbonded, bonded or bonded scholarship spots in MD. Bonded scholarship spots are similar to bonded spots but give an addition 20-40k per year to your income every year you work in a rural area for a 6 year contract (unlike bonded which is just 3 years). These rural bonded scholarship spots can sometimes be even more lucrative then unbonded spots.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Does griffith only allow deferring under extreme circumstances(like utas and monash) or very easily like JMP?
No, you can defer with no reason at all prior to beginning the undergrad degree, as well as prior to beginning the MD, and I believe you could do it during the undergrad degree as well. Once you have started the MD deferring is a little more difficult (adequate reasoning needs to be provided) but I haven’t heard of anyone getting knocked back as ultimately the school would rather everyone get through the degree rather than leave halfway through.

REGULAR JOE

No, you can defer with no reason at all prior to beginning the undergrad degree, as well as prior to beginning the MD, and I believe you could do it during the undergrad degree as well. Once you have started the MD deferring is a little more difficult (adequate reasoning needs to be provided) but I haven’t heard of anyone getting knocked back as ultimately the school would rather everyone get through the degree rather than leave halfway through.
Thank you Crow for your reply.
Do you know if I can accept the offer next week, and then change it to 'defer' around early February?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thank you Crow for your reply.
Do you know if I can accept the offer next week, and then change it to 'defer' around early February?
Yes, you’d just need to do it prior to the census date I think. Maybe email Niru to check that would be ok with perhaps an explanation of why you’re considering deferral.