• ALL USERS: please familiarise yourself with the MSO Forum Rules (updated 03/08/20).
  • When interviews and offers are released, you can rest assured posts will appear at MSO. Repeatedly asking 'have interview invites been released yet' won't make it happen any faster and such posts will be deleted.
  • UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

Griffith Griffith Provisional Med General Discussion

REGULAR JOE

What issue(s) are you having? I’m sure it’d benefit everyone if you just posted here.
It's not actually an issue per se (I can still enrol), but I'm not sure.
1 thing is that I am able to enrol for Year 2 classes, as well as a Trimester 3 class, right now.
Another is that for some courses, all the time options were labelled as 'full'.
I also wanted to ask what elective they chose, and whether the reason for choosing it was they thought it was easier to score in, or because they liked it
Exams- Except for 1 course, all the other courses didn't have an 'exam' to select. I was wondering why?

I also wanted to ask if they knew what would happen if I get sick and become unable to attend the Human Skills for Medicine exam, or if I fail it, what would happen?

I know these questions might seem overly compulsive, but that's whats in my head right now! Annotation 2020-01-26 183343.png

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Crow

Staff
It's not actually an issue per se (I can still enrol), but I'm not sure.
1 thing is that I am able to enrol for Year 2 classes, as well as a Trimester 3 class, right now.
Another is that for some courses, all the time options were labelled as 'full'.
I also wanted to ask what elective they chose, and whether the reason for choosing it was they thought it was easier to score in, or because they liked it
Exams- Except for 1 course, all the other courses didn't have an 'exam' to select. I was wondering why?

I also wanted to ask if they knew what would happen if I get sick and become unable to attend the Human Skills for Medicine exam, or if I fail it, what would happen?

I know these questions might seem overly compulsive, but that's whats in my head right now! View attachment 3276
You only need to enrol in trimester 1 courses you intend to take this year. Anything else is overkill. Some courses include exams as part of enrollment. Others don’t list exams even though they’re part of the course - that’s just how it works.

REGULAR JOE

You only need to enrol in trimester 1 courses you intend to take this year. Anything else is overkill. Some courses include exams as part of enrollment. Others don’t list exams even though they’re part of the course - that’s just how it works.
Thank you! 🙂

REGULAR JOE

Just one thing, for several courses, when I went to select the date and time, all the options were 'full'. I selected a full time anyway, but it won't let me submit my enrolment. The problem is that I received the offer last Friday, and the deadline to enrol is Tuesday. I cant call the university until Tuesday since Monday is a holiday

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
Just one thing, for several courses, when I went to select the date and time, all the options were 'full'. I selected a full time anyway, but it won't let me submit my enrolment. The problem is that I received the offer last Friday, and the deadline to enrol is Tuesday. I cant call the university until Tuesday since Monday is a holiday
Read back through this thread or do a search as I clearly recall Crow (and possibly @lyrre) explaining this several times previously.

Crow

Staff
Enrol in the subjects you can do so that you don’t have any problems with QTAC, then follow up with the ones you can’t. For the courses you can’t enrol in due to them being full, look up the course code/name on Google and you should find the name and email of the course convenor. Email them and they’ll be able to sort it out for you.

REGULAR JOE

If anyone is interested in a shared apartment with 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms approx.3km from nathan campus please PM me

iroh

Besides some electives, most of the class attendance in the summer months aren't compulsory. There is a 1 week break between the end of Tri 2 and start of Tri 3, a 2 week Christmas/NY break in the middle of Tri 3, and a 2 week break between the end of Tri 3 and start of Tri 1. Depending on the elective you choose, it is entirely possible to go home during trimester 3 if you're an interstate or international student once you have completed the compulsory components of your elective, you will just be watching the lectures for the remaining courses online (and missing out on some tutorials).
hey, wouldnt you have exams during the term that you would need to attend in person?

Crow

Staff
Approximately how much would the total fees for a year be for this course - Total expenses ie textbooks, course fees etc.
Course fees are approx 10k per year but you can put that on HECS, same with the student and amenities fee which IIRC is around $130 per semester. As for textbooks, you should be able to get by without them completely and/or source them free online or from the library, but if you do decide to buy them, you’ll have to look up the prices yourself. You can get them quite cheap second hand from StudentVIP or some of the Facebook textbook buy and sell pages if you don’t want to buy them outright.

Crow

Staff
Actually PhuBaothao I will have to amend that - the total degree will probably be somewhere between 27-30k but because you’re doing it in an accelerated two years the fees will be closer to 14k per year or something around there - again, this can all go on HECS so it shouldn’t change anything.

Crow

Staff
bump

bump
Please don’t bump posts that you literally posted less than a day ago. The best person to answer your questions is probably Lyyrre or UpTheGunners (who are both busy people, probably in exam block right now) and it’s unrealistic to expect you will always get an immediate reply. Please be patient.

Unless the classes are labs, you should be fine to skip them without an explanation. The course convenors should let you swap time slots for that week or organise something else for you if necessary.

UpTheGunners

Griffith BMedSci II
I will be undertaking my first year of BMedSci at Griffith Uni in 2020 and I am looking to apply as a non-standard at WSU, JMP & UNSW for the 2021 intake. Due to Griffith's unique accelerated course I will be doing 3 Trimesters in my first year and will be mid-way my third trimester when offers come out in mid-Jan 2021. I was wondering since i am basically studying all year, if i get an interview offer from any of the unis which is likely to be during the term, would that be enough reason for be to skip class? or do it at a later date because i dont mind doing classes early to free up time for interviews. Also how intense is the third trimester of first year of griffith med sci. I am planning to do 4 courses in the third tri. I understand
3001MSC - Science of Infection Control is an online class so that wont be much of a hassle.

Advice from anyone who has completed first year griffith medsci would be great!
Hi Iroh, honestly haven’t been on MSO man. Was in a constant cycle of partying and hibernating after finals finished Monday and Tuesday

In tri 3 you have 3 core subjects one being epidemiology, SOIC and research project and one elective (so 4 total). There are no classes for research project and only online classes for soic. Epidemiology courses run over a month from November to December just before the mid tri break during Christmas. Even taking into account the classes for your elective, you will barely have any classes at uni (max 2 days a week if you schedule properly) and after epi and your elective is done, you will legit have a ‘holiday’ all of Jan and half of Feb. So honestly tri 3 will legit be the most chill trimester in all of medsci and because of this, most interstate and international students went back to their homes for a solid 6 weeks until it was time for exams which we just finished this week. But even if your interviews fall on a day you have class it should be fine since I remember that people were allowed to miss compulsory classes for human skills in tri 2 since they were sitting GAMSAT. Honestly it’s not anything to worry about and if you talk with your course convenor, they will understand fine (although if you take Essential Skills as an elective you may find it a bit more of a hassle since the convenor is more stringent on attendance but even then, only 2 days a week I had this course).

yoooo

Hiya, was wondering how bonded places for sunshine coast uni will be allocated. Will they be allocated to the bottom 20-something % of the 20 cohort in usc, or will they be allocated to the 20-something% of the cohort who are all completing provisional med sci/doctor of medicine from ALL Griffith campus (so sunshine coast, gc and Nathan). Thanks!

Crow

Staff
Hiya, was wondering how bonded places for sunshine coast uni will be allocated. Will they be allocated to the bottom 20-something % of the 20 cohort in usc, or will they be allocated to the 20-something% of the cohort who are all completing provisional med sci/doctor of medicine from ALL Griffith campus (so sunshine coast, gc and Nathan). Thanks!
Great question. Best to ask Griffith and report back here. My suspicion would be that they’ll directly compare the GPAs of USC/Nathan/GC grads entering the MD in 2021 rather than separating the cohorts into GC/Nathan and SC and giving bottom 28.5% in each separate cohort BMPs; but this is speculation and you’re best to get an official answer from Griffith. To be honest with you, I wouldn’t be surprised if they haven’t even considered that particular issue yet.

Ian Naga

Lurker
As per the information from USC below, it states 28.5% of places. So if your class is 23, 6 or 7 will be offered bonded.

>>>>>>>>>>>>USC<<<<<<<<<<<<
Admission criteria
Bachelor Medical Science with a minimum GPA of 5.00 at time of application
Maintain GPA for final semester.
A minimum passing grade in MED202 Communication Skills for Medicine

Offers
Conditional offers will be made on November 2nd. You must respond to this offer within the stipulated time frame or your offer will lapse.
Confirmed offers will be made when we receive official confirmation of your final semester results.
To accept your confirmed offer you must enrol within 7 days or your offer will lapse.
Fee Types: Unencumbered CSP and Bonded CSP (BMP)
Bonded Medical Places Program – BMP
health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/reformed-bonded-programs-resources
28.5% of places
>>>>>>>>>>
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Note: If you do not complete the online application by the 15 August, 2020, it will
be assumed you are declining your place in Griffith's Doctor of Medicine (5099) program.

Keeping Track: You will be able to track of your application progress online.

Offers Released: Offers will be released 2 November, 2020. All offers will be for places located at the Sunshine Coast teaching location (Sunshine Coast Institute of Health.) Offers will be conditional until we have official confirmation of your final semester results, including confirmation that you have passed Communication Skills for Medicine.

Offer Type: Conditional offers will be made on your first 5 semester results. 28.5% of the places (approximately 6 places) will be bonded. https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/work-st-bmp

Enrolment: Once you receive the Starting@Griffith email, you will have 7 days to enrol in
the Doctor of Medicine (5099) program. If you do not enrol within 7 days your offer will lapse.

Deferral: If you plan to defer commencement the Doctor of Medicine until 2022 please ensure you still complete the online application form.
To defer please email your request to: medicine@griffith.edu.au by 30 September, 2020.

mgbh25

Lurker
Hello,

I'm just a little confused as to how provisional entry into Griffith/USC med works. I understand that, firstly you will need to get a very high ATAR to even get an offer into medical science, and secondly, you will need to maintain a GPA >5.0 and a minimum grade of pass in Human Skills for Medicine to progress into MD.

If you meet the above requirements, are you definitely guaranteed an entry into MD or will you be ranked within your cohort and only a few top ranking students will be selected?

Also does anyone know how many places are available for domestic, non-rural students in the undergrad medical science course?

Thank you so much for your help!

Lyyrre

Griffith MedSci II
Hello,

I'm just a little confused as to how provisional entry into Griffith/USC med works. I understand that, firstly you will need to get a very high ATAR to even get an offer into medical science, and secondly, you will need to maintain a GPA >5.0 and a minimum grade of pass in Human Skills for Medicine to progress into MD.

If you meet the above requirements, are you definitely guaranteed an entry into MD or will you be ranked within your cohort and only a few top ranking students will be selected?

Also does anyone know how many places are available for domestic, non-rural students in the undergrad medical science course?

Thank you so much for your help!
Second year Griffith Med Sci here, you are exactly correct - nice to see you’ve done your research before posting. Everyone who is admitted to the B. Medical Science will be guaranteed a spot into the Griffith MD provided you meet the criteria’s of GPA 5+ and pass in the human skills for medicine course. The difficulty, of course, is getting the ATAR to get into the course.

There are 80 domestic spots for the B Med Sci (30 GC, 30 Nathan, 20 USC).

A1

Admissions Speculator
There are 80 domestic spots for the B Med Sci (30 GC, 30 Nathan, 20 USC).
I think you need to update yourself on this^ ;)
The year just now Griffith made offers to well more than 30 GC 30 Nathan. The enrolment numbers are well up as well iirc.

Lyyrre

Griffith MedSci II
I think you need to update yourself on this^ ;)
The year just now Griffith made offers to well more than 30 GC 30 Nathan. The enrolment numbers are well up as well iirc.
Yep definitely aware of that hahahaha. The cutoff dropped to 99.50 with about 40-50 domestic places per campus for 2020. Then again we never know how admissions will work next year so 30 is just a safe number.