• ALL USERS: please familiarise yourself with the MSO Forum Rules (updated 03/08/20).
  • When interviews and offers are released, you can rest assured posts will appear at MSO. Repeatedly asking 'have interview invites been released yet' won't make it happen any faster and such posts will be deleted.
  • UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

Griffith Griffith Provisional Med General Discussion

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
Yep definitely aware of that hahahaha. The cutoff dropped to 99.50 with about 40-50 domestic places per campus for 2020. Then again we never know how admissions will work next year so 30 is just a safe number.
There was some talk originally that the drop in ATAR might have been due to a smaller than normal QLD year 12 leaver cohort, but your reply above suggests it was actually because Griffith over-offered by a fair bit compared to previous years. Do you know what their reasoning was for this? And whether it'll have a flow on effect for the relevant grad entry year?

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Lyyrre

Griffith MedSci II
There was some talk originally that the drop in ATAR might have been due to a smaller than normal QLD year 12 leaver cohort, but your reply above suggests it was actually because Griffith over-offered by a fair bit compared to previous years. Do you know what their reasoning was for this? And whether it'll have a flow on effect for the relevant grad entry year?
I’m unfortunately not familiar with the specifics or the reasoning, although it is true that Griffith did over offer for the undergraduate pathway in 2020. Assuming that Grad Entry intake remains at 200 domestic places (including intake from the B Med Sci pathway), it’s reasonable to suggest that there would be a flow-on effect for the 2022 entry into Griffith MD, perhaps higher GAMSAT/GPA requirements.

Crow

Staff
I think it was a combination of those factors that caused the decreased cutoff. I can take a stab in the dark ( ;) ) and say that it's more financially profitable for the uni to increase their medical science pathway intake, so I'm thinking they weren't too concerned about the over-offering given that they can just cut down the grad entry numbers for that year with no harm done. I had also heard through the grapevine earlier last year that the idea of converting to all-provisional/Griffith grad entry (similar to the way Monash does it) or at least increasing the provisional entry cohort size had been floated, so maybe this is the effect of that idea.

Certainly we can expect a big increase in graduate entry cutoffs when this cohort makes its way through - there will be the double effect of the Sunshine Coast cohort and this very large GC/Nathan cohort taking up many of the places that originally would've gone to graduate entry.

A1

Admissions Speculator
increasing the provisional entry cohort size had been floated
UWA did this 3 years ago. With a quota of 200 places the year I got in it was split 100 provisional 100 grad entry, two years later they changed to 140 / 60. The 40 places taken from grad entry were for the new Broadway/EAS pathway for disadvantaged schools. So getting into UWA grad entry has become much harder.

Crow

Staff
UWA did this 3 years ago. With a quota of 200 places the year I got in it was split 100 provisional 100 grad entry, two years later they changed to 140 / 60. The 40 places taken from grad entry were for the new Broadway/EAS pathway for disadvantaged schools. So getting into UWA grad entry has become much harder.
A far better cause than any potential shift of Griffith's grad entry places would be going to!

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Those damn underprivileged children taking my damn medical spots! /s

Last edited:
Second year Griffith Med Sci here, you are exactly correct - nice to see you’ve done your research before posting. Everyone who is admitted to the B. Medical Science will be guaranteed a spot into the Griffith MD provided you meet the criteria’s of GPA 5+ and pass in the human skills for medicine course. The difficulty, of course, is getting the ATAR to get into the course.

There are 80 domestic spots for the B Med Sci (30 GC, 30 Nathan, 20 USC).
Hi Lyyrre,
What exactly is the Human Skills for medicine course, is that like an interview after BMed or just a part of the curriculum?
Thanks!

Lyyrre

Griffith MedSci II
Hi Lyyrre,
What exactly is the Human Skills for medicine course, is that like an interview after BMed or just a part of the curriculum?
Thanks!
The Human Skills for Medicine is a course that's part of the curriculum, it's taken during Trimester 2 of First Year and counts as 10 credit points towards completion of the degree. They teach you how to interact with patients and what being a doctor is about (the most enjoyable course in my experience, very humanitarian based). At the end of the trimester, you sit a multistation "OSCE" (MMI structured) exam talking to simulated patients, and they assess you on your communication skills, the pass rate is incredibly high so it's not often seen as a major barrier to entry into the MD.

cocodreams

Does Griffith uni both in NSW and Queensland only offer provisional entry? I did some research and I believe there is no direct entry for school leavers, is that true? If I were to put down Griffith in my QTAC preferences, which one would I place , sort of confused.

Crow

Staff
Does Griffith uni both in NSW and Queensland only offer provisional entry? I did some research and I believe there is no direct entry for school leavers, is that true? If I were to put down Griffith in my QTAC preferences, which one would I place , sort of confused.
Which Griffith uni in NSW are you referring to? It’s big news to me ;) You can either go through provisional entry or graduate entry, but not direct entry medicine from school.

cocodreams

Oh whoops haha I think because you can apply for Griffith through UAC I may have assumed there is one in NSW and I think someone told me as well (clearly wrong).

Crow

Staff
Oh whoops haha I think because you can apply for Griffith through UAC I may have assumed there is one in NSW and I think someone told me as well (clearly wrong). I haven't yet checked unis through UAC so please correct me if I am wrong!
There’s just the campuses in QLD. You were able to apply through UAC previously but I recall reading they removed that possibility this year? I’m not sure. There are 3 different campuses you can apply to for provisional entry (GC/Nathan/Sunshine Coast) and these are separate preferences with different cutoffs.

cocodreams

There’s just the campuses in QLD. You were able to apply through UAC previously but I recall reading they removed that possibility this year? I’m not sure. There are 3 different campuses you can apply to for provisional entry (GC/Nathan/Sunshine Coast) and these are separate preferences with different cutoffs.
Right, that makes more sense :) Thanks!

q8888315

I think it was a combination of those factors that caused the decreased cutoff. I can take a stab in the dark ( ;) ) and say that it's more financially profitable for the uni to increase their medical science pathway intake, so I'm thinking they weren't too concerned about the over-offering given that they can just cut down the grad entry numbers for that year with no harm done. I had also heard through the grapevine earlier last year that the idea of converting to all-provisional/Griffith grad entry (similar to the way Monash does it) or at least increasing the provisional entry cohort size had been floated, so maybe this is the effect of that idea.
If it is more profitable for Griffith to increase provisional entry places, why this provisioanl entry places are strictly only offered to students who have not finshed any uni years. If yes, I think tons of students who have done 1-2 years of uni will certainly apply

Crow

Staff
If it is more profitable for Griffith to increase provisional entry places, why this provisioanl entry places are strictly only offered to students who have not finshed any uni years. If yes, I think tons of students who have done 1-2 years of uni will certainly apply
Griffith easily fills their provisional entry quota every year (in fact the ATAR cutoff is insanely high) so they have no need to increase the size of the applicant pool even more! If they opened applications to non-standards then the cutoff would definitely increase to GPA 7 / ATAR 99.95, and they'd need to implement some form of secondary differentiator (UCAT +/- interview) to separate candidates - more work for the uni.

A1

Admissions Speculator
You will find that all the med schools that make provisional offers also have a GAMSAT grad-entry pathway. So the logic is students who have done 1-2 years of uni are to go that route instead.

Lyyrre

Griffith MedSci II
Griffith has no problem filling their quotas. It’s a high demand course that has about twenty times more applicants than it has places (reading the QTAC data for 2019-2020, 172 school leavers first preferenced the course and a total of 893 people had the course in their preferences, with 85 offers leading to 51 accepted (domestic) places - amongst which only 18 people were year 12 QLDers). Then further reduced to 41 domestic enrolments after other uni offers came out.

They have no problems filling their quotas, many people esp. school leavers want a bite of medicine.

Last edited:

Hi guys.
I'm a student from Victoria, who is trying to apply for undergrad Med at Griffith Uni, and I can't seem to find the course on UAC and QTAC? Does anyone know how to apply because the course itself is not appearing?