Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Medicine: Provisional Entry General Discussion

REGULAR JOE

Yes, you’d just need to do it prior to the census date I think. Maybe email Niru to check that would be ok with perhaps an explanation of why you’re considering deferral.
Thank you Crow!
Just one question, what does 'niru' mean?

On QTAC it says my griffith offer will lapse if I don’t respond to it and enrol by the 21st. I’ve enrolled in classes and it has a green tick with enrolled next to the 5 I will take in 1st trimester. Is that all I’ve gotta do by the 21st or do I need to do the orientation activities, get my student card organised, do the lab safety agreement and all those introductory activities?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
On QTAC it says my griffith offer will lapse if I don’t respond to it and enrol by the 21st. I’ve enrolled in classes and it has a green tick with enrolled next to the 5 I will take in 1st trimester. Is that all I’ve gotta do by the 21st or do I need to do the orientation activities, get my student card organised, do the lab safety agreement and all those introductory activities?
No you should just need to enrol. When I accepted my Griffith offer (many years ago now) I also needed to officially accept my offer via QTAC in addition to enrolling - have you done this also? That should be all you need to do.

Eagle

Hi,
I am new to this forum and it has been extremely helpful reading all the posts, thank you.
I have been offered Griffith Medical Science, Gold Coast. On their webpage, it says there will be no breaks between semesters. However on the Academic Calendar, there are 2 weeks break between each trimester. Does this mean Med Science students follow a different Calendar ? When are the actual breaks and exam dates for Med Science ?

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
Hi,
I am new to this forum and it has been extremely helpful reading all the posts, thank you.
I have been offered Griffith Medical Science, Gold Coast. On their webpage, it says there will be no breaks between semesters. However on the Academic Calendar, there are 2 weeks break between each trimester. Does this mean Med Science students follow a different Calendar ? When are the actual breaks and exam dates for Med Science ?

Med Sci students follow the official Griffith Academic Calendar with Trimesters 1 and 2 as with all other degrees, there are breaks between trimesters. I think what the webpage is referring to is that part of the degree is a Trimester 3 (for first year only) that goes from Oct – Feb which most degrees don't have, meaning you don't get a summer break. The Trimester 3 schedule should be on the Griffith Academic Calender 2020, our degree follows that calendar exactly.

REGULAR JOE

Med Sci students follow the official Griffith Academic Calendar with Trimesters 1 and 2 as with all other degrees, there are breaks between trimesters. I think what the webpage is referring to is that part of the degree is a Trimester 3 (for first year only) that goes from Oct – Feb which most degrees don't have, meaning you don't get a summer break. The Trimester 3 schedule should be on the Griffith Academic Calender 2020, our degree follows that calendar exactly.
Will there be any holiday at all during the summer months?

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
Will there be any holiday at all during the summer months?

Besides some electives, most of the class attendance in the summer months aren't compulsory. There is a 1 week break between the end of Tri 2 and start of Tri 3, a 2 week Christmas/NY break in the middle of Tri 3, and a 2 week break between the end of Tri 3 and start of Tri 1. Depending on the elective you choose, it is entirely possible to go home during trimester 3 if you're an interstate or international student once you have completed the compulsory components of your elective, you will just be watching the lectures for the remaining courses online (and missing out on some tutorials).

Eagle

Thank you very much Lyrre. How do you find the course. I am moving from NSW and am very nervous about such a heavy workload during the first year. I plan to make some trips home during breaks. Is this possible or will workload from the course make this impossible.

Eagle

Thank you very much Lyrre. How do you find the course. I am moving from NSW and am very nervous about such a heavy workload during the first year. I plan to make some trips home during breaks. Is this possible or will workload from the course make this impossible.
Noted your reply above.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I

Due to the nature of BMP/CSP allocation based on academic merit during the first 2 years, students tend to work very hard to keep their GPA as high as possible. If this becomes the sole focus of their study, then students can sometimes stress themselves out trying to maintain a maximum GPA. What this also means is that maintaining the 5.0 GPA needed to satisfy the MD provisional entry isn't very difficult at all, and the workload to maintain this GPA shouldn't be a problem given that you got into the course in the first place. How difficult depends on what you want to achieve.

Unlike HSC/IB exams (or SACE/WACE/OP/NTCET/VCE/TCE for that matter), the study between Trimesters isn't continuous. Once one course ends at the end of the trimester, you are completed with that course, it doesn't carry onto the next trimester. So those breaks that you get, are actual breaks where you don't need to do study at all, most people go home during those breaks and just relax. Of course the content builds upon each other, but if you just have the most basic foundations of the previous courses you've completed, you'll be fine with the courses in the following Trimester – so there's no need for revision between trimesters.

MHX

Besides some electives, most of the class attendance in the summer months aren't compulsory. There is a 1 week break between the end of Tri 2 and start of Tri 3, a 2 week Christmas/NY break in the middle of Tri 3, and a 2 week break between the end of Tri 3 and start of Tri 1. Depending on the elective you choose, it is entirely possible to go home during trimester 3 if you're an interstate or international student once you have completed the compulsory components of your elective, you will just be watching the lectures for the remaining courses online (and missing out on some tutorials).

Hi Lyyrre, I just wanted to ask how we find out which electives have compulsory class attendance and which don't? Thanks

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi Lyyrre, I just wanted to ask how we find out which electives have compulsory class attendance and which don't? Thanks
You need to look up the course outlines for each of the elective options - just google the course codes and it should come up on the Griffith website. The listed classes will indicate whether there will be compulsory attendance for a class. As a general rule: laboratories, tutorials and workshops are compulsory while lectures are not. There are very few uni subjects that do lectures only (albeit there are still some), so you’ll be tough going to find a subject you’re interested in that you never need to show up to a class for.

• Love
Reactions: MHX

REGULAR JOE

I'm thinking of doing ucat in the 1st year of griffith and applying as non standard to wsu/jmp, or doing gamsat in 2nd year and applying for postgrad usyd. Can someone who has is in/gone through griffith provisional med advice me if the workload would be too much for me to get a good gpa as well as doing well in ucat/gamsat?(especially considering it's a 2year accelerated degree). For a rough idea, I have got 99+ atar.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
I'm thinking of doing ucat in the 1st year of griffith and applying as non standard to wsu/jmp, or doing gamsat in 2nd year and applying for postgrad usyd. Can someone who has is in/gone through griffith provisional med advice me if the workload would be too much for me to get a good gpa as well as doing well in ucat/gamsat?(especially considering it's a 2year accelerated degree). For a rough idea, I have got 99+ atar.

I think I’m in a good position to answer this.

Here is the advice I’m going to give you. From my very limited experience, Griffith is a very good medical school. It has a world class communications course and very convenient access to a lot of hospitals on the Gold Coast being the only public med school there. A lot can and will change in a single year, and you should not make the decision that you want to leave so soon without even being exposed to it first, otherwise your experience will be unnecessarily hard and stressful. The possibility of the UCAT and GAMSAT not going your way (which is entirely possible) could also ultimately let you down when things don’t go to plan.

Now to get more technical, both UCAT and GAMSAT are aptitude tests. Past performance is the best indicator for future performance. It appears that the trend amongst those that sat it, was that those who had a stronger UMAT did better in the GAMSAT, although GAMSAT is more preparable. A few were even able to get 70+ scores on the GAMSAT (96%ile+) with zero preparation.

The workload in med sci is very tough especially if you also want to maintain a high GPA (which is needed for entry into many post graduate medical schools). You will most likely be completely absorbed in the work and trying to meet deadlines frequently, that you will find very limited time for UCAT and GAMSAT prep unless you are very organised and make a concerted effort. That said, as I was saying before, it is a bit of an aptitude test and some people will be able to get 99% with very minimal prep.

Last edited by a moderator:

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Uh hey guys! I have Griffith Gold Coast as my first preference on UAC with a 99.7. It appears as if people are getting offers with results far lower than mine, but I am yet to receive an offer from UAC/QTAC. I already got a letter from UAC on the 10th of Jan saying I received no offers, and I haven't received that same letter today. What should I do? Should I call UAC or Griffith to see whether they even have my ATAR at all or just wait? Is there something I missed?

Last edited:

Cal

vibe
Uh hey guys! I have Griffith Gold Coast as my first preference on UAC with a 99.7. It appears as if people are getting offers with results far lower than mine, but I am yet to receive an offer from UAC/QTAC. I already got a letter from UAC on the 10th of Jan saying I received no offers, and I haven't received that same letter today. What should I do? Should I call UAC to see whether they even have my ATAR at all or just wait? Is there something I missed?
If you plan on taking the offer and studying at Griffith, sure go ahead contact them, that is completely reasonable. But I think if you have no intention of taking the offer once it is given it is wasting both yours, the universities and someone else's (who would take that offer) time, all to get an offer you will turn down. So no, unless it was something I was going to take, I wouldn't pursue it further. Also did you get a UQ offer? Because that will explain it if you had uq as first pref (UAC GC cut-off was 99.75 while qtac was the one that was below 99.75)