Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Question ( health test/ blood test)

sckimvip

Has anyone done a blood test? I think i saw that we have to get a vaccine or have to get a check that we dont carry blood-borne viruses

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Yeah... you get tested for a few diseases that would disqualify you...

and you also have to get a booster if you didn't have enough antibody...

-_- it stings but I'm kind of used to it now...

sckimvip

Yeah... you get tested for a few diseases that would disqualify you...

and you also have to get a booster if you didn't have enough antibody...

-_- it stings but I'm kind of used to it now...

ah i c do we need to get it everyyear or something? you are used to it so do we get it frequently???
How much is it to do the test and stuff?

Shizzy

Staff
Administrator
No you only need it once.
You need the blood serology to test for various antibodies/antigens. Griffith should have sent you the details to be filled out by a doc. If it comes back and you dont have high enough titres of certain antibodies then you need more vaccinations and then another blood tests a month or so later (doctor will tell you when). FUN!

sckimvip

No you only need it once.
You need the blood serology to test for various antibodies/antigens. Griffith should have sent you the details to be filled out by a doc. If it comes back and you dont have high enough titres of certain antibodies then you need more vaccinations and then another blood tests a month or so later (doctor will tell you when). FUN!

thanks shizzy um so when did you take that test? did you take the test b4 you started uni or and when do they normally send you the form?

Last edited:

Shizzy

Staff
Administrator
You should get the form before you start (this is how it is for med). I know someone who had to do it, i dont have to until next year (becuase bmedsc and then mbbs) but im thinking of getting it all out of the way now hehe.

I know for med they wanted them fairly early, ie before you started anything clinical which is week 2 or 3 to my knowledge. With dentistry, clinical things start in semester two so I assume they would allow more time. Its better to start early anyway incase youve missed a vaccine such as hep b because this requires 3 shots (start, 1 month, 6 months) to get you to the right levels. :)

EDIT
This is all assuming that dent vaccination requirements are the same as med. I'm guessing they are the same.

Last edited:

sckimvip

You should get the form before you start (this is how it is for med). I know someone who had to do it, i dont have to until next year (becuase bmedsc and then mbbs) but im thinking of getting it all out of the way now hehe.

I know for med they wanted them fairly early, ie before you started anything clinical which is week 2 or 3 to my knowledge. With dentistry, clinical things start in semester two so I assume they would allow more time. Its better to start early anyway incase youve missed a vaccine such as hep b because this requires 3 shots (start, 1 month, 6 months) to get you to the right levels. :)

EDIT
This is all assuming that dent vaccination requirements are the same as med. I'm guessing they are the same.

thanks shizzy
Has any griffith dent student got that test yet or started it? if so did you guys receive a form or???

Veon

Haven't received anything yet.

Was told all requirements would be detailed and options provided for their completion, in Orientation time.

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
At monash during o-week we are referred to go to the on campus doctor, and for the next 6 or so months people had appointments. I wouldn't worry about it, you'll get plenty of warning, just let things come!

bina

I had my blood tested a few weeks ago.. all clear and more than enough antibodies lol.
It's sinking in that I'm moving away so am def looking forward to meeting everyone at griffith. I've met one person (err... in person that is) so far yay hehe!

sckimvip

Hey bina looking forward to see you at griffith
jus wondering did you get a form that you need to fill out for the test? what do you call that test anyway? what did you say when you went to the hospital? like what type of blood test

bina

hi sckimvip... see you in a few weeks!

On the green sheet i was given after my interview last year, it says testing for hep b, c, and aids and check immunity for hep b. Thats what i relayed to the doctor. i don't have a form or anything (wasn't sure if we needed one) so i've got the original copy of my results from the lab. I'm sure they'll let us know what furthur documents are needed.
I'll be contacting the uni tomorrow to confirm some things so i'll double check (i hope i don't need any more needles eeek) and post as soon as i know.

Veon: stuff.. can represent many many different things to like. so yeh.. i do like stuff lol. yourself? =)