• MSO wishes all applicants the best of luck in the UCAT!
    Remember, it is important not to post content about specific questions until this season is over (feel free to message a moderator about questions that we can collate later) but we would love to hear about your experiences and results!
    Cheers, Mana
    P.S. you can't dismiss this message

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Undergraduate Dentistry 2009

jazmataz

are u sure about that...
i dunno im still overwhelmed abt the whole full fee paying thing and affordability...
so is it CSP for the first three years and then full fee for the last two masters years?...

Mana

Registrar
Administrar
It is not a master's - it's a Graduate Diploma.

Bluebird

and are the last 2 years full fee? i remember seeing somewhere on the forums that the last 2 years adds to about 90k. but on their site it says 3 years CSP. i think theres something they arent telling us.
Heres the deal with fees:

Theres no full fee paying from now on (2008 was the last year for it. And I got the last position :D :D :D) Which means only CSP (commonwealth supported position). You pay per subject and there are 4 or 5 per semester (for three years). I dont know how much they are since Im not on HECS but theyre not too expensive. However this increases a fair bit once you go up to 2nd and 3rd years (due to materials and instrument costs. probably also insurance since we're sticking our hands down each others mouths lol). Aus citizens have the option of HECSing it (pay it off when you're working as a dentist) however internationals must pay upfront. You'll have to ask someone whos on HECS for the exact costs (I think its around $4000 per subject)

But once you get to 4th and 5th year (graduate diploma years) it is FULL FEE for EVERYONE. This is ~$40,000 to $50,000 per year (for two years = ~$100,000). Same rules, aus citizens can FEE-HELP it (the same as HECS) but internationals must pay upfront. So start saving now. You have 3 years.

There are also deposits on instruments which are hundreds, up to thousands of dollars. You dont have to worry about that til 3rd year though.

abc101

Hey Bluebird ,
Could u give us an idea of the type of questions they asked u last year? Was there anything really random and out of the blue?

Bluebird

Hey Bluebird ,
Could u give us an idea of the type of questions they asked u last year? Was there anything really random and out of the blue?
Just the usual questions you'd expect:
-Why do you want to be a dentist?
-Why do you want to go to Griffith? (They might ask if you applied anywhere else)
-2 or 3 scenario questions
-How will you feel inflicting pain on children? (that threw me!!)
-What are some ethical issues a dentist might encounter in their line of work?

Uhh I really can't remember anything else. I think they asked me about my study habits and lifestyle to make sure you have the right balance between study/play. Oh yeah I said I'd already been accepted into student accom and they said "how will you survive living away from your parents?" and "will you be able to balance cooking/looking after yourself with studying". I think all of these qu's are to make sure they don't give you a position and then you drop out because you can't handle living away from home...

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more

ToothFairy

Who think i'll get into dent at GRIFFITH?!

Hey guys,

I'm so excited, i got declined an interview for dentistry at griffith and was placed on the waiting list, then today i got offered an interview. UMAT 158.

I couldn't believe it, so thanks to all those people who declined their offers ^_^

Also, what do you think my chances are of getting in:
UMAT 158
GPA approx 4.75
RANK 95/96

I'm thinking i'm gonna have to smash the interview :mellow:

aznboystar

congratulations on getting one
i think u definitely have a chance as griffith places a great deal of emphasis on the interviews.
when is yours btw?

Howth

Haha, that's probably my interview slot they gave you. I didn't let them know I wished to cancel it until a couple days ago after they called me about 3000 times.

aznboystar

anyone whos currently studying at griffith care to estimate the median/average UAI/OP in their cohort and the average/median umat?

it may also be helpful to list the highest and lowest umat and OP/UAI/TER.

i know that it would be different this year since there are no more DFEE places, but it may still give people an indication of where they stand going into the interview.

cheers

purple7

Hey guys thanks for declining your offers i also got an interview
umat - 156
gpa so far 6.5 first year of uni so im wondering if they look at UAI
also if ur at a Uo8 do u get extra points?

wat r my chances?

ToothFairy

congratulations on getting one
i think u definitely have a chance as griffith places a great deal of emphasis on the interviews.
when is yours btw?
My interview was on Monday just gone, i think it went well, they gave me plenty of time to answer the questions, and even gave me more time to basically "sell myself" to them...

Thanks btw, i hope you will be right regarding me getting an interview.

aznboystar

umat - 156

wat r my chances?
ur going to have to call up the uni and ask about the selection criteria.
with regard to the gpa, i think the going to a Go8 uni does make a difference. like a 5.5 at a Go8 uni would be equivalent to a, say 6.5 at a non Go8 uni. but just call up to make sure.

ToothFairy

I rang up. They say there are 72 places available, and three times this number are going to be interviewed.
I was told by the interviewer when i was in the interview that there were 65 places, and three times that amount were getting interviewed, giving you 1/3 chance of gaining a place once you made the interview.

ToothFairy

umat - 156

wat r my chances?
i think it only counts when you've been to a Uo8 uni and your applying to another different Uo8 uni, thats what the UQ website states.

btw, your GPA is awesome, i definitely think you have a great chance! i'm a bit worried about my gpa 4.85

Does anyone know if undergraduates (non-school leavers) compete against other undergrads (non-school leavers) for a place, or do we also compete against other school leavers and mature age students?

Lisa

nah i don't think we compete against each other, i think it's an even playing field unlike places like uwa.
anyone here have their int at griffith on monday at 3.15? if you did then i was in your group :) the head of the dental school interviewed me so that was just slightly intimidating lol! good luck to everyone!