Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Undergraduate Dentistry 2009

Bluebird

that sounds quite hypocritical now seeing as i rejected an interview offer from them

did you reject an interview because griffith isnt go8?

nah i don't think we compete against each other, i think it's an even playing field unlike places like uwa.
anyone here have their int at griffith on monday at 3.15? if you did then i was in your group :) the head of the dental school interviewed me so that was just slightly intimidating lol! good luck to everyone!

Hey Lisa, i'm in OHT as well, just wondering what GPA/rank you think we'll need to get in?

Lisa

Hey Toothfairy, i have no idea what gpa we need to get in, but leonie said last year someone got in with a credit average, so a 5. But that doesnt mean it can't be lower, it just depends on everyone else i guess. By the sound of thinkgs your interview went really well so i'm sure you'll be sweet :)

bigheadache99

Ya Veon probably, though some of his views are controversial.

Controversial? That's being very kind.
More like, a paid mouthpiece from GU Dental Sch. IMO even after I've dissected & debunked his biased "arguments" justifying the profiteering antics of his beloved dental sch at the expense of student quality.

Boris999

I live in Melbourne and got into this with a VCE of 91 and a UMAT of 88. Still not quiet sure if I want to move to Queensland though but have a few days to make a decision...

Any other dentistry students or Grifiths students that can tell me how good the Uni and corse are?

Ashlea

Hey, we have alot of Melbourne people up hear that are doing dentistry. I'm not one of them though.
I've been to all 3 major uni's in Brisbane/Gold Coast, I can't tell you about the chemistry or intro biology subjects, as I took credit. But if you want to do one of the best anatomy courses (1016Msc AND 1017msc) then griffith has it. We don't really touch too much on dental stuff in the first year with only one dental subject which I didn't think was particularly taxing.
Considering its a fairly small campus it's alright everyones a pretty happy bunch of people. But if your not really a sun person, and don't feel that you want to be so far away from home, consider you closer offers first. However you many be surprised how many melbourne people are here.
Did you get any offers from the uni's down there?

Boris999

Hey, we have alot of Melbourne people up hear that are doing dentistry. I'm not one of them though.
I've been to all 3 major uni's in Brisbane/Gold Coast, I can't tell you about the chemistry or intro biology subjects, as I took credit. But if you want to do one of the best anatomy courses (1016Msc AND 1017msc) then griffith has it. We don't really touch too much on dental stuff in the first year with only one dental subject which I didn't think was particularly taxing.
Considering its a fairly small campus it's alright everyones a pretty happy bunch of people. But if your not really a sun person, and don't feel that you want to be so far away from home, consider you closer offers first. However you many be surprised how many melbourne people are here.
Did you get any offers from the uni's down there?

Yeah, I did get a few offers around Melbourne but none of them are directly dentistry offers so this is clearly the best one course wise.

The sun im OK with, I burn easily but The Gold Coast has pretty much been my only holiday destination every year for the past 5-6 years so its not like I don't know what to expect from the weather. As for living away from home, well it'll be sad leaving my friends behind but aside from that shouldn't be a problem.

What's the actual Uni like, outside of the actual lessons and in terms of environment coz being a Melbourne city kid the Uni's I compare with are Monash and Melbourne Uni which are ofcorse very prestigious and all so I am afraid of Uni's which I havent heard much about such as Grifiths

Last edited:

Boris999

Ok, I've officially accepted my offer for Oral health in Dental Science now so you'll be seeing me there this year then!

:cool::rolleyes::D

Veon

I'm not a sun person.
This may strike you as odd considering I study on the gold coast. Though it's part of the reason I took the offer. Change of environment and whatnot, for better or worse.

I never did think i'd ever say I miss the Melbourne weather, but what do you know, I make a point of complaining about the coast-weather at least twice a day.
[offtopic]
Bigheadache, the only thing we really disagree on is my decision to take the Griffith offer over La Trobe, for reasons that are my own. Yeah, I know it's (too) expensive, yeah, I know i'm quite poor, and so it was probably a rather silly financial decision. But i'm sure you know that's not the only reason people pick one place over another. And yeah, I don't like the sun too much, yeah, i'm not a go-to-the-beac-every-day kind of person, and yeah, I don't like the fact that there is little else to do at night other than going to Surfer's for the clubbing, which i detest. Oh, and the fact that everything closes at 5.30pm bothers me quite a bit. It's rather expensive to live on the coast, also.
And no bloody parks to go for a walk in? Bleh.
Good decision, bad decision, it's the one I made and you're free to point out which of two you feel mine was, and I might even agree with you there, but it's my lot to bear, and at this point in time, i remain quite happy, all things considered, with the way I went.
The reason i'm happy now- it could be argued, may have been found elsewhere. It may been a lot better at La Trobe. Then again, it could've been a lot worse.[/offtopic]

Oh, and hey Kate, it's Andrew.

Kapinny

I'm not a sun person.
This may strike you as odd considering I study on the gold coast. Though it's part of the reason I took the offer. Change of environment and whatnot, for better or worse.

I never did think i'd ever say I miss the Melbourne weather, but what do you know, I make a point of complaining about the coast-weather at least twice a day.
[offtopic]
Bigheadache, the only thing we really disagree on is my decision to take the Griffith offer over La Trobe, for reasons that are my own. Yeah, I know it's (too) expensive, yeah, I know i'm quite poor, and so it was probably a rather silly financial decision. But i'm sure you know that's not the only reason people pick one place over another. And yeah, I don't like the sun too much, yeah, i'm not a go-to-the-beac-every-day kind of person, and yeah, I don't like the fact that there is little else to do at night other than going to Surfer's for the clubbing, which i detest. Oh, and the fact that everything closes at 5.30pm bothers me quite a bit. It's rather expensive to live on the coast, also.
And no bloody parks to go for a walk in? Bleh.
Good decision, bad decision, it's the one I made and you're free to point out which of two you feel mine was, and I might even agree with you there, but it's my lot to bear, and at this point in time, i remain quite happy, all things considered, with the way I went.
The reason i'm happy now- it could be argued, may have been found elsewhere. It may been a lot better at La Trobe. Then again, it could've been a lot worse.[/offtopic]

Oh, and hey Kate, it's Andrew.

yea big headache... back off

Ashlea

What's the actual Uni like, outside of the actual lessons and in terms of environment coz being a Melbourne city kid the Uni's I compare with are Monash and Melbourne Uni which are ofcorse very prestigious and all so I am afraid of Uni's which I havent heard much about such as Grifiths

hmm, what sort of enviromental factors are you asking about? I can tell you what I find different about Griffith from the other uni's. Smokers, I find there seems to be more. I don't like smoking, and think it's rather ironic that on the mainly health profession focused campus there are so many smokers. There are fewer grassy areas. Parking, definatly better. There are heaps of coffee places. Majority of the facilities are new. The campus isn't massive so that you'll get lost. There is one major library not 5. There are a bunch of social events on each year.
Prestige wise, I wouldn't be so concerned. QLD's more prestigious uni in the last 2 years, has had one faculty collapse and most of the staff left another faculty. I think that Griffith will give you more experience before you graduate. My friend graduated dent from Griffith last year, and she felt that she was better prepared to work in private practice than the government sector.

gofa

Parking, definatly better.

hey Ashlea, when u say that the parking is definitely better,
in wat context do yo umean by that, as in theres always going to be spots lying around?
cos im interested in purchasing that semester parking pass thing
and how much is that going for? (if u happen to know?)
thanks

Boris999

Hust a couple of questions,

When exactly are we expected to be at Griffiths?

And can we enrol our courses (online) yet? Coz I can't seem to figure it out

Boris999

Ok, I m starting to figure it all out slowly lol

We only enrol for the first semester subjects yea?

Still a bit overwhelming all the different subjects and times and days :huh:

Ashlea

hey Ashlea, when u say that the parking is definitely better,
in wat context do yo umean by that, as in theres always going to be spots lying around?
cos im interested in purchasing that semester parking pass thing
and how much is that going for? (if u happen to know?)
thanks

Hey,
Don't know how much the semester parking pass is, you can find it on griffiths website somewhere. Parking is pretty good if you have one of those pass things, there's a car park right outside one of the lecture theatres!
It is better than my other uni's, one of which cost you $10 and had a maximum 4hr parking limit for the day. Parking is better as the uni isn't in a 2hr parking zone, and it doesn't cost you a weeks rent to park each day. Also, the parking fines are substantially less. But a rough break down of parking, showgrounds $3.50 a day with pass out, across the road from uni; athletics car park $2.50 for 3 hrs or $5 the whole day, in the middle of campus; street parking or tavern parking free, short walk.
But with the pass thing, I didn't have one, but many people in my classes did and they didn't seem to have any problems finding a park. So I would get one of those, I think they have a limit on pass numbers but not sure.
Unfortunately I don't know how good parking will be this year, as the church car park and some of the showground car park is no longer available. :(

Ashlea

Ok, I m starting to figure it all out slowly lol

We only enrol for the first semester subjects yea?

Still a bit overwhelming all the different subjects and times and days :huh:

yes you only enrol for first semester subjects only.

I suggest that you print out the list of the all the lab, tut and lecture times, also print a monday - friday time sheet ranging from 8am-6pm. Write in you lectures first, then fill in the labs you want around it, and fill in the enrolment cart on griffith portal.
TIP: Make sure you are awake when enrolment opens, cos you are competing with ALL first year health students for the same subjects, and you may miss out on your desired lab if you arn't.
Don't stress if the lecture stream you want is full. Chances are some people won't turn up after the first week.

Hope this helps making you less confused!

Oh, and I think that you need to be at uni 2 March, but you'll have orientation the week before.

Boris999

O, I made myself a timetable, just to see how it works out, and ended up with a monster Monday, but then a pretty relaxed rest of the week......
I am going to change it around a bit

how many hours worth of studies do you guys reckon should be MAX in one day?

Oh, be awake when enrollment opens...so is what we are doing is enrolling now, or are we just choosing what we want but the actual "enrolling" has later date?

Last edited:

Shizzy

Staff
Administrator
I think you are actually enrolling now, ashlea's statement is true for every other semester besides year 1 semester 1.