Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Uni Dent Offers

Rah.

I called up GU and they said that all places are now CSP unless you are international where it will be full fee.

Ok. This may sound REALLY stupid. Am very sorry...>.<" but you know how we have the bachelor of oral health in dental science... it is automatic entry into graduate diploma of dentistry right?? :unsure:

premed312

accomodation

so it seems that frm earlier posts ppl are intending to go to GU Village for their accomodation...
are there any other 'on-campus' alternatives?
anyone staying or recommending elsewhre?

p.s. i dont know where to go/choose to stay...

TimmyG

Hey Veon, just wondering, why do you reckon that GUV is such a rip off? As far as I know, it's the only college type accomodation near the campus?

Bluebird

I lived at GUV too. Its a rip off cos the apartments are ****, concrete cells with no decent facilities. Pretty much the only things that are good are the pool, the foxtel in the common room (if you can get the americans off it) and meeting people. Apart from that you pay WAY too much for tiny apartments with no heating/air con, no oven, no dishwasher, dodgy water service, you pay extra for the internet which is expensive, slow and drops out alot. And its realllly noisy.
BUT ! It's fun. and you meet people.

And to the person who said "shuoldnt we live in southport?" well you have 1 hour of lectures and 3 hours of labs every 2nd week in at the hospital. Everything else is at the uni. So if you lived near the hospital then you'd be close for those 4 hours a week, but have to get yourself to the uni for the other 20 or whatever hours. Doesnt make much sense to me. You can get houses in Ashmore (near the uni) if you dont wanna go to the village...

And yeah whoever asked, if you get into dental science, you're automatically into the 2 years of Grad Dip Dent at the end. If you get into dental therapy, you finish after 3 years.

PS: Veon? We're in the same year, both lived at the village?? This is Kate... I probably know you!

Petey9

I called up GU and they said that all places are now CSP unless you are international where it will be full fee.

Ok. This may sound REALLY stupid. Am very sorry...>.<" but you know how we have the bachelor of oral health in dental science... it is automatic entry into graduate diploma of dentistry right?? :unsure:

Hey, i really dont know how Unis work, but i think you have to peform well (...well above average) to move onto years 4 and 5 or the "real deal" to becoming Dentist!

bigheadache99

Hey, i really dont know how Unis work, but i think you have to peform well (...well above average) to move onto years 4 and 5 or the "real deal" to becoming Dentist!

No, you only need to pass Years 1-3 and then entry is automatic.

GU Dent Sch splits the 5-yr degree w/ a "postgrad" last 2 yrs is b/c that's the only way to charge full fees to pay for the huge $200(I think) million bank loan they took on for the med/dent sch. In a way, I can see that GU Dent students are really financing the med students & their facilities.

l2009 said:
I got an OP5/UAI95(?), GPA average of 5.96 and UMAT score of 164.
caramelpumpkin said:
my UAI was 96.60 (not sure if they used this)
gpa... very bad.... not even a credit average... prob 4.8ish

No, no, your scores're the average, at least, for the previous years @ GU (which I know for a fact). This is why I'd normally advise anybody who's not normally competitive for dentistry (e.g. @UQ) to try their luck for GU Dent Sch. The competition is substantially lower & I've seen very, very few rejections.

ToothFairy said:
Hahaha, i am so stoked to get an offer too! I had to read it over a few times just to make sure i read it correctly! I was in Dental Therapy at Griffith but now i get to be a Dentist YAY :lol:

ToothFairy, congrats on your offer for GU Dent $ch. Lets just hope GU will eventually put student interests ahead of $$ & stop the ridiculous pricing of their "$46K & rising/yr grad dip" farce. They should make all 5 yrs of the Dental program HECS only & cease being creative profiteers.

I guess it just goes to show that dental therapy students CAN cross over.

...only if they passed Anatomy & Physiology I & II as I heard these were the greatest cullers in the Common Year. I know that many from the Oral Health & a number from the Dent cohorts won't make it each year, at least for 2007 & earlier - most failures didn't even qualify for supp exams.

premed312

hey guys, does anyone happen to know whether GU Village (accomodation) offer any catering or is it self-cook all the way?

:D:D
ToothFairy... i have been reading your posts over the couple of months and iv developed a soft spot for you purely based on ur determination to study dentistry and now you have DONE IT!! YAY!!!

See you at Griffith Next year :)

Kavin :D

"screw u satac"

Haha, thanks Kavin! :-D that was very nice of you to say so.

Hey Veon, just wondering, why do you reckon that GUV is such a rip off? As far as I know, it's the only college type accomodation near the campus?

Try university villiage which is 3 mins walk, the street is Tonga place, and there's another one called metro something a bit further away.
And from my experience, I think they're all a rip off, but it's worth it for your first year of study, if your not from here.

Nadine :-P

Boris999

Hey Im from Melbourne and I got in with my lowly VCE of 91 and UMAT of 88.....any other Melbournians around?

Also Im wondering where is everyone from interstate gonna stay when you go? :p