Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith's Graduate Diploma of Dentistry - CSP or Full-Fees?

UMAT Veteran

Yeah, the news spreading around 2nd year may or may not have been attributed to me ... hehe.

If it does end up becoming CSP, imagine how cut the 4th and 5th years would feel about just missing out

lol yeah i know. Sucks to be them!

If they happened to change it and i was just starting 4th year, i would have to seriously consider taking a year leave of absence and going into it the following year CSP....But there would probably be another 50 students doing the same thing, then half of them won't get in cus of the third year students coming up...

LemonTea

Senior Procrastinator
Isn't offering CSP places something the uni has to petition the government for? If so, then news of the petition should have been around for a long time, unless they've been keeping it all secret and altering the site means that they think they've made significant progress.

UMAT Veteran

I spoke with admissions again today and they read me an email they got sent about it. Basically, they have decided there will be NO CSP places for entry into the graduate diploma of Dentistry for 2011 (too bad 3rd years).

The grad dip is still however under review and may or may not change in following years. I'm going to put my money on it not changing... If it does change though, I've got a feeling that they would change it for when the next years first years get to it (2014).

qickin

hopefully :)

quick question

ive just looked up on their website, and im a nsw dude,

http://www17.griffith.edu.au/cis/p_cat/admission.asp?ProgCode=1259&Type=apply
"How to apply
Domestic students
Final selection into the Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science program is based on prerequisites being met and your academic qualification.
Griffith students may not apply for this degree by submitting an internal transfer. Griffith students (and other Queensland applicants) must apply to the following centre:
Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC)
NSW and ACT applicants must apply to the following centre:
Universities Admissions Centre (UAC)"

if i've got uac and qtac, must i put it on uac? or can i just put it on qtac?

Bluebird

Hey guys (sorry if anything I say has already been said, i didnt read the whole thread) Im in 3rd year and we've all been going crazy about this in the last week. Apparently they put that up on the website and were going into discussion about whether or not to make it CSP, which would only go into effect for those starting at the very beginning of the 5 years (ie. not me :cry:) but for whatever reason they've changed their minds and it's been taken down :(

qickin

ooh ouch.
just asking, whats the ethnic background of dent ppl at griffith, and the general population?

UMAT Veteran

Just spoke with one of the prof. High up at the school of DOH and they said that the CSP thing on the website was done without the proper authorization. Also mentioned that there is intact discussions about CSPplaces by high up academics in the uni and that the dental school doesn't really have any say in it, but there may be CSP in 2013 (not too sure whether this is at the beginning for the current 2nd years or towards the end and will effect the current first years. I was also told that Griffith will be increasing it's number of international students from 5 to 25 places. And THIS is why they are looking at making it CSP for us, because international students have to pay full fee for their entire degree. So that is why some people in admin are figuring out/discussing logistics of our CSP places. The professor also mentioned that it was most likely that not everyone would get a CSP place and would be dependent on how well you have done in the bachelor of oral health in dental science. I'm going to go ahead and assume that there would be around 20-25 CSP places available (if any).

Please keep in mind that none of this is solid and is speculation by the professor from what they have heard and know.

I'm typing from my phone so it's hard to scroll and read back over what I've written so sorry if it's a bit disjointed or doesn't make sense

l2009

Dependent on how well you do in the first bachelor degree ... if that's the case, I'm stuffed lol.

Can you pls ask your professors what will happen if more than 60 applicants for BOH obtained an OP1?

If every single applicant were to get OP1, then I'm guessing they'll take the people with the highest OP1's. That's the only logical way now that UMAT and interviews are out.

UMAT Veteran

Can you pls ask your professors what will happen if more than 60 applicants for BOH obtained an OP1?

I am pretty sure hat has nothing to do with them. That is all QTAC and big academics NOT at the school of dent that come up with policies for everything. I would assume that they would differentiate between applicants the same way they would differentiate between applicants for any other degree that are on the same rank.

UMAT Veteran

BTW Umat Veteran, which professor did you speak to?

Didn't want to say online because i don't think they'd like to be hassled about anything that was said...especially because nothing is really set in stone. I'm just trying to look out for them for giving me the info.

I can assure you though that this person knows what's what! :)

UMAT Veteran

Just found out today that Griffith is abolishing it's bachelor of oral health therapy (NOT DENTISTRY). They have taken it down from the website and u can't apply for it in 2011. I believe they're doing this to provide the increase in chairs and lecturer resources for international students places to increase from 5 per year to 25 per year. This is the first step to providing us with CSP places :) yay

KIWIpride

I hear its around 65 places. But I am not sure how the seats are allocated to year 12 leaver/non school leavers/internationals etc.

UMAT Veteran

I hear its around 65 places. But I am not sure how the seats are allocated to year 12 leaver/non school leavers/internationals etc.

There is no specific allocations for quota. There are about 65 places available to the top 65 candidates from whatever your current situation. Hypothetically speaking the entire cohort could be made of all non-standard applicants, the same could be said about school leavers. Generally it is a pretty uniform mixture of both (my year tends to lean more towards the non-standards though)

There were 5 internation spaces available this year, but this number is increasing to 25 for next year i've heard. This i believe is the reason they have abolished their bachelor of oral health therapy....to make way for these places.

I should just mention that i KNOW that the internationals places are going from 5 --> 25. I am just not 100% on WHEN and whether the removal of the oral health therapy is what will make space for them. Those parts are just my speculation and educated 'guesses' from things i have heard that aren't solid.

KIWIpride

That is a very significant increase in places for internationals, which means it leaves only around 40 domestic seats. This is going to be interesting...