Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith's Graduate Diploma of Dentistry - CSP or Full-Fees?

Bluebird

ooh ouch.
just asking, whats the ethnic background of dent ppl at griffith, and the general population?

I'd say about 1/3 Indian descent, 1/3 Asian descent and 1/3 caucasian. (very rough figures) Though most were high schooled in Australia etc. A lot move interstate to come here

UMAT Veteran

rumour has it that the 1st years in 2012 will be the first to have CSP Grad dip places available to them (I assume on an 'awarded to X number of the cohorts highest achievers' basis)

Don't know how reputable my source is for that though -_-

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
It will be interesting to see whether FFP will be abolished in the near future. Considering University of Melbourne has FFP for domestic students aswell. It appears to be a new trend which anything which is classified as post-graduate.

l2009

rumour has it that the 1st years in 2012 will be the first to have CSP Grad dip places available to them (I assume on an 'awarded to X number of the cohorts highest achievers' basis)

Don't know how reputable my source is for that though -_-

I reckon that would make things kinda cutthroat since that would essentially pit everyone against each other to get a 'coveted' CSP place (if that were the case). That would suck coz everyone in my year (and im sure in 2nd yr as well) really try and help one another out

vincent168

Stimodont
Oh wow even 1st 3 years there is student contribution despite being CSP?
Also do I need to pay the $49000 upfront when i commence 4th year?
Edit: What's the procedure to apply for government loans?

Last edited:

l2009

Oh wow even 1st 3 years there is student contribution despite being CSP?
Also do I need to pay the $49000 upfront when i commence 4th year?
Edit: What's the procedure to apply for government loans?

Student contribution = what you will pay back once you start earning over the income threshold. The government heavily subsidises most of the cost of your education, but not all of it. Hence, you pay the 'student contribution'. All CSP university courses require you to make a student contribution.

Yeap, it has to be paid upfront when you start 4th year. You apply for the FEE-HELP loan when you're enrolling in 4th year. It's basically a message that popped up when I enrolled ... kept clicking next and voila, I guess I just applied for my FEE-HELP loan, lol

ss99

Hey guys! just a few a questions:

So how do you get a CSP? I am domestic interstate student which means I would already be allocated or do they select the top students in the cohort to receive CSP?

Also what would be the total tuition costs/fees for a CSP if they were to also complete Diploma in Dental Science, $100K?!

Finally would a 6.625 GPA even be borderline entrance for Griffith? :(

l2009

I don't think you can get a CSP in the Grad Dip of Dentistry - it's just full-fee position (although you can take out a interest-free government loan if you're a domestic student). So yeh ... fun-times uni debt.

Limobean

I don't think you can get a CSP in the Grad Dip of Dentistry - it's just full-fee position (although you can take out a interest-free government loan if you're a domestic student). So yeh ... fun-times uni debt.

Grad Dip of Dentistry at GU is still Full Fee sigh...and it's increasing by about $2000 each year. For 2015, it is around
$55 000 a year T_T

The good news is though that the government has abolished the FEE-HELP Limit! So it is no longer capped at around
$110 000 and now we can borrow as much as we want now. :) Because it is a postgrad qualification, there isn't interest either!

But still....it is a lot of debt and would take a long time to pay off.

HotIce

Hi,

Does a GPA of 7 guarantee non-standard entry into this course?

Regards,

DSM

I have spoken to the dental admission officer today (I have a gpa of 7) and she told me that everyone with 6.5+ who also satisfies the requirements are put in an applicants pool (standards and non standards together. They don't discriminate) and they are ranked in a descending order and the uni chooses the best 100 or whatever number they have available.

She said that I am at the top of this pool (without giving me any specific info) and said she can't tell me that I will get in but I am very competitive.

We'll have to wait until the 15th of jan to be certain though

Limobean

I have spoken to the dental admission officer today (I have a gpa of 7) and she told me that everyone with 6.5+ who also satisfies the requirements are put in an applicants pool (standards and non standards together. They don't discriminate) and they are ranked in a descending order and the uni chooses the best 100 or whatever number they have available.

She said that I am at the top of this pool (without giving me any specific info) and said she can't tell me that I will get in but I am very competitive.

We'll have to wait until the 15th of jan to be certain though

Hey @HotIce ! I called them too and they said I was competitive although it would ultimately come down to the quality of applicants for that year. She told me the same thing as what you said and also said that we can get a rank of above 99 (some Griffith staff were unaware of that, only the application department truly knew the procedures and so when they transferred me to the application department, I found this out).

So our GPA 6.5 gets converted into a rank of 99, then any decimal points gets converted to a decimal point as well so 99.XX. And that is ranked against the school leavers ATAR scores too I think. 90 seats for domestic students including both school leavers and non-standards.

She also mentioned that there were no second round offers for 2013 and 2014 and the cutoff scores were GPA 6.6 and 6.55 respectively. So I hope that doesn't increase this year. I also think they won't be participating in second round offers either. What is your opinion on this?

HotIce

Hey @HotIce ! I called them too and they said I was competitive although it would ultimately come down to the quality of applicants for that year. She told me the same thing as what you said and also said that we can get a rank of above 99 (some Griffith staff were unaware of that, only the application department truly knew the procedures and so when they transferred me to the application department, I found this out).

So our GPA 6.5 gets converted into a rank of 99, then any decimal points gets converted to a decimal point as well so 99.XX. And that is ranked against the school leavers ATAR scores too I think. 90 seats for domestic students including both school leavers and non-standards.

She also mentioned that there were no second round offers for 2013 and 2014 and the cutoff scores were GPA 6.6 and 6.55 respectively. So I hope that doesn't increase this year. I also think they won't be participating in second round offers either. What is your opinion on this?

Hey [MENTION=18736]Limobean[/MENTION] :) Thanks for reporting back. I think this is good news for both of us. As I told you before, last year was 6.55 so hopefully it stays the same and doesn't go up. I wasn't told of the 99.XX rank but I kind of knew as there are no other way to rank non standards against school leavers. I guess then a gpa of 7 is given a 99.95 rank?

Re second round offers, It's been GU trend for the past 2 years. I don't think they will this year. If the cut off stays as low as last year, then they definitely won't as there are no way they would go lower than 6.5

The wait is getting to me. I'm trying to distract myself but I couldn't help not call them LOL

dsmalik

Hi,
I do not think that a GPA of 7 is equivalent to a 99.95 ATAR. Given that a high proportion of students have obtained this results. Probably at a maximum a GPA of 7 might be equivalent of 99.00 ATAR. Does Griffith University use WAM to discriminate between applicants who are highly competitive?

Kind Regards,

DSM

HotIce

Hi,
I do not think that a GPA of 7 is equivalent to a 99.95 ATAR. Given that a high proportion of students have obtained this results. Probably at a maximum a GPA of 7 might be equivalent of 99.00 ATAR. Does Griffith University use WAM to discriminate between applicants who are highly competitive?

Kind Regards,

DSM

I have just confirmed with Griffith again. GPA of 6.5 is given a rank of 99.00
GPA of 7.0 is given a rank of 99.95 (a maximum rank since 7 is the maximum GPA)

And no. Griffith does not use WAM to discriminate between applicants. Only GPA is used.

Not many people get a gpa of 7. Just like how not many score an ATAR of 99.95