Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith's Graduate Diploma of Dentistry - CSP or Full-Fees?

Limobean

It was 40-50CSP places before 2010. Basically they had over 1000 applications for those places, so the School increased the number to close to 100. I have no idea what happened last year but it may be due to the ADA advocating a cap on Dental Students and I think the new government has listened to this. The Uni may have wanted to quickly get some more $ in before the caps were in place (Probably to pay off the new building)

Recently, there was a workforce mal-distribution due to the 3 new schools (Total 8) + 200 foreign Dentists passing the ADA exams to become registered in Australia per annum. Most graduates took on Full Time work in the city and decided not go Rural, hence a lot of graduates (15%) working 2 part Dentist jobs in the city, somewhat saturating the cities whereas rurally there were many jobs. A couple of University's tossed up the idea of setting up a dental school but were blocked in addition to this the government has shifted dentistry to a different list for Workforce shortages, meaning it will be a lot harder for foreign dentists to become registered in Australia. The ADA has been asking the previous government to do this since 2011 but they ignored it, however it appears the new government may have done something right for once and listened to the ADA. Which actually bodes well for the future, as if they continue with these changes we should see Full Time jobs (4 months after graduating) increasing from current 83% (Which is 6th in Australia) to pre 2013 levels (90%+), although during this time Dental graduates have still remained the highest earning graduates first year out of University (~$94k in private and $75k in state sector). All Stats are from the Government Released Gradstats which collects data on All University graduates 4 months after graduating (Degree, Employment, Salary)

Woo finally some information regarding this. Thank you for your input.

HotIce

It was 40-50CSP places before 2010. Basically they had over 1000 applications for those places, so the School increased the number to close to 100. I have no idea what happened last year but it may be due to the ADA advocating a cap on Dental Students and I think the new government has listened to this. The Uni may have wanted to quickly get some more $ in before the caps were in place (Probably to pay off the new building)

Recently, there was a workforce mal-distribution due to the 3 new schools (Total 8) + 200 foreign Dentists passing the ADA exams to become registered in Australia per annum. Most graduates took on Full Time work in the city and decided not go Rural, hence a lot of graduates (15%) working 2 part Dentist jobs in the city, somewhat saturating the cities whereas rurally there were many jobs. A couple of University's tossed up the idea of setting up a dental school but were blocked in addition to this the government has shifted dentistry to a different list for Workforce shortages, meaning it will be a lot harder for foreign dentists to become registered in Australia. The ADA has been asking the previous government to do this since 2011 but they ignored it, however it appears the new government may have done something right for once and listened to the ADA. Which actually bodes well for the future, as if they continue with these changes we should see Full Time jobs (4 months after graduating) increasing from current 83% (Which is 6th in Australia) to pre 2013 levels (90%+), although during this time Dental graduates have still remained the highest earning graduates first year out of University (~$94k in private and $75k in state sector). All Stats are from the Government Released Gradstats which collects data on All University graduates 4 months after graduating (Degree, Employment, Salary)

Thank you very much for an informative post. I have been closely monitoring the dentistry situation in Australia for the past 3 years and I completely agree with everything you've written above.

I think the ADA is a good advocate for Australian dentist and they're doing their job, unlike the other allied health associations e.g. pharmacy.

dsmalik

Hi,

Thank you for clarifying the situation. I was wondering what is the minimum non-standard cut off in regards to entry in this course given that there are less places and therefore increased competition.

Regards,

DSM

Limobean

So has the government officially made a statement about caps on dent school places? Would the cap be the same for each school?

UAV

Hi,

Thank you for clarifying the situation. I was wondering what is the minimum non-standard cut off in regards to entry in this course given that there are less places and therefore increased competition.

Regards,

DSM
For 2012 and 2013 entry IIRC it was close to 6.75. The lowest I heard was ~6.6 :) If your GPA is 6.5+ you definitely have a chance.

Last edited:

UAV

So has the government officially made a statement about caps on dent school places? Would the cap be the same for each school?
No official statements, but from what I heard they were listening to this last year, one school was rumoured to open in 2014/2015 (This was back in 2012) and it never occurred. A government that is 'focused' on cutting back costs is more likely to be supportive of some sort of cap as they are against in investing a lot of money in students that may be unemployed.

I have heard in June next year the government plans to shift Dentistry to the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (From the Skilled Shortage List). This is probably the most important thing, more important than capping the amount of Students (As 300 Dentists become registered through the Skilled Shortage List compared to 50 in the 90's).

Limobean

I have heard in June next year the government plans to shift Dentistry to the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (From the Skilled Shortage List). This is probably the most important thing, more important than capping the amount of Students (As 200 Dentists become registered through the Skilled Shortage List).

I see, yes. Once dentistry is moved to the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List, what procedures must they go through to get in? Surely it would be more difficult?

UAV

I see, yes. Once dentistry is moved to the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List, what procedures must they go through to get in? Surely it would be more difficult?
From a foreign dentist (Not registered in Australia) He claimed it will be more difficult. He also said that it could be completely removed all together as there has been significant pressure on the government, it appears to be a "Get in quick before the changes" type thing.

There is about 600 local students expected to graduate + 200-300 (Equivalent to 2-3 extra schools) foreign dentists gaining registrations per year. The removal of Dentistry from the Skills Shortage List will stop any problems. As I have mentioned before though, the current problem is not "Too Many Dentists" this is incorrect, it is more to do with too many choosing to work in the city and not rurally.

Limobean

There is about 600 local students expected to graduate + 200-300 (Equivalent to 2-3 extra schools) foreign dentists gaining registrations per year. The removal of Dentistry from the Skills Shortage List will stop any problems. As I have mentioned before though, the current problem is not "Too Many Dentists" this is incorrect, it is more to do with too many choosing to work in the city and not rurally.

Yeah it seems to be a trend. Maldistribution of dentists with more in the city than rural. That seems to be the case with pharmacists too.

UAV

Yeah it seems to be a trend. Maldistribution of dentists with more in the city than rural. That seems to be the case with pharmacists too.
Yeah, same was occurring / is with Medicine. Hence the Bonded Rural Places (You go rural once you graduate) added with the fact it is very difficult to specialize in medicine compared to 10 years ago. Don't get me wrong, 83% is still a very good level for full time employment straight out of uni. Especially when you look at the poor figures for other degrees, and the pay is good. All my friends that graduated last year found jobs quiet quickly. It's just that it can be a lot better (If you look at past data). It's quite hilarious how the Government's own data supports the removal of Dentistry from the workforce shortage list yet they didn't follow through with it for the current year. I would be surprised if it is not removed completely in the next couple of years. Or before I graduate lol.

UAV

Is it difficult to remove it from the Occupations List? Lots of red tape-kind of stuff?
Not exactly sure. It is on the flagged list though, which means they are monitoring Dentistry and it may be removed in the future (Submissions from Industry Stakeholders)

In addition to this The occupation of dentist has been removed from the Victorian and Queensland Nomination Occupation lists (This is what made me originally think it is beginning to be more difficult for foreign dentists).

Limobean

Not exactly sure. It is on the flagged list though, which means they are monitoring Dentistry and it may be removed in the future (Submissions from Industry Stakeholders)

In addition to this The occupation of dentist has been removed from the Victorian and Queensland Nomination Occupation lists (This is what made me originally think it is beginning to be more difficult for foreign dentists).

I see. Thank you. Let's see what happens in the future. :)

razza

Hey guys, as far as I know Griffith selected over 140 students for the 2014 intake and so the cut-off was much lower than previous years. However, for the 2015 intake was told the School is going to accept far less and so the cut-off should be higher. When I entered the cut-off GPA was 6.75 and as of now we have around ~95 domestic students and about 10 international students remaining. Best of luck!

Not trying to discredit what you're saying but according to official published statistics, in 2014 Griffith made 131 total offers for Dental Science, of which 97 were accepted and only 80 in total enrolled (standards + non-standards).

Where are you getting your information from? From what I've discovered this year, nothing is changing for the 2015 intake including the total number of places on offer.

Here is the link with the official stats:
http://www.qtac.edu.au/Downloads/Statistics/Semester 1 2014/Table_3A_Semester_1_2014_GU.xlsx

HotIce

Not trying to discredit what you're saying but according to official published statistics, in 2014 Griffith made 131 total offers for Dental Science, of which 97 were accepted and only 80 in total enrolled (standards + non-standards).

Where are you getting your information from? From what I've discovered this year, nothing is changing for the 2015 intake including the total number of places on offer.

Here is the link with the official stats:
http://www.qtac.edu.au/Downloads/Statistics/Semester%201%202014/Table_3A_Semester_1_2014_GU.xlsx

You are quoting QTAC and forgot to include UAC as Griffith accepts applicants through both QTAC and UAC.
so the 97 students do not include offers made through UAC which might bring the number up to 140 as UAV and Time said.

And I've heard from different resources that Griffith did mention that it will decrease it's offers for dentistry in 2015.

razza

You are quoting QTAC and forgot to include UAC as Griffith accepts applicants through both QTAC and UAC.
so the 97 students do not include offers made through UAC which might bring the number up to 140 as UAV and Time said.

And I've heard from different resources that Griffith did mention that it will decrease it's offers for dentistry in 2015.

I see, I wonder if UAC publishes their stats as well?

Did anyone from Griffith dentistry actually directly confirm to an applicant that there will be reduced offers this year?

I've read from previous posts that when the cut-off was 99.55 in 2013, the GPA cut-off was 6.6. For 2012 entry, it was also 99.55, and someone with a GPA of 6.625 posted that they received an offer. It will be interesting to see if the cut-off rises above 99.55/GPA 6.6. I suspect many school leavers who achieve 99.5+ will have medicine as their first preference, either at Griffith or elsewhere, and dentistry as a backup.

HotIce

I see, I wonder if UAC publishes their stats as well?

Did anyone from Griffith dentistry actually directly confirm to an applicant that there will be reduced offers this year?

I've read from previous posts that when the cut-off was 99.55 in 2013, the GPA cut-off was 6.6. For 2012 entry, it was also 99.55, and someone with a GPA of 6.625 posted that they received an offer. It will be interesting to see if the cut-off rises above 99.55/GPA 6.6. I suspect many school leavers who achieve 99.5+ will have medicine as their first preference, either at Griffith or elsewhere, and dentistry as a backup.

Well, don't underestimate the popularity of dentistry. A lot of kids (and their parents) are starting to realise the dentistry is a quicker road to autonomy in practice and financial freedom (compared to medicine)

But yeah I guess it will be interesting, but I don't think it will go over 6.75

UAV

Well, don't underestimate the popularity of dentistry. A lot of kids (and their parents) are starting to realise the dentistry is a quicker road to autonomy in practice and financial freedom (compared to medicine)
Agree, I know numerous dental students or recently graduated dentists who chose Dentistry above Medicine, the majority of them had their parents as Medical Doctors. A fair number of them said their parents didn't want them studying Medicine.

UAV

I still think 140 is an inflated figure. It is probably above 100 but no where near 140.