Grounds of FMHS Appeal?

Discussion in 'MBChB' started by AHHHHHH, Feb 10, 2018.

1. AHHHHHH

AHHHHHH Member

Hi, I was wanting some advice on the appeal process and if it's worth giving it a shot.
    I had an 8.5 gpa and a UMAT raw score in the 170s range.
    During my interview, a man interrupted one of my early stations in the MMI by walking in. He interrupted me accidentally of course and quickly left. However, it was enough to imo to disrupt my thought of track and overall performance in both the station I was in and those forthcoming.

So if anyone knows about whether there have been any successful appeals in the past and whether it would be worth giving a shot, or whether that would affect my application as a grad if I were to wish to apply again? That would be awesome.

Thank you

7staroperetta likes this.
  2. Stuart

Stuart Moderator Moderator

Hi there,

I see where you are coming from, but I doubt you will get far with it. Although I can't say it for sure, they will only act on things that are more detrimental or if the integrity of the process was affected.

Overall, it shouldn't affect your future applications.

AHHHHHH likes this.
  3. molive

molive Member

If you really want to appeal, of course nobody can stop you and if you really think it will put your mind at ease I'm not going to say you shouldn't go for it. However, before you appeal, make sure you ask for your interview feedback. If your feedback is inconsistent with the stations you feel you could have done better in then you won't get very far and it would save you a lot of time and would probably offer more closure.

If you did actually appeal, what would you want it to result in? The chances of gaining entry to medical school this year are next to nothing, especially for something so minor. At the very most they might offer you a new interview or for you to repeat first year but again these are incredibly unlikely and only ever been offered (as far as I'm aware) in extreme personal circumstances. The appeal process also involves many people actively involved in the admissions process and, although I'm sure they wouldn't actively hold bias against you in the future, it may do more harm than good.

I know this sucks for you and it's come as a massive shock but I honestly do think you should try and let it go as much as you can. Agonising about this won't get you anywhere and you should be focusing on enjoying your last couple of years before you start your lifelong career if you get into medicine. You're only young after all, you've got so much time and you will be a better doctor for it.

I'm not sure if this will help you but take a look at the following link. You are far from the only person in this situation, in fact some people didn't get in this year with perfect core GPAs. It was a very competitive year and as such I don't think appealing will work.

MBCHB First Year Entry Information - a Official Information Act request to University of Auckland

7staroperetta and jingle bells like this.
  4. AHHHHHH

AHHHHHH Member

Thanks for the replies. molive well if I were to be awarded another fair interview why would my chances of gaining entry to medical school be next to nothing?

5. molive

molive Member

The beginning of school is less than a week away and I doubt they would take anyone, special circumstances or not, more than 2 weeks after the course starts, it's just way too much to catch up on. The appeal process looks like it takes about 3 weeks, maybe more to carry out. This is assuming you have a good reason to get a 'fair' interview, which I have no idea whether you do. Again, your interview feedback should give you more insight on this.

6. AHHHHHH

AHHHHHH Member

Understood, but how is that a valid reason to reject a candidate if she/he meets the threshold? Perhaps an offer for the medical school is given for the following year, either way, fairness should be the top priority. Feedback hasn't been sent out yet, been waiting patiently for over a month.

Thank you

7. molive

molive Member

Sorry, I should have clarified, I meant there is a next to nothing chance of getting a place this year starting. I know that you think this isn't fair and you did have a slight hiccup but honestly I would be very surprised if they thought this was grounds for appeal. I stand by my original statement - this might do more harm than good for you, I personally wouldn't risk it just to save a year. In fact, I didn't risk it and I'm glad it took me 6 years to prepare myself for my first application, which I gained entry on. And that's the last I'm going to say on this matter because at the end of the day you're going to do what you want to do and you have the right to do so.

8. Mexicanseafood

Mexicanseafood Member

I'm sorry to hear and I hope you are coping well. you could just try but I don't think it will work out.

I had an aegrogat going (got bad diahhrea before exam) and a remark at the same time before the selection date, being 0.2% off the grade boundary. It did not get considered in time and I got declined for med entry, so I emailed the faculty and asked if my mark goes up will they reconsider, even if it meant I'd be on waitlist. they said no, "our final selection for mbchb 2018 is complete. I appreciate and understand your disappointment at the outcome of your application this year."

Like you, my interviewer helper was playing chopsticks with another interview helper quite explicitly, I think his intent was to help with my nerves while I was reading the prompt for the interview but I only ended up very distracted, and went into the acting station not even understanding the situation and ended up screwing it up badly.

Based on my experience, I don't think any appeal would work out well especially in your circumstances where there's no evidence of that happening. It's very harsh. I think the best thing to do is let go of it and focus on your application in two years time, and whilst I understand there will always be a lingering emotion of your situation being unjust, I think in the long term it'll only be distracting and detract you from your goals.

AHHHHHH likes this.
  9. AHHHHHH

AHHHHHH Member

Thanks for the kind words, yes it's quite harsh, and I console with you too! How do they not consider your final grade into admissions?!? What was your final core gpa if you don't mind me asking? And are you going for grad entry now?

10. Mexicanseafood

Mexicanseafood Member

my core gpa was 8, after the medsci aegrogat getting rejected suprisingly (doctor ticked seriously impaired performance) and 89 in poplhlth. so my chances weren't as good as urs anyway haha. i'm thinking about grad entry but most of med school i hear is extended medsci (physiology) and pathology and i'm unsure if i'd find that satisfying. im thinking about dent school and completing a BSc. Are you going for grad entry and what are you doing now ?

AHHHHHH likes this.
  11. Stuart

Stuart Moderator Moderator

Hi,

Where did you hear that medical school is "extended physiology and pathology"? While it may be true to some extent, that's not what medicine is about overall. You typically cover a very wide range of disciplines in medical school and it's not uncommon for students to have a subject area or two that they don't fancy. Also, you can't possibly know what physiology is by taking those first year papers. You have only seen the very tip of the iceberg.

Mexicanseafood likes this.
  12. Mexicanseafood

Mexicanseafood Member

i was seeking advice from a recently graduated doctor who said med school is pretty much extension of medsci 142 but includes pathology. awesome thanks for informing me, do u mind elaborating on what u were saying on 'wide range of disciplines', thanks :)

13. Clav

Clav Otago MB ChB II Gunner

Former Med Lab Scientist
    I haven't started med yet but can already tell you that med school is farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr beyond extended physiology & pathology. What about public health? Or pharmacology? Or clinical skills.... psychological medicine.... etc etc

acbard9 and jelli like this.
  14. Mexicanseafood

Mexicanseafood Member

true ay, not solely medsci but would majority be medsci

15. rustyedges

rustyedges Otago MB ChB Moderator

Yes a large chunk of the learning is biomedical facts, including anatomy/histology, physiology, pathology, mircobiology, cell biology, genetics, biochemistry, psychology, pharmacology, and immunology. But there's also the 'fluffier' stuff: public health, epidemiology, bioethics, professional development, health law, sociology, and the learning the process of how you will actually be applying the biomedical stuff you learn with clinical skills, such as history taking, patient examination, and educating.

Mexicanseafood likes this.
  16. AHHHHHH

AHHHHHH Member

Yeah so you should bave been on an 8.25 which a few of my friends that made it had. It's sad for both of us but I guess all we can do is move forward. Not sure tbh either continue with biomed, do physiology or psychology and then reapply for med

17. Mexicanseafood

Mexicanseafood Member

Have u enrolled ?

AHHHHHH likes this.
  18. AHHHHHH

AHHHHHH Member

yup for psych, but i think u can still switch

19. littlehelper

littlehelper Member

Hi, just a future note for you (AHHHHHH) and other future applicants. If you ever feel like you were disadvantaged in any of your mmi interviews, you must immediately notify someone who can do something about it (i.e the student representative in Grafton). I had an interviewer whose vocabulary was provocative which threw me off for the entire station. I quickly notified the student rep in Grafton and together the student rep and the head of admissions for medicine rearranged another interview (just that station) for me.

It is essential that you speak up before the interviews are over. This is so that if you are disadvantaged in any of your stations, they can rearrange another interview for you. I'm sorry for your position, and I totally understand how you feel.

apollos and AHHHHHH like this.