Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

'Guaranteed entry' - worth the risk?

I only got over 99. Is it worth doing Biomed for three years with the guarantee of a full-fee place in Med IF I pass the interview and keep up my GPA?
Or is it better to think of going interstate directly (if I get offered a place)?

What would you do? :)

GregK

I only got over 99. Is it worth doing Biomed for three years with the guarantee of a full-fee place in Med IF I pass the interview and keep up my GPA?
Or is it better to think of going interstate directly (if I get offered a place)?

What would you do? :)
For me personally interstate is too much upheaval, I love my home! Also I feel my marks would be better with full family/friends support for the first year anyway.

After that I would like to spread my wings and move out maybe to residential or share house with other Biomeds.

But def. first year I would stay home, ace biomed and GAMSAT in.

chinaski

Huh? Are you referring to accepting the guarantee of an FFP rather than a CSP? If so, be aware that there's no such thing as a guarantee of anything if you accept such a place.

Shizzy

Staff
Administrator
I'd definitely take an interstate offer over this risky 'guaranteed entry'. The degree would be shorter elsewhere too.

To chinaski,
Since I only got over 99 and not over 99.9, UoM only offers me the full-fee place guarantee in three years' time, which means I don't have to take GAMSAT but only have to keep up my GPA AND pass the interview. I'm still able to try for a CSP place after Biomed, but that means I have to take the GAMSAT.
I don't know if I'm explaining it well, so ask again if you don't get it and I'll try again :/

The issue is, I'm worried about doing Biomed and then not getting through to Med afterwards. Biomed is sufficient for a career in research or lab work, but that's not something I'm interested in.

At the same time, I haven't ever been away from home longer than a week so to leave for six years is a big deal for someone like me. LOL.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to do a Bachelor of Pharmacy and then try to tranfer into Med at other places postgraduate (Deakin, Monash, interstate...)? Has anyone done that before? Is that even allowed?

GregK

To chinaski,
Since I only got over 99 and not over 99.9, UoM only offers me the full-fee place guarantee in three years' time, which means I don't have to take GAMSAT but only have to keep up my GPA AND pass the interview.

WOW! no GAMSAT? Man I would jump at that, UoM is prestige all the way! You are seriously lucky to get that option!

chinaski

The answer to your original question is easy IMO: you'd have to be barking mad to take an FFP over a CSP.

WRT your other question: you cannot "transfer" into graduate entry medicine. You must COMPLETE a degree, then apply like everyone else. Unless you take up one of these provisional places, there is no way to side step GAMSAT, GPA and/or the interview requirements.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I know many people who just graduated with Bachelor of Pharmacy at UQ and got into postgraduate MBBS at USYD, UQ and UMEL. Yes that is allowed. You need GPA + GAMSAT + Interview.

I personally would move interstate to do MBBS undergraduate and finish earlier, cause I cant see myself doing Biomed for 3 years for a FFP place, its risky if you dont reach the GPA/ do well in the interview etc Plus Biomed does not interest me. I rather move interstate with a CSP place, get centrelink support. Moving isn't really a big deal for me that's why.

Lol that's what I meant by finishing Pharmacy and trying to get through to Medicine. I just used the word 'transfer'. My mistake, I'm not too good at this terminology.

I'm most worried about getting the GPA. Apparently, it's a lot more competitive and much, much harder than year 12 (according to my friends). Is 75% that difficult over three years?

Also, UoM told me on the phone that there are only 30 full-fee places into Med and I know a LOT more people who got above 99 and are studying Biomed wanting to do Med later on. How does that make sense? :S

chinaski

I'm most worried about getting the GPA. Apparently, it's a lot more competitive and much, much harder than year 12 (according to my friends). Is 75% that difficult over three years?
It's difficult for some, and not for others - what you find easy may not be the next person's experience. You really don't know until you try.

Also, UoM told me on the phone that there are only 30 full-fee places into Med and I know a LOT more people who got above 99 and are studying Biomed wanting to do Med later on. How does that make sense? :S
Perhaps they're gunning for the non-FFP place. Seriously, the offer of an FFP is what should be worrying you the most, not the prospect of GPA or GAMSAT.

Can you explain what you mean by not worry about GPA or GAMSAT? I don't really get it.

Also, can you do Biomed for a year, then drop out if it doesn't work out and get into something else like Pharmacy?

chinaski

Can you explain what you mean by not worry about GPA or GAMSAT? I don't really get it.
You're worrying about issues over which you have some control. You can study for GAMSAT and GPA - it's hard work, but certainly not impossible. On the flipside, if you accept an FFP, however, you have no control over the possibility of NOT GETTING A JOB AFTER YOU GRADUATE. Look beyond admissions policies and medical school for just a moment, and ask yourself: would you be happy to accept a position that came with absolutely no guarantee of an internship after you finish medical school?

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
You can do Biomed for a year then transfer into Pharmacy with your GPA. We have a few students who transferred into Pharmacy after one year of Biomed cause it wasnt for them. If you work hard and study, getting a good GPA is possible. Plus worry about the FFP first like chinaski said.

chinaski

Can full-fee people not get jobs after they graduate?
The current position of COAG is that FFPs are not guaranteed internships. This was not such a huge problem, given that the Rudd government abolished FFPs for undergraduate degrees several years ago, but it still remains a very real issue and concern for those coming from private universities who still offer FFPs, as well as Melbourne University, who have gotten around the rule by way of tagging their degree "post graduate" (therefore, they can charge fees, unlike other public unis whose medical degrees are undergraduate by definition). Hence my earlier remarks: I think you'd have to be barking mad to even entertain the idea of an FFP, if the only thing you get out of it is the opportunity to avoid GAMSAT.

Oh okay, that's something new to think about.
So then, if it's not guaranteed, how hard is it to get a job? Realistically :S

Regardless of being offered the FFP, I'd definitely be trying for CSP as well (by taking GAMSAT). It's just that there's so many people and the competition is so intense after three years, that I'm not sure if it's worth taking the Biomed course since anyone from any course can also take the GAMSAT, get the GPA, pass the interview and get a spot (provided they meet prereq's).

Also, I have a question about doing a Science or Health Science course at UQ and then going on to do postgrad Med at UoM. Is that possible?

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Also, I have a question about doing a Science or Health Science course at UQ and then going on to do postgrad Med at UoM. Is that possible?
You can study Science or Health Science at any uni and then transfer to any uni you want for postgraduate MBBS. For any post grad entry your looking at GPA + GAMSAT + Interview.

MBBS will be tough to get into at any uni, whether it is undergraduate or not. Apply to all.

chinaski

Oh okay, that's something new to think about.
So then, if it's not guaranteed, how hard is it to get a job? Realistically :S
It's hard to say, because we're yet to have a glut of FFP graduates in the system (which is also yet to reach capacity). IMO, your best case scenario is that an FFP graduate will get a job, but may well be preferenced below CSP graduates when it comes to job choice. Worst case scenario: you will not get a job. Period.

You are asking a lot of really basic questions; many of the answers you're looking for are already out there if you do some research. You would do well to do a bit of reading (both here on MSO, and at PagingDr WRT graduate entry issues in particular). To answer this one: you will have to read up on the pre-requisite subjects required by the UMelb MD, and then ascertain if they are offered at UQ.