Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

'Guaranteed entry' - worth the risk?

Thanks!
I've read up on some places and called up UoM and they say that anyone can get through as long as they meet the prereq's of Anatomy, Biochemistry and Physiology (something like that?) and meet the GPA and interview. But according to people I've spoken to who are actually studying they say that the course of UoM is designed to favour students that have undertaken their specific Biomed or Science degrees, so it's a bit misleading for UoM to say that. There are only something like 270 CSP places into Med and about 30 for Dent, I think.
It's different when you read things on websites that are promoting the university to prospective students and when you talk to people who are actually trying to go through the process.

chinaski

But according to people I've spoken to who are actually studying they say that the course of UoM is designed to favour students that have undertaken their specific Biomed or Science degrees, so it's a bit misleading for UoM to say that. There are only something like 270 CSP places into Med and about 30 for Dent, I think.

The Melbourne MD course is yet to even start (their first intake begins in early 2011). The people you have spoken to are NOT in the MD course. As such, you can safely take their opinion about how the course is supposedly structured to favour one group or the other with a rather large pinch of salt.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
The new MD course is designed for UoM students who are doing Biomed & Science. Therefore they fufill the biology, chemistry and anatomy requirements. You can still apply for MD from other unis, just make sure you have fufilled ALL requirements.

theillestill

Ludwig's Mangina
You do realize how confusing UoM's MD program is about pre-requisite courses right? I'm frankly not even sure if the 2nd year biomed courses we take in Dentistry qualify for all of them.

If you're doing another degree outside of Biomed/Science without those pre-reqs: there are plenty of other post-graduate entry medicine programs around.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads