Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Gut instinct versus Reality

Originally posted by Liv Div@Mar 13 2006, 10:33 PM
Jellibelli i hope you're not apprehensive about interviews after our stories...

Mine were 50-50...I had interviews at UNSW and Monash.

I came out thinking I had messed up my UNSW interview because of some left field questions and the answers I gave them?some shocked expressions due to random answers...Thought i had missed it for sure but still got an offer anyway.

I literally had no voice for my Monash interview, I had a terrible cold and had lost my voice 2 days before it...so i thought id go crap (the interviewers were telling me to drink water the whole time, although drinking water seems to have some negative stigmas surrounding it?...I don?t believe in it after my interview)...but I still had a really great time in that interview although it was a med interview that was meant to be daunting etc...similar to tkdwhiz1188...my panel was awesome and you could tell who each person was, the community person, the doc and the academic...I loved it.

Apparently interview candidates the next day, including James were told about me...reassuring them that they had a better chance coz they had a voice to speak with  :p

I think whatever feeling you walk away with is usually a pretty good indicator but ultimately if you are meant to be there then you will be....eventually...but to answer your question you cant really define it when it's out of your hands and you can drive yourself insane with 'what ifs' and 'maybe if only i had said that....' Just do your best and try not to think about the 'politics' of it too much..or be shattered by a bad gut instinct coz you may be pleasantly surprised
[snapback]5341[/snapback]​

Thanks for your concern Liv, but right now I'm more apprehensive about actually GETTING an interview offer, let alone performing well in the interview. Things are a little rough right now, but I'm certain I'll get through it. I guess I'm focusing on staying sane rather than fall under the pressure of excessive competition for my dream job :(

I just want to be happy :unsure:

Thanks for the anecdotes guys, you're a great help!

geekgurl

Lurker
Yeah, you only get one grad interview, so its all or nothing for that year. Pretty scary.. But it went well, Couldn't believe when I got the email saying I was in, I was totally hysterical - had to ring everyone I was so excited hehehehehe

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads