• UCAT results are out! Just kidding, I'm just testing the notices system. Cheers, Mana

Have an ethical question? I'll try and break it down for you!

Mana

Registrar
Administrar
There are 5 ill patients in a hospital. They all need urgent organ transplantation to survive otherwise they will die. 2 people need a kidney each, 2 need one side of lungs each, and one needs a heart. There's another healthy patient who's at the hospital for a routine check up. His organs are a match for all those 5 patients. If you take out the organs from the healthy patient, 5 ill patients survive. Should you kill 1 healthy patient to save 5 others? The end justifies the means.
Why don't you just cut up one of the ill patients needing organs and distribute those among the remainder? There's no need to involve the other random healthy patient...

Sherlock

Breaker of order
Do you think it's right to kill a healthy person to save a million people?

Why is the playing field different for the second two situations?
I think the choice here is obvious if you're saving a million. But I don't know if I'd be willing to have blood in my hands :p

Would you kill yourself to save a million people?

I wouldn't do it if the fat man runs an orphanage with his own money and the 5 people have just massacred a whole class of school kids.
I would do if it's the other way around.

So... more information please :p
That's the trick. You have to make a decision with the information you have. :p

MSP

Banned
This whole thread - originally meant to educate some medico-ethics has turned into a facetious thread. (I must admit I did giggle re-living the tram scenario!!!)
Anyone out there with some serious concerns or questions though? Lol

Smelly Boy

Fourth time’s the charm
What would you do if you saw a homeless person steal a $1 coffee from 7-11? Would you tell the person at the store or let the homeless person go? Why/why not? (I saw this happen this morning)

MSP

Banned
What would you do if you saw a homeless person steal a $1 coffee from 7-11? Would you tell the person at the store or let the homeless person go? Why/why not? (I saw this happen this morning)
These aren't really medico-legal-ethical questions...
But i'll give you my response...

In a situation like this firstly I need to assess who I am - Am I a young student, older pensioner, regular person who does not fall into a vulnerable category?
Next - What did I see? How sure am I of what I saw. Am I possibly jumping to a conclusion because mass media and culture has made me believe that homeless people would definitely steal? Maybe they have an agreement with 7-11. Maybe they paid previously and rushed out etc.

Next
After being sure of what I saw I still have no authority or premise to with-hold this homeless person - also >30% of homeless people in Australia have mental health issues so it might not even be safe to confront them.

Next
What am I trying to achieve in this situation.
1) I have witnessed someone so desperate for a beverage they have taken a $1 coffee
2) I have witnessed a store that is lacking security

Solutions/Proposals

1) Get in touch with local charities that feed homeless people and let them know that this is an area of need.
2) Try reach out to this homeless person and give them information of where they can go for shelters (mens/females health shelters/clinics), social services to see if they are entitled to benefits etc.
3) Talk to the clerk and say in an objective way you thought that someone may have taken a $1 coffee and perhaps they should consider changing the orientation of their shop contents to prevent future breaches.

Conclusion
We are normalised to homeless people, each generation cares less and thinks less of what their circumstances are - there are lots of services available but its up to regular every day people like us to show a bit of compassion and help the less fortunate. Sometimes this is in the form of volunteering time and helping people find and accesss other services..

jk2

This was a question from one of the threads on this website.
Dr Cheung recommends homeopathic medicines to his patients. There is no scientific evidence or widely accepted theory to suggest that homeopathic medicines work, and Dr Cheung doesn’t believe them to. He recommends homeopathic medicine to people with mild and non-specific symptoms such as fatigue, headaches and muscle aches, because he believes that it will do no harm, but will give them reassurance. Consider the ethical problems that Dr Cheung’s behavior might pose. Discuss these issues with the interviewer.