Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Help With Choices in Auckland Uni: Pharmacy Or Medicine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I got accepted for pharmacy and bio med at Auckland University. I am thinking of doing med in the future, so I am not sure which path I should choose. I am fine with doing either pharmacy or medicine, but I prefer doing medicine. Anyways, my plan is to study pharmacy for now and take the UMAT later this year and see how it goes.

Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer from pharmacy to bio med at the end of the first year, and then apply to med in auckland uni for second year?

Also, if I did transfer from pharmacy to bio med in the second year, will I be able to apply to Otago University under the "others" category? Will an interview be needed if I have the scores and UMAT?

Please help me out with these questions. Thanks in advance! ^_^ Appreciate your help.

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
I would choose whichever one interested you the most and that you'll feel would get you the highest GPA.

4everAlone

If you do pharmacy, you wont be able to apply to undergrad med in Auckland. You will be able to apply postgrad with a completed pharmacy degree with good grades though.

You would also have to have a completed degree from Auckland to apply to med in otago as far as I understand it.

If medicine is what you want to do, I'd have to advise doing OLY1, unless you have a reason for prefering to do it postgrad.

greenglacier

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
To apply to Otago you'd need to finish a degree "in the minimum possible academic time". You could apply under the other category after two years of study but you wouldn't get in, and thus would have wasted your only attempt at applying under this category. To give you an indication, the sort of people who get in under the other category are health professionals with plenty of experience, or non-health professionals who can demonstrate high academic achievement (e.g. post-grad qualifications) or a compelling case for why the normal rules shouldn't apply.

lordgarlic

MSO Kiwi #1
Emeritus Staff
Hi,
I got accepted for pharmacy and bio med at Auckland University. I am thinking of doing med in the future, so I am not sure which path I should choose. I am fine with doing either pharmacy or medicine, but I prefer doing medicine. Anyways, my plan is to study pharmacy for now and take the UMAT later this year and see how it goes.

Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer from pharmacy to bio med at the end of the first year, and then apply to med in auckland uni for second year?

Also, if I did transfer from pharmacy to bio med in the second year, will I be able to apply to Otago University under the "others" category? Will an interview be needed if I have the scores and UMAT?

Please help me out with these questions. Thanks in advance! ^_^ Appreciate your help.

Firstly I recommend you read up on details of OLY1 and Pharmacy year 1 before coming to any decision. There are 6 common courses between OLY1 and Pharmacy year 1.

My advice is to do OLY1 if you want to do medicine. Apply to both medicine and pharmacy again at the end of the year. If you don't get into medicine but you get into pharmacy, you proceed straight to year 2 of pharmacy but have to do Pharmacy 101 in first semester (overloaded @ 5 papers that semester) but other than that you don't lose anything.

Unfortunately you can't go the other way and transfer from pharmacy > OLY1 > medicine due to common courses between pharmacy and OLY1 and you can't retake courses you have passes as per university regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads