Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Introduction Hey everyone šŸ‘‹šŸ½

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m Jeremy and Iā€™m a 34 year old (ancient I know, I just sat down and my knees made a groan like a shifting ice shelf :/ ) Iā€™ve been reading through a few of the threads and this is a really great source of information.

As studying medicine does tend to skew towards a certain age-group/demographic was just seeing if there might be some other mature-age students out there and if there are any other First Nations mob looking to have a shot at studying medicine. I should also add, thatā€™s not to say that I donā€™t find the level of dedication and passion that all you young people show (dear god I canā€™t believe I actually wrote ā€˜all you young peopleā€™)

Take care everyone!

jeremy

drum99

UoA MBChB III
Hi everyone,

Iā€™m Jeremy and Iā€™m a 34 year old (ancient I know, I just sat down and my knees made a groan like a shifting ice shelf :/ ) Iā€™ve been reading through a few of the threads and this is a really great source of information.

As studying medicine does tend to skew towards a certain age-group/demographic was just seeing if there might be some other mature-age students out there and if there are any other First Nations mob looking to have a shot at studying medicine. I should also add, thatā€™s not to say that I donā€™t find the level of dedication and passion that all you young people show (dear god I canā€™t believe I actually wrote ā€˜all you young peopleā€™)

Take care everyone!

jeremy
Hey just found this thread. I'm 32 and just applied to a medical school in New Zealand. Are you from Australia? Yeah studying medicine later in life will be interesting and not without its challenges. I have no idea whether I'll even get accepted but I figure that by the time I'll be qualified I'll be about 37 and I'll still have literally decades *god willing* ahead of me to practice. Cheers

Hey, yeah Iā€™m from Australia - and yes, generally feel the same as you on the ā€˜god-willingā€™ front! Even at this age should still be able to contribute for quite a long time. Seems hyper competitive but perhaps a little age and wisdom may help our chances? (Or perhaps the adage is true and old dogs just canā€™t be taught new tricks?) good luck !

Good Morning.
It's a great pleasure meeting the brightest mind.
I am a NZ Citizen, doing year 10 (Cambridge International Curriculum) and aiming for Medicine either in University of Otogo (UO) or University of Auckland (UOA).
Could you please guide me with these following topics

1. What IGCSE /AS/ A level subjects I have to take to achieve my dream. I am planning to take Maths, Chemistry, Biology and physics.
2. Could you please advise what UO/ UOA is looking as a successful candidate to enter into first year university.
- Are they looking for A*/ A in all A level subjects in Year 12/13 ?
- Are they looking for any extra curricular activities like one asked by US universities?
- also I read in University website saying I have to do A level subjects in one single sitting exam series?

3. Could you please explain how 1st year health science grades works. I heard that based on these grades, you will be decided where you will get placements either in medicine or dentistry or other para medical fields?

4. Do you recommend any books (IGCSE/AS/A level)

I am fully aware that you guys are extremely busy. It would be a great help if you could guide me in getting theses information.
Looking forward to hear from you.
Have a wonderful day.
Thank you

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Good Morning.
It's a great pleasure meeting the brightest mind.
I am a NZ Citizen, doing year 10 (Cambridge International Curriculum) and aiming for Medicine either in University of Otogo (UO) or University of Auckland (UOA).
Could you please guide me with these following topics

1. What IGCSE /AS/ A level subjects I have to take to achieve my dream. I am planning to take Maths, Chemistry, Biology and physics.
2. Could you please advise what UO/ UOA is looking as a successful candidate to enter into first year university.
- Are they looking for A*/ A in all A level subjects in Year 12/13 ?
- Are they looking for any extra curricular activities like one asked by US universities?
- also I read in University website saying I have to do A level subjects in one single sitting exam series?

3. Could you please explain how 1st year health science grades works. I heard that based on these grades, you will be decided where you will get placements either in medicine or dentistry or other para medical fields?

4. Do you recommend any books (IGCSE/AS/A level)

I am fully aware that you guys are extremely busy. It would be a great help if you could guide me in getting theses information.
Looking forward to hear from you.
Have a wonderful day.
Thank you

Hi there, welcome to MSO.

I recommend you have a proper look around the forum, taking particular note of the forums page (and the titles of the various threads and sub threads) as youā€™ll see there are more appropriate places to ask these questions, and also that most of them have already been answered. We strongly recommend that people do a bit of research for themselves (the answers to your questions are definitely already out there) and then post any follow up questions in the appropriate thread (ie. not here).

This particular thread is for general introductions and conversations, so please have a wider look around the forum before posting again. Youā€™ll find HEAPS of info already collated for you, plus the official university webpages contain a lot of info (just google search them).

Thank you!!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi everyone,

Take care everyone!

jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I was also an ancient applicant ;) and am now in third year. Can confirm that, during the Med-school portion of training at least, age has not once been a negative factor for me (and, in fact, my extra experience and, dare I say it, maturity, have been huge advantages). I have no idea what Internship will be like, I suspect it will come with its own set of challenges!, but Iā€™m happy to chat further if youā€™d like more info or insight!

Which unis are you applying to? Best of luck!

Hi everyone,

Take care everyone!

jeremy

Same here, mate. Early thirties but ready for retirement! Don't worry, 34 is the new 20 I hear. Besides, as LMG pointed out, you possess the luxury of having a mature worldview and ability to handle stress :).

jlk611

Lurker
Hi everyone,

Take care everyone!

jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

My name is Justine and I am 33 and have started to embark on the same journey as a 'mature aged' student. There are certainly a few of us out there! Hope it all goes well for you!

Justine

drum99

UoA MBChB III
Hi Jeremy,

My name is Justine and I am 33 and have started to embark on the same journey as a 'mature aged' student. There are certainly a few of us out there! Hope it all goes well for you!

Justine
This is a cool thread! It gives me some peace of mind knowing there are some other older and wiser folk out there considering this crazy path! Are we nuts for doing this now!!? Changing career paths and embarking on many years of training is very daunting - yet feels very exciting! How do you guys all feel about it?

I'm in NZ and have an interview coming up in two weeks. We only have 2 medical schools over here can you believe it!? And none of them offer 4 year graduate medical programmes like in Aussie. So if I get in it will be 5 years and then a final trainee intern year where u are paid a basic stipend but it's something I guess. What unis are you peeps looking at? Peace out