Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Higher Degrees

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
Nope. It's a level 7 qualification in Australia (equivalent to a Master's)
Actually, level 7 is indeed a bachelor's level degree. Masters is level 9. Ultimately the difference translates to very minimum when it comes to practicing medicine in Australia - both an MD and an MBBS qualify you to do the same thing.

Verdigris

baby med student
Silliest Member 2019
If you do an honours year, you can generally go straight into a PhD from there, to answer your original question! At least, that's what is the case in NZ and I imagine it is similar in Aus :)

Helmut

🦥
Actually, level 7 is indeed a bachelor's level degree. Masters is level 9. Ultimately the difference translates to very minimum when it comes to practicing medicine in Australia - both an MD and an MBBS qualify you to do the same thing.
Apologies. Am a clown 🤡

chinaski

If you do an honours year, you can generally go straight into a PhD from there, to answer your original question! At least, that's what is the case in NZ and I imagine it is similar in Aus :)
You don't necessarily need an honours year in addition to a medical degree in order to do a PhD in Australia.

Verdigris

baby med student
Silliest Member 2019
You don't necessarily need an honours year in addition to a medical degree in order to do a PhD in Australia.
I knew this was true of MD but is it also true of MBBS?