How can i get into Paramedics after getting a low ATAR?

Discussion in 'Other alternatives' started by Rockeyy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Rockeyy

Rockeyy New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm currently 19 and after finishing highschool in NSW i hoped to study towards Bachelor of Paramedic Practice at Rozelle but after receiving my low results it became clear that it would be much harder than i imagined. I have a few questions hopefully someone can assist me with. I'd really appreciate any help.

How can i study to become a Paramedic?
    Is there any specific courses i could use as a gateway? I'm also not familiar with UMAT or GAMSAT so i'm not sure if that could be a viable option or even a option at all. I've seen that Ambulane NSW has a trainee program which requires a full unrestricted licence which im very far away from.

Is there much difference between Bachelor of Paramedic Practice and Bachelor of Paramedic Science?
    I noticed they both have equal number of semesters.

Charles Sturt University have their course available at Port Macquarie and Bathurst which are both pretty far away from where i live although i see they offer 'Distance Education'. Would anyone recommend or discourage Distance Education?
    I believe i could do well studying from home although maybe not as well as if i were on campus, and it worries me that employers would deviate from someone who has earned their bachelor's online.

Again, any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. MysteryMarty

MysteryMarty New Member

A lot of people tend to use a course with a lower entrance mark for a year or two. They do this to get a good GPA which is then considered when you apply for the course the following year. The course you would choose is something you think you can do well in. The other thing to consider is if any of the courses have the same subjects so you can get credit towards your paramedics course when you get in.
    CSU distance education generally still requires you to travel to the universitie for residential school to complete the practical component of your course so that is something you should consider as well.

I hope that helps

3. Thom

Thom New Member

I'm debating doing the degree through UTAS or UWS.
    CSU only offer distance education for this degree if you are either already working as a paramedic OR are a currently serving medic in the army from what they told me last week.