Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

how do they differ students for gu?

hey guys
for dent at griffith,
since loads of people will achieve a high atar and apply,
how would they pick out the 5o students?

and also is cut off for griffith 98.9 ? because it says that on the uac book but just wanted to confirm :blink::blink:

LemonTea

Senior Procrastinator
hey guys
for dent at griffith,
since loads of people will achieve a high atar and apply,
how would they pick out the 5o students?

No-one knows.

and also is cut off for griffith 98.9 ? because it says that on the uac book but just wanted to confirm :blink::blink:

98.90 is approximately the cutoff for an OP1 in Qld. Currently, no Qld uni, for any course, looks at exact ATAR, only OPs. So it is conceivable that everything about 98.90 will be considered the same ATAR-wise. How they differentiate between all the >98.90s is unknown.

Very little is really known about Griffith's selection process for both med and dent, since this is their first year of using this system.

KIWIpride

Why are there so many threads about GU dent's selection policy? Its obviously the highest 65 scores. simple. done. cu at GU in '11.

HYM

what everyone is confused about is what happens when for example more than 100 people got an equally high rank. So many people with OP1 and non-standards with GPA >6.5. I think this is a very possible scenario and Im very much puzzled by it. I have contacted GU and they stated that it is an unlikely scenarion but if it did occur, they would use other criteria. I asked what criteria and they said 'I dont know'.

Why did they remove the interview? it is so important. I can understand why the UMAT was removed, its silly and demonstrates nothing.

KIWIpride

what everyone is confused about is what happens when for example more than 100 people got an equally high rank. So many people with OP1 and non-standards with GPA >6.5. I think this is a very possible scenario and Im very much puzzled by it. I have contacted GU and they stated that it is an unlikely scenarion but if it did occur, they would use other criteria. I asked what criteria and they said 'I dont know'.

Why did they remove the interview? it is so important. I can understand why the UMAT was removed, its silly and demonstrates nothing.

Well in that case HYM, perhaps they will have to use ATAR. And for non standard applicants count every digit of the GPA, ie 6.7 > 6.65. I know QL only does OP selection ranks but if the situation comes down to 100 people with OP1s then i don't know what would actually happen.

I don't know why they removed the interview either. I think it was a bad move on GU's part.

LemonTea

Senior Procrastinator
I know QL only does OP selection ranks but if the situation comes down to 100 people with OP1s then i don't know what would actually happen.

There is a thing called Field Positions (FPs) that looks at which subjects you did and how well you did in those subjects. It used to be fairly significant before OPs were introduced but now it's not used much, though some uni courses still use FPs to separate people at the cutoff OP. It's possible then, that GU may start discriminating between their applicants based on senior subjects and achievement in specific subjects.

EDIT: Of course, no-one knows exactly what will happen.

Insanity

I think I read on their website they favor people who have undertaken chemistry or certain other subjects

If that is true, then subjects taken in yr 12 might be a culling factor

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Removing umat, i love haha. But removing interviews can have its disadvantages. I thought it was a bit suspicious when the dean of CSU dentistry became the GU Dean for denistry. Cause once he stepped in the umat got removed lol. Just a random theory.

UMAT is such a fail -_-
basically only have hopes for griffith and la trobe now
james cook & csu = hardly doubt it since im not a rural and my application was so last minute haha
btw
does nsw people HAVE to apply for griffith through uac?
i'd rather apply through QTAC since
if i dont get into dent i want to do oral health at usyd
but it says i have to put it in first pref !

sublimeC

UMAT is such a fail -_-
basically only have hopes for griffith and la trobe now
james cook & csu = hardly doubt it since im not a rural and my application was so last minute haha
btw
does nsw people HAVE to apply for griffith through uac?
i'd rather apply through QTAC since
if i dont get into dent i want to do oral health at usyd
but it says i have to put it in first pref !

Yeah apply to GU through qtac.

KIWIpride

Removing umat, i love haha. But removing interviews can have its disadvantages. I thought it was a bit suspicious when the dean of CSU dentistry became the GU Dean for denistry. Cause once he stepped in the umat got removed lol. Just a random theory.

Yeah!! thats what i think too..he must really HATE UMAT lol.

UMAT Veteran

hahahaha that's pretty funny, i hadn't thought of that...most likely true.

l2009

It is a good call, I must admit.

How is GU stealing faculty off other universities anyway?

More money? Who's to really say? There haven't been that many lecturers 'poached' from other dental schools ... all I know of is the current dean of GU dent and also Alex Forrest who came from UQ dentistry.

theillestill

Ludwig's Mangina
it's not always about the money for these academics - especially at institutions already filled to the brim with senior academics, a lot of guys want to make it to tenure.

Bluebird

Alex forrest is amazing.
I think they stole Jay browning (1yr anatomy phys) from UQ too?

Mannnnnn i would have NEVER gotten in with all this new criteria! thank god I was 3 years earlier! phew!

and apparently they took the interview away because it costs ~$20,000 to run and 3 years after grad, the clinical and interpersonal skills between unis with interviews and unis with no interviews are even so they cant justify that money (thats what they say)