Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

How do you afford to go to Bond?

Hey everyone, I hope I don't sound rude but I am interested to know how people come up with 280 K + to pay to go to Bond. I'm sure everyone who attends there isn't rich, do you take out a loan? I ask because I am interested in applying to Bond but I have no idea how I could come up with this money:cry:

Jackie

=D
Emeritus Staff
I'm pretty sure they take out loans, which leaves them with a mighty big debt.

LemonTea

Senior Procrastinator
As said before, acquire rich parents.

As for how, I don't know. Try Google?

Perhaps it's not fair - but arguably, it's also not fair that they can graduate and potentially not get an internship. It mightn't be worth that investment - so probably not that an enviable situation, really.

From that side of the argument I am not enviable, although this will be a problem faced by all graduates, but I guess the fact that you paid that much more to graduate with a medical degree would add to the sting. I am just really sussing out my options and wondered if there is some special scheme to help pay off such a student loan, except for Fee help which covers up to $100 000.

chinaski

From that side of the argument I am not enviable, although this will be a problem faced by all graduates, but I guess the fact that you paid that much more to graduate with a medical degree would add to the sting. I am just really sussing out my options and wondered if there is some special scheme to help pay off such a student loan, except for Fee help which covers up to $100 000.

Actually, it's not really the same situation across the board. Whilst other graduates aren't on as firm a footing as times recently passed, attempts are being made to get them internships (and so far, no local has missed out). A distinction has been drawn between FFPs and others, however - so it's been stated explicitly that if you've got an FFP, you've got no guarantee from the outset. Even if you set the cost of the degree completely aside, their gamble is way, way riskier than someone taking a non-FFP space.

Kael

i really don't understand why everyone looks into bond so much. people look to all sorts of ways to address the debt, even going so far as to enquire with the defence force (and for the record, the defence force won't take full fee applicants). fair enough if you are from a wealthy family, but if you aren't, even if you find a way to momentarily address the tremendously large fee you will be stuck worrying whether you can get an internship not to mention the debt that will come back and bite you in the behind. tertiary transfer/gap year is a far better investment in my opinion, and while the uncertainty is a little daunting, you'll thank yourself in the long run.

there is no shame in not getting into medicine the first time round.

papermoth

Hey everyone, I hope I don't sound rude but I am interested to know how people come up with 280 K + to pay to go to Bond. I'm sure everyone who attends there isn't rich, do you take out a loan? I ask because I am interested in applying to Bond but I have no idea how I could come up with this money:cry:

.44 magnum and a balaclava! WIN!

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
As said before, acquire rich parents.

As for how, I don't know. Try Google?

I don't think it is fair that you characterise all Bond students as rich parent moochers. Have you ever met some students who go to Bond? I can tell you know that out of the three that I have met all three of them are from a middle-class backrgound and work very hard at their jobs to pay off the huge debt they have.

Jackie

=D
Emeritus Staff
i really don't understand why everyone looks into bond so much. people look to all sorts of ways to address the debt, even going so far as to enquire with the defence force (and for the record, the defence force won't take full fee applicants). fair enough if you are from a wealthy family, but if you aren't, even if you find a way to momentarily address the tremendously large fee you will be stuck worrying whether you can get an internship not to mention the debt that will come back and bite you in the behind. tertiary transfer/gap year is a far better investment in my opinion, and while the uncertainty is a little daunting, you'll thank yourself in the long run.

there is no shame in not getting into medicine the first time round.
Some people want med really badly...

G

gerald_mcdonald

typically how much does it cost to do med in the other unis? why does bond cost so much? more presige?

Jackie

=D
Emeritus Staff
Not prestige, it's relatively new.
Typically around $50000 all up? And it's CSP so you can put it onto your HECS.
Bond on the other hand, you cannot.

scarah

Going into $200k debt for med when you've got a guaranteed job at the end = not ideal but probably still worthwhile in the end

Going into the same debt without a guaranteed job = :wacko: crazy

Government based loan schemes are generally paid back as a percentage of earnings - no job = no payments.... however if you get a bank loan the likelihood is that you have to pay from the moment you take out the loan, or at least you'll be accumulating interest from the moment you take it out. If you don't have a job at the end (and Full Fee Payers are not guaranteed intern years) then you will still be required to pay your loan...

Bond in my view is only a legitimate option if you have a secure source of income lined up, or can pay upfront.