How do you recover from a bad assessment?

sevun

Hi everyone.
I normally can get away doing assignments very late before the deadline (at least relative to my friends) and I often get really good results given the time and effort I put in.
But yesterday I think my luck finally ran out. It was a coding assignment, so of course, I did not give enough time to write tests, debug, test out my code against other people's (it was an AI tournament). I feel like this will be the worst I'm going to do in a long while.

What did you guys do after your first failure/your procrastination finally caught up to you and you had to pay the price? I feel quite sad about my this recent assignment, but I don't feel like I've learnt my lesson yet/been able to fully process and reflect on my mistakes.

soap

Lurker
Hi Sevun,
My answer may not be the best but ill try. Ive procrastinated quite a bit in the past but Ill talke about this year. quite recently actually i didnt bother studying till last minute and got an ugly score. like you, i often get good results so it obviously hurt very much. i couldnt focus on other things bc my mind kept going back there. it was frustrating bc i knew i could do better if i just put it more time, thats what got to me the most. i couldnt focus on my next exams bc i was just thinking about the previous one. but then i stopped and realised i need to get over this bc i dont want it to affect how i do on the next ones, i didnt want it to affect my mood or u know i just didnt want be a sad slug anymore. i got some fresh air came back inside whipped out my book and just wrote everything out, what i was angry about, what upset me etc. so first thing id recommend its talking to someone about it, but make sure you pick the right person to talk to.

second of all and this is the most important, you need to reflect, take some time away to do this, go into deep thought, youre feeling a bunch on emotions so even listing them done suffices. ik ik, this may sound boring or a waste of time but it really does help. just think about it, in the past u would work last min and get good scores, now imagine if u took the time to actually do it, ur scores would be better than before. do some proper proper reflection, set up habits to help you avoid doing it again. i was a reallyyyy bad procrastinator seriousl, but after reflecting and setting up goals i want ive left that habit. i now have something i want to achieve and that just drives me to work harder yknow?

even so, its still gonna prolly gonna sting for a while, it did for me, but at least doing the above things will make you feel a little better, or more determined to do better. you should always care for urself and be self aware, thats key to self development. its in the past now so we cant do much about it, but you sure as hell can take charge of your future. focus on the things you can change :)) hope u feel better <3

-soap

Don Carlo

Hi everyone.
I normally can get away doing assignments very late before the deadline (at least relative to my friends) and I often get really good results given the time and effort I put in.
But yesterday I think my luck finally ran out. It was a coding assignment, so of course, I did not give enough time to write tests, debug, test out my code against other people's (it was an AI tournament). I feel like this will be the worst I'm going to do in a long while.

What did you guys do after your first failure/your procrastination finally caught up to you and you had to pay the price? I feel quite sad about my this recent assignment, but I don't feel like I've learnt my lesson yet/been able to fully process and reflect on my mistakes.
Something you should reflect on (like soap said): Why are you procrastinating?/Why are you doing this last minute?

Everyone procrastinates and does things last min, but why? Are you burnt out? Are you not liking what you're doing? Is something else on your mind?

Whenever I get stressed with a deadline coming up soon, I always procrastinate and then end up rushing my work and thus, getting a bad mark - and this took me time to realise. It took me time to realise because whilst it is easy for us humans to seek out the problems in others, its hard to seek out the problems in us.

I realised I was getting burnt out and just worried about if I would do well in my exam/assessment or not and what would happen if I did bad - the usual worrying - and this was all subconscious. As Soap said, you should talk to someone you feel you can trust, or rant on reddit or on MSO if you want, or just type it up on a word doc. In fact, I talked to a friend who I really trust and know who will be super honest to me and won't baby me.

Like you, there were times (and kinda still) where I haven't felt I haven't been able to fully process my mistakes, but talking to someone about my fears helped me see that I was unnecessarily worrying. Even if it is just talking to yourself aloud might spark something.

To be honest, I still do things last min but I have significantly improved after being completely honest with myself. The moment I catch myself procrastinating, I just take a step back, close youtube and leave my study desk and take a break or talk to my friend. It takes a lot of mental discipline and I believe the first step is reflection - why are you procrastinating?

Feel free to just rant here on MSO :)