Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

How does gpa work?

barsorce

Hi could I get answers to the list of scenarios on whether my gpa or atar will be taken into consideration when applying for dentistry for 2014 entry. I had completed my hsc and received an atar in 2012 and am currently undertaking tertiary studies in 2013.

1. Complete one semester of tertiary studies and defer the second semester. (ATAR/GPA)
2. Complete one semester of tertiary studies then drop out of course. (ATAR/GPA)
3. And does your gpa get refreshed every year?

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
In Adelaide uni, they will consider both your GPA and ATAR to some degree for both scenario 1 and 2. They don't really say how much weighting. I would guess more weighting towards GPA.

What do you mean by 'refreshed'? If you mean, 'they will only consider by 2nd year of he degree, not the first', then no, they consider every year of your degree.

barsorce

In Adelaide uni, they will consider both your GPA and ATAR to some degree for both scenario 1 and 2. They don't really say how much weighting. I would guess more weighting towards GPA.

What do you mean by 'refreshed'? If you mean, 'they will only consider by 2nd year of he degree, not the first', then no, they consider every year of your degree.

so if i apply in the third year of my law degree, they'll look at the average of my 1st and 2nd years????!?!?
do you know what happens if i drop out of my course at uni during my first year? will they then take into consideration of my atar? because i scored a pretty competitive atar and am kinda not doing so well in uni... THANKS FOR THE REPLY BTW

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
so if i apply in the third year of my law degree, they'll look at the average of my 1st and 2nd years????!?!?
do you know what happens if i drop out of my course at uni during my first year? will they then take into consideration of my atar? because i scored a pretty competitive atar and am kinda not doing so well in uni... THANKS FOR THE REPLY BTW

Each uni will look at your GPA differently. Some may average it, some may weight 3rd year more, or only take your 3rd year. If you drop out, they will still consider your GPA as well as ATAR. Once you have a GPA, you have a GPA.

barsorce

Each uni will look at your GPA differently. Some may average it, some may weight 3rd year more, or only take your 3rd year. If you drop out, they will still consider your GPA as well as ATAR. Once you have a GPA, you have a GPA.
argghhhhhhh
i've been geting hd's hd's pass and passes so far. all worth 20% of each subject. shoulda gap yeared it..

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
argghhhhhhh
i've been geting hd's hd's pass and passes so far. all worth 20% of each subject. shoulda gap yeared it..

Yeah, unfortunately when we usually come to that realisation, it's too late..

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Yeah, a 6.0 D average is quite competitive. Good luck!