Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

How Does WSU Calculate Offers?

soleus

WSU MBBS IV
I’ve been given three different answers now. I’ve heard it’s 1/3 UMAT and 2/3 interview, I’ve heard 25% GPA/ATAR 25% UMAT and 50% interview, and I’ve heard it could be 100% interview. Any ideas?

maniacfish

I’ve been given three different answers now. I’ve heard it’s 1/3 UMAT and 2/3 interview, I’ve heard 25% GPA/ATAR 25% UMAT and 50% interview, and I’ve heard it could be 100% interview. Any ideas?
As far as I know and according to the almighty table, its 100% interviews. So everyone who gets an invite has an equal chance. Umat is used a tiebreaker if necessary.
Edit: Link to table [Undergrad] - 2017-18 Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
rchilds It might be a good idea to call or email WSU medical admissions if you want a definite answer, but the aforementioned almighty table, at least in my experience, hasn't been wrong thus far :).

A1

Rookie Doc
That table is exactly what I’ve been looking for! Thanks very much

That table previously showed 2/3 interview 1/3 UMAT so you may have heard as such from someone who had read before it was updated. I updated it couple months ago after we got "confirmation" from multiple sources this year it's 100% on interviews
> UMAT 2017 Results Discussion

zingaboy1

Lurker
this year before the interviews they had a briefing session and in it penny (from the school of med) said that they do combine the interview score with some of the umat score (but they did not say how much of the umat). Seems like we cant get a straight consistent answer

maniacfish

this year before the interviews they had a briefing session and in it penny (from the school of med) said that they do combine the interview score with some of the umat score (but they did not say how much of the umat). Seems like we cant get a straight consistent answer
she said they combine the interview scores with 'a little bit of umat'. so yeah idk, maybe she's referring to its use as a tie-breaker?

Q3

It could be used as a tie-breaker but it could also be that not everybody is privy to the exact selection process. So that's probably why different staff tell you different information.

Did anybody have some missing people in their interview session?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
It could be used as a tie-breaker but it could also be that not everybody is privy to the exact selection process. So that's probably why different staff tell you different information.

Mine was this morning, and nope, everyone turned up. 12 female, 8 male, I'd guess most were non-standards. Maybe 2 or 3 school leavers.

ETA: 2 of the 3 non-standards I spoke to had done/were doing BMedSci. Clearly they had not read The Post!

nickzub

Mine was this morning, and nope, everyone turned up. 12 female, 8 male, I'd guess most were non-standards. Maybe 2 or 3 school leavers.

ETA: 2 of the 3 non-standards I spoke to had done/were doing BMedSci. Clearly they had not read The Post!

I was this morning to! In the 1040 session - what 'The Post' are you referring to?

faysapprentice

105 from 360 interviews (not including interviews for second round interstate) - seems like the odds of getting an offer are becoming similar to newcastle uni

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
105 from 360 interviews (not including interviews for second round interstate) - seems like the odds of getting an offer are becoming similar to newcastle uni

104 :D (so we were told a number of times)

Also: 15/44 for rural.

ETA 2: we were told (again, a number of times) that the 360 included the 40 odd who will be interviewed in second round. Who knows...

Firedasher

WSU MBBS I

At the briefing session they mentioned there were slightly fewer interviews this year than last year (around 300 ish) - not sure how legit this is however. They also mentioned some places are reserved for the second round interviews.

keogh13

WSU MBBS II

My mum accidentally found and spoke to an admin lady in the carpark this morning (I was in the 10:40 session too - the really tall gal) and she said there were 3 missed interviews yesterday (Thursday) due to traffic on the M5

Also if they consider UMAT in the overall offer of a place, does that disadvantage GWS/rural applicants as they have lower thresholds to get invited to interview? Or is there some kind of alignment?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
My mum accidentally found and spoke to an admin lady in the carpark this morning (I was in the 10:40 session too - the really tall gal) and she said there were 3 missed interviews yesterday (Thursday) due to traffic on the M5

Also if they consider UMAT in the overall offer of a place, does that disadvantage GWS/rural applicants as they have lower thresholds to get invited to interview? Or is there some kind of alignment?

As far as I'm aware, rural/GWS/regular applicants remain in their individual pools throughout the selection process; so you're only ever 'competing' against other rural/GWS/regular applicants. That's certainly the way the rural applicantion process was explained to me.

Those people who missed interviews due to traffic: were they offered new time slots? Or is the process that unforgiving?

Q3

If applicants were in their own pools then wouldn't this suggest wsu has some sort of quota for gws even though they deny it?
Suppose people were ranked in their pools, and the person ranked 1 in the gws pool had a lower mark then the person ranked 2 in the non gws pool. How exactly would a place be allocated?

It would have to be 100% on interviews and the only way the above could work is if there were quotas.

faysapprentice

If applicants were in their own pools then wouldn't this suggest wsu has some sort of quota for gws even though they deny it?
Suppose people were ranked in their pools, and the person ranked 1 in the gws pool had a lower mark then the person ranked 2 in the non gws pool. How exactly would a place be allocated?

It would have to be 100% on interviews and the only way the above could work is if there were quotas.
have they denied this in the past?