HSFY 2018

Discussion in 'HSFY' started by Blueglacier, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Stamford

Stamford Member

I was wondering if anyone has used medentry and what there thoughts were on it.Is it worth purchasing?

2. Stuart

Stuart Moderator Moderator

Hi,

It's a debatable topic. You should join the UMAT sub-forum for more information!

Stamford likes this.
  3. hopefulgal

hopefulgal Member

Also going to Dunedin on 17 feb! what hall are you in

4. rustyedges

rustyedges Otago MB ChB Moderator

There's evidence that UMAT preparation has no effect on your overall outcome. Even if it did help you improve, Otago's 1/3 raw score weighting would mean that a move from a 50%ile hypothetical score to a 80%ile, for instance, (which is an enormous improvement) would mean about a 3 point difference in rank score: a difference that would be far more achievable with pushing up your average grade. You will have little control of how you do in UMAT, whereas your average is entirely dependent on how much you can learn, and so it's a much more efficient use of your time to study for the health sci papers and not UMAT.

Stamford likes this.
  5. Stuart

Hi,

A contrasting view is that the strength of evidence is in question and given the little amount of evidence available which supports the claim, it may be possible to benefit from it. It will be a leap of faith, really. It's a pretty grey area and with the high level of pressure and desperation in conjunction with a number of anecdotal success stories, some people may be inclined to using paid courses. Furthermore, considering how some people with great academic scores fall short of the cut-off due to the UMAT performance, some applicants feel that the courses may be just beneficial enough to pass through.

In my opinion, do what you can do within your capacity, but don't let that displace your effort in academic performance as rustyedges explained above.

Stamford and Gracey98 like this.
  6. apollos

apollos Member

To play devil’s advocate to rustyedges, you could argue that believing you had some degree of preparation and therefore have some degree over the result can be a confidence boost which may be just what you need when in the exam.

Honestly, whilst I did use medentry, I don’t know how much it helped me. I think, if you do the right amount do research, you can find plenty of resources that are helpful and free from multiple sources, that can help. For example, for section 3 (that people say can be the most improved on) indiabix.com has a butt-load of non-verbal questions in the ‘verbal and reasoning’ section.

Stamford likes this.
  7. rustyedges

rustyedges Otago MB ChB Moderator

That's an expensive placebo then :p

Stamford and apollos like this.
  8. apollos

apollos Member

More expensive than a potential two extra years of uni? :lol:

But in all seriousness, please keep in mind that it is a a lot of money and that there’s no guarantee it will help. You really can’t predict what your score would be without it. Definitely invest plenty of time in thought or research before buying it, and remember there are often many free sessions put out by companies closer to the time that can be very useful too.

Stamford likes this.
  9. Stuart

Hi,

I think that is debatable also. I know most of you think it's a waste of life to study two further years of university, but it's a bachelor's degree. It is higher education and it's something one should value highly.

apollos likes this.
  10. apollos

apollos Member

Oh no, definitely agree with that, especially considering I’m almost jealous that people doing a bachelor’s degree first get flexibility in choosing a wide variety of papers, but at the same time I’d say (for people who definitely know they want to do medicine) it would be frustrating that there’s a continued two years of uncertainty. At least, that’s what I felt when comparing HSFY to other countries’ direct entry programs. Then again, you could always discover another passion in that time!

11. adventuretime

adventuretime Member

How beneficial is the two hour preliminary lecture? Is it aimed at school leavers/those new to Uni?

I am completed a prescribed course of some HSFY papers, but have entry into second year via alternate pathway...

12. Stuart

Hi,

It's not necessary. You can find the relevant information elsewhere. It won't affect your academic performance.

13. Clav

Clav Otago MB ChB II Gunner

Former Med Lab Scientist

Your time would be better spent drinking some delicious beer in the sun tbh

14. starlightj

starlightj Member

Hey all, just wondering when do we get our resources for our papers? Such as course outline/leanring objectives and lecture slides/notes?
    I think I read somewhere that they upload it the night before? which doesn't sound too convenient...

15. Stuart

Hi,

These questions have been asked and answered in this thread. You should be able find the relevant post by using the search function at the top right corner of the website.

Let me know if you are still having trouble.

starlightj and Sassysep like this.
  16. sharonlee3

sharonlee3 Member

Just wondering how we can access all past papers for our HSFY subject? Does the college give them to us on a hard drive or is it through Blackboard?

17. Sassysep

Sassysep BDS

Past papers can be accessed through the University of Otago Library website.

18. Stamford

Stamford Member

Where can we get a labcoat and how much are they?

19. Clav

Clav Otago MB ChB II Gunner

Former Med Lab Scientist
    campus store (inside the same building as the central library) and they're about $40 from memory

Stamford likes this.
  20. Stuart

Hi,

To further elaborate, it's near the east end of the ISB Link. The store is called the Archway Shop. It's essentially a small stationery store. A lot of the items sold are overpriced in my opinion. I think the lab coat is definitely overpriced.