Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

HSFY 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austerus

BMedSc(Hons)
Wow that would be great! I just wanted to get a hold of a few practice papers for each paper so I can get a basic understanding before next year but I'd love to accept anything u can send through

Here's some exam papers for the last 2 years, I have all the mid-semester and final answers saved as well will try to get them up soon if somebody else doesn't beat me to it :)

dentyall

Lurker
I heard from some people that dent are more likely to accept you if you put them as your first option, but the application system doesn't seems to ask for your preferences. What does that mean then?

I heard from some people that dent are more likely to accept you if you put them as your first option, but the application system doesn't seems to ask for your preferences. What does that mean then?
Don't think this is true. You should be fine, just apply for all the professional courses if you want, however courses that specify first pick will not accept you I think, eg. Physiotherapy does this notoriously.

cereal

This is a bit of an ask but can you upload all? of the PHSI 191 lectures so I can get started early?
I don't think this is a good idea. Prestudying before health sci is always a waste of time- you should really just be focusing on doing the best you can in year 13 and developing a good work ethic now in preparation for next year. The electricity, mechanics, and waves content is also mostly from year 12 level so if you can do really well this year you will breeze through phsi191.

academedical

PGY1 - Otago MBChB
This isn't true. Both physiotherapy and pharmacy give preference to students who ONLY pick either physiotherapy or pharmacy, to filter out the students who want to get into med/dent but will do physio/pharm as a 'last resort'. Dent, Med, and Med Lab Sci don't give any sort of preference according to what you've applied for (and you're right - you cannot list the programmes in order of preference).

I got a high 90s score in PHSI191 and can claim that if you do well in high school you will do well, you do not need to prestudy health science because at the end of the day it's more about how you can pick up content and what you do with it so high school is a good place to build a very strong foundation. (I barely passed physics in level 3 btw in other words I had no idea what was going on, if you are doing well in level 3 then you will be fine - trust me, you do NOT want to get burnt out before you actually get to hsfy!!)
It's probably better to develop those study skills so that you're not shocked when you come to uni also it's a plus because if you get good grades then you can get scholarships, dux etc etc and that kind of means you know how to study to get good grades.

I don't think this is a good idea. Prestudying before health sci is always a waste of time- you should really just be focusing on doing the best you can in year 13 and developing a good work ethic now in preparation for next year. The electricity, mechanics, and waves content is also mostly from year 12 level so if you can do really well this year you will breeze through phsi191.
That is true for the papers that require a lot rote learning (e.g. for the likes of HUBS191, CELS191, BIOC192, & HUBS192). But I did some prep for CHEM191 and PHSI191 which helped me heaps. I mainly just did practice questions for those papers. But I did give myself some good breaks during the holidays because I was aware of how intense HSFY would be.

Austerus

BMedSc(Hons)
Does anyone know how the preference system works for applications after hsfy?
What do you mean by "after HSFY"? If you're applying from HSFY this year into a professional course, single programme preference applies to physio, pharmacy, med lab sci and radiation therapy. This means that if you only want to do one of these courses, if you only put that course down when you apply you will be given preference. If you're applying for medicine or dentistry, there is no single programme preference or priority order when making your application :) Can put everything you want down.

Hope this helps!

cereal

Can anyone help me a bit with the application?
I've finished the application for the professional programmes, and underneath it there is the option to add other courses. Is this where I should apply for my back up option? Or is this something to do after I've found out whether I'm accepted into med/pharmacy etc?

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Can anyone help me a bit with the application?
I've finished the application for the professional programmes, and underneath it there is the option to add other courses. Is this where I should apply for my back up option? Or is this something to do after I've found out whether I'm accepted into med/pharmacy etc?

That's for applying for a BSc, BBiomedSc or any other degrees

cereal

That's for applying for a BSc, BBiomedSc or any other degrees
Yes I figured that..I was just wondering that if I plan to do a BSc as a back up, whether I should apply for that now? Or would I do that after the offers come out in December? Do you get where I'm coming from?? Sorry haha

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Yes I figured that..I was just wondering that if I plan to do a BSc as a back up, whether I should apply for that now? Or would I do that after the offers come out in December? Do you get where I'm coming from?? Sorry haha

I'm unsure when the due date for it is but I recommend just applying before the due date and declining your BSc offer if you get into med/pharm etc

I think the due dates are usually before the offers come out so yeah

jaejoong

I applied for BSc and the offer came like later that day, just don't accept or decline it until the other offers come out :) hope this helps

cashew

Alright, knowing what we know about our own/our friends grades from sem 1, what are everyone's predictions of the GPA you will need for med. I'm thinking you'll be pretty safe with 95-96+. :)

Ortospoon

Hi there,

I was just wondering how everyone's year with hsfy has been and what the papers were like? Making friends? Missing home? etc

cereal

Alright, knowing what we know about our own/our friends grades from sem 1, what are everyone's predictions of the GPA you will need for med. I'm thinking you'll be pretty safe with 95-96+. :)
I'm hoping with rural entry I'll be safer with a little bit lower than that with how things are going! Not too sure about my UCAT though

Hi there,

I was just wondering how everyone's year with hsfy has been and what the papers were like? Making friends? Missing home? etc
The start of the year was pretty rough ngl but now I'm in the swing of things I'm actually enjoying it so much, even if I don't get into what I want I'm just happy to be studying here!

Status
Not open for further replies.