Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO HSFY 2021

jellybean

Lurker
What is the Maori paper like? E.g. is there a progress test, what does the final exam involve etc... (Is there a lot of memorising?) And are the lectures recorded?

mani

What is the Maori paper like? E.g. is there a progress test, what does the final exam involve etc... (Is there a lot of memorising?) And are the lectures recorded?
Hey, I'm hoping to do this paper this semester and I emailed the people who run the paper and they sent me the course outline which (I think) I've attached

Attachments

• MAOR102 Course Outline S1 - 2021 .pdf
    607.3 KB · Views: 58

Jaffa453

I would recommend taking an 8th paper. According to the link below, the lowest GPA for HSFY general entry to get into med was 95.14 while the cutoff was 96.57 - those small percentages really do matter.

Although this was with the 5% boost due to COVID-19, no point taking any risks when you can avoid it so easily.

Sorry this is a pretty basic question but then how in the 2020 scores and offers thread, someone with a average of 92.3% got in through the general pathway?

mani

Sorry this is a pretty basic question but then how in the 2020 scores and offers thread, someone with a average of 92.3% got in through the general pathway?
That was their average they calculated without the covid 5% I believe

delta47

Probably through getting accepted on the waitlist. Unsure if this is the lowest average accepted though. Hope this helps.

Hi. not sure if im posting this in the correct thread...but im just wondering if anyone can offer some insight into the optional 8th paper MARI112... workload, what type of content is delivered that type of thing. the uni website hasn't exactly been a wealth of info. thanks in advance!

mani

Hi. not sure if im posting this in the correct thread...but im just wondering if anyone can offer some insight into the optional 8th paper MARI112... workload, what type of content is delivered that type of thing. the uni website hasn't exactly been a wealth of info. thanks in advance!
Hey, in the paper information you can find an email for any questions, I emailed a few of them asking for a course outline/exam information and they provided me with one, so maybe do that? Also, you can (usually) see the past exams on the library website to get an idea of what (MCQ or essays, etc) is in the exam

Jay75

Hello, I did my UCAT and I wanted to know which sections dentistry looks at? I heard they look quite highly into DM?? (I got 530 in that section 🙃)

Bootleg

Hello, I did my UCAT and I wanted to know which sections dentistry looks at? I heard they look quite highly into DM?? (I got 530 in that section 🙃)
Hi,

For dent, they look at your scores from VR, DM and SJT.

1. For VR, you need to be above the 20th percentile, so a score of 510+
  2. For DM, you need to be above the 55-58th percentile; so in 2019 it was 620 and last year (2020) it was 630.
  3. For SJT, you need to be above the 10th percentile, so a score of around 500+
Depending on how the cohort does this year, 530 in DM may give you a chance (provided this year's cohort bomb's DM), however, I hate to say it but your chances are very low.

Hi,

For dent, they look at your scores from VR, DM and SJT.

1. For VR, you need to be above the 20th percentile, so a score of 510+
  2. For DM, you need to be above the 55-58th percentile; so in 2019 it was 620 and last year (2020) it was 630.
  3. For SJT, you need to be above the 10th percentile, so a score of around 500+
Depending on how the cohort does this year, 530 in DM may give you a chance (provided this year's cohort bomb's DM), however, I hate to say it but your chances are very low.
And what scores do they look at for medicine?

mani

And what scores do they look at for medicine?
I believe it (was last year and the year before) just verbal reasoning and situational judgement - above 20th percentile and 10th percentile respectively. Keep in mind that it is possible for this to increase (or decrease) and that its also possible that they include another section in the criteria for applying, but we wouldn't know this until later in the year

I believe it (was last year and the year before) just verbal reasoning and situational judgement - above 20th percentile and 10th percentile respectively. Keep in mind that it is possible for this to increase (or decrease) and that its also possible that they include another section in the criteria for applying, but we wouldn't know this until later in the year
it barely changes yeah?

mani

it barely changes yeah?
It didn't change between 2019 and 2020, so while it it unlikely to change between last year and this year (and I hope it doesn't), there's always the possibility that it does change :(

It's a bit like the average mark required to get into med/dent, its generally the same every year but it can change depending on the cohort/difficulty of the tests

Right I see, thanks for your reply. Is this the same for UoA as well?

mani

I think (but don't actually know for sure) that UoA uses your overall UCAT score and then combines in with your GPA and interview score to make an overall score (e.g 50% GPA, 25% UCAT and 25% interview). If you want you can probably find this on the UoA thread or the uni website

Fili

Dentist 🦷

Auckland doesn't use a threshold for med - instead UCAT makes up 15% of the total calculation. The MMI makes up 25% and GPA make up 60%.

You can't apply to Auckland Med using HSFY grades though, only optom and for that I think UCAT doesn't matter and it's 50% grades and 50% MMI.

Pwnter

UoO MBChB II
I've seen lots of those "FYI.org" documents on mso here about the HSFY general category med cut offs for 2020 and 2019 but they seem to have slightly different cut off grades?
(I've linked below just some of the ones I've looked at)

Yeah, there does seem to be some variance. In terms of my own focus, I treat the highest score given as gospel if there is different info. Better to plan for the worst and hope for the best. Since having moved to a UCAT threshold and grades determine 100% of ranking, it seems like circa >93.5% is enough for first round offers, and if you're within in 1% of that, you should/could be okay off the waiting list. Any more than that, and you're probably relying on a lot of good luck going your way for an offer.