Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO HSFY 2021

Hello everyone. 😄I’m new on here and have been reading threads for a while now hopefully I’m on the correct thread as this is the thread for HSFY 2021.
I’ve completed my bachelors in podiatry at AUT in 2018.
I want to apply for med however I’m lost as to what is required. I know I probably won’t get in via a graduate entrance as my GPA is only about 5.6. So I was wondering if someone could please give me some insight as to what I need to do and what’s required to get into perhaps HSFY or biomed at UoO or UoA for 2021 please. I really don’t know if I’m still eligible to apply as an undergrad, I’m confused.
I live in Auckland so UoA would be the best option. In my first semester of my Bachelors in podiatry I have done some papers such as HAP I and II (human anatomy and physiology) which I’m not sure if I would be able to Cross credit for any papers in the first year (like medsci 142)? would that mean I don’t need to do medsci 142 as I’ve done something equivalent to it or would I still need to?
Some insight would be really appreciated and also what I’ll need to do in my first year for wanting to pursue med, everyone’s talking about making Sure you have A+ in the 4 core papers however I’m worried at Just the thought of that!!!!!
Thank youuu!

Hey, speaking just from Otago, I would still apply if I were you, even if others tell you that you won't be eligible for HSFY.
I was admitted to HSFY last year after already doing tertiary study, as were many others that I met. I believe it may be a case by case basis, but I had no issues and am now in med. Good luck!

Citygirl

Hey, speaking just from Otago, I would still apply if I were you, even if others tell you that you won't be eligible for HSFY.
I was admitted to HSFY last year after already doing tertiary study, as were many others that I met. I believe it may be a case by case basis, but I had no issues and am now in med. Good luck!
Hi thanks for your reply!
Do you remember how your admission process was taken into consideration? And also if you don’t mind me asking what was your previous tertiary study and gpa?
Thank you!

Hello, welcome to MSO!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but given your prior tertiary study and in the same field, it is virtually certain that you are not eligible for Otago HSFY. My knowledge of Auckland's first year programmes is limited, but do bear in mind that it is aimed at high school students, and likewise those with no prior tertiary study.

I think you're probably best to check with UoA directly - our MSO Auckland first-year thread isn't nearly as active as the Otago HSFY thread, and in any case given your previous tertiary study your circumstances would probably be more on the unique side.

I'm not sure if cross-crediting into a competitive first-year programme is allowed, or necessarily advisable (depending on your grade in those papers). After all, the idea of a first-year programme is that you are using the grades from first year to compete for a spot at medical school; and it does get quite competitive. I don't know what the stats are for Auckland but certainly for Otago HSFY people have missed out with low A+ average (2019 cutoff for first-round general admission HSFY pathway was something like 93.5 average), although do keep in mind that HSFY papers do make it reasonably achievable to get 95+%.
Hi thank you for your reply. Would that mean I can’t apply for bio med first year either and try to get into med after that? I understand the cross crediting part, and I don’t mind doing the allocated subjects again which may have been similar however I’m just worried about getting into HSFY or bio med. HSFY I probably won’t get into as you’ve outlined really well but what about bio med? Would this mean I cant apply for med at all?
I wish I had applied straight out of high school but was just discouraged and thought I couldn’t do it.
Thanks a lot!!

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Hi thank you for your reply. Would that mean I can’t apply for bio med first year either and try to get into med after that? I understand the cross crediting part, and I don’t mind doing the allocated subjects again which may have been similar however I’m just worried about getting into HSFY or bio med. HSFY I probably won’t get into as you’ve outlined really well but what about bio med? Would this mean I cant apply for med at all?
I wish I had applied straight out of high school but was just discouraged and thought I couldn’t do it.
Thanks a lot!!

In my opinion since your specific circumstances are different to most applicants and can change on case-by-case basis, I would contact both Universities and ask them directly.

Cathay

🚂Train Driver🚆
Emeritus Staff
[...] however I’m just worried about getting into HSFY or bio med. HSFY I probably won’t get into as you’ve outlined really well but what about bio med? Would this mean I cant apply for med at all?
I'd echo Fili's sentiments here and say that you should contact both universities and ask them directly. Please understand that we're saying this because your specific situation is not the typical scenario and involves case-by-case decisions that have to be made by the universities themselves. Here's a link to Otago's Health Sciences Admissions Office.

Out of curiosity, and if I may, how much tertiary study had you done before HSFY, and what was the area of study?

We ("we" being the NZ regulars and staff members on MSO) have been going by the university's HSFY FAQ page (link) in saying that any prior tertiary study requires a dispensation, and it seems to me that the degree in question (Bachelor of Health Sciences in podiatry) is quite likely to fall foul of their guideline that a dispensation is only given "if the student has not studied [...] papers that include any subject that is the same, similar to, or contains, significant portions of any of the prescribed HSFY papers"; but of course we'd love to know if this is enforced differently to how it sounds, so we can improve the advice we give other prospective HSFYers.

I'd echo Fili's sentiments here and say that you should contact both universities and ask them directly. Please understand that we're saying this because your specific situation is not the typical scenario and involves case-by-case decisions that have to be made by the universities themselves. Here's a link to Otago's Health Sciences Admissions Office.

Out of curiosity, and if I may, how much tertiary study had you done before HSFY, and what was the area of study?

We ("we" being the NZ regulars and staff members on MSO) have been going by the university's HSFY FAQ page (link) in saying that any prior tertiary study requires a dispensation, and it seems to me that the degree in question (Bachelor of Health Sciences in podiatry) is quite likely to fall foul of their guideline that a dispensation is only given "if the student has not studied [...] papers that include any subject that is the same, similar to, or contains, significant portions of any of the prescribed HSFY papers"; but of course we'd love to know if this is enforced differently to how it sounds, so we can improve the advice we give other prospective HSFYers.

Hey, I did 3 years of tertiary study, Bachelor of Nursing at Wintec. Nursing had a lot of similar content to HUBS191 and HUBS192, but I received dispensation to undertake HSFY by the uni and it wasn't questioned further.

Cathay

🚂Train Driver🚆
Emeritus Staff
Hey, I did 3 years of tertiary study, Bachelor of Nursing at Wintec. Nursing had a lot of similar content to HUBS191 and HUBS192, but I received dispensation to undertake HSFY by the uni and it wasn't questioned further.
Interesting! Just to make sure, you were definitely going through HSFY and applied through the HSFY pathway, and not doing graduate entry using your nursing degree?

Very interesting indeed - I previously wouldn't have thought it possible...

Interesting! Just to make sure, you were definitely going through HSFY and applied through the HSFY pathway, and not doing graduate entry using your nursing degree?

Very interesting indeed - I previously wouldn't have thought it possible...

Yes exactly as you say (HSFY pathway, not grad or alternative), and there are others in my cohort with identical backgrounds. Perhaps related to being a "polytech degree", I'm not sure.

Citygirl

Thanks I’ll give a call tomorrow anyway and see what they say. It could possibly differ case by case.

Citygirl

Hello Citygirl

As Cathy has already highlighted you wont be eligible to do HSFY. However, you might still be able to apply for graduate at Uoo. When you say your GPA is 5.6, do you mean cumulative GPA or a weighted GPA under Otago 2021 graduate category scoring?

Secondly, a GPA of 5.6 is competitive enough for you to get into a postgraduate course (i.e. PGDip or a honours (if it is offered for your course)). If you do decide to complete a PGDip or a honours, Otago will take into account both your PGDip grades and your bachelor grades when calculating your GPA admission score into medicine. On the other hand, Auckland will only look at your PGDip or honours grade when determining eligibility.

Finally, if you dont want to spend an extra year studying, you can always work as a podiatrist for a couple of years then try apply to Otago through the alternative category; as an allied health professional. Although arguably, this category is more harder to get in then the graduate category pathway.
Thank you for your information. Under the 2021 graduate category scoring (which is really confusing), I calculated my GPA for the years I studied (which was 3 years) and got 5.5. I’m not sure if I did it correctly but maybe I have getting that result.
Yes the alternative pathway would be difficult to get into and I would probably leave that to the last option (due to such limited jobs around) with the first one being either HSFY or biomed first year or ofcourse the Graduate category. However with my GPA that is a no.

Hey guys. Ive had an account on here since last year but kinda fell out of it due to plans changing but I'm back now. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post also due to this being my first post ever. So I decided to take a gap year this year and have decided to take HSFY next year. I did physics and chem in high-school all the way up to year 13. I do admit my chem and physics is a bit rusty now and have been contemplating doing summer school to catch up but I've looked at the price and it's well over my budget. So I've decided to self study instead of doing the jumpstart physics and intro to chem course. My question is what specific content is actually taught on those 2 courses? Im not really keen to learn both level 2 and 3 physics and chemistry content due to my time constraints currently. Also, last question. What would be the cost of a tutor?

mideasyrole

Hey guys. Ive had an account on here since last year but kinda fell out of it due to plans changing but I'm back now. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post also due to this being my first post ever. So I decided to take a gap year this year and have decided to take HSFY next year. I did physics and chem in high-school all the way up to year 13. I do admit my chem and physics is a bit rusty now and have been contemplating doing summer school to catch up but I've looked at the price and it's well over my budget. So I've decided to self study instead of doing the jumpstart physics and intro to chem course. My question is what specific content is actually taught on those 2 courses? Im not really keen to learn both level 2 and 3 physics and chemistry content due to my time constraints currently. Also, last question. What would be the cost of a tutor?

As someone who did not do Physics or Chemistry in high school, I can say that it is very possible to achieve 90% + in PHSI191 and CHEM191 without the summer school courses. In my opinion, if you would like to do something over the holidays I would review the mechanics topics (as it is taught first in PHSI191) taught in NCEA from Khan Academy or other resources for physics and just some general stuff for chem.

trevorev

With the hall of residence application, I know of a fair number of others at my school looking to apply at the same hall. Does this decrease my chances of getting into my hall of choice?

Lincoln B

Lurker
Yes exactly as you say (HSFY pathway, not grad or alternative), and there are others in my cohort with identical backgrounds. Perhaps related to being a "polytech degree", I'm not sure.
Hey, just wondering how long it normally takes to get feedback from HSFY regarding dispensation.

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Hey, just wondering how long it normally takes to get feedback from HSFY regarding dispensation.
Really depends on a case by case basis.

Since it's nearing exams and I expect many HSFY students emailing HSFY admissions about random things even though these change every year e.g. grades and UCAT required to enter medicine, dentistry, pharm etc, it might take longer than 2 days.

I recommend going to AskOtago for this as they're quite helpful.

Lincoln B

Lurker
Really depends on a case by case basis.

Since it's nearing exams and I expect many HSFY students emailing HSFY admissions about random things even though these change every year e.g. grades and UCAT required to enter medicine, dentistry, pharm etc, it might take longer than 2 days.

I recommend going to AskOtago for this as they're quite helpful.
Thank you for your reply. I have applied for HSFY 2021 recently. My university admission status says awaiting for HSFY dispensation, the status has been like this for weeks. I didnt expect any dispensation considering my previous tertiary study was nothing to do with medical. I studied Business Management before. Anyone can advise that?

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Thank you for your reply. I have applied for HSFY 2021 recently. My university admission status says awaiting for HSFY dispensation, the status has been like this for weeks. I didnt expect any dispensation considering my previous tertiary study was nothing to do with medical. I studied Business Management before. Anyone can advise that?
Yeah you might want to check out the previous posts in this thread as I believe most times those with any tertiary study cannot do HSFY in an attempt to be admitted to a health professional programme.

Of course, this changes in a case by case basis but yeah. I recommend contacting AskOtago or other users that have commented in this thread who were possibly in a similar situation as you.

Hello everyone! this is my first post so hopefully this is the right place.
I need some guidance regarding fees free matters, as when I am checking my records on my Evision portal my fees free status is showing unknown and is asking me to fill a statutory declaration. Which takes me to fees-free website and there it says because I have not completed three years on my residence visa, so I am not eligible. Since I am starting studies from February 2021 and I am completing my three years residence visa in June 2021, can there be any possibility to get it fees free. I am so worried as it is whole lot of money I have to pay otherwise.
Please give me some suggestions.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hello everyone! this is my first post so hopefully this is the right place.
I need some guidance regarding fees free matters, as when I am checking my records on my Evision portal my fees free status is showing unknown and is asking me to fill a statutory declaration. Which takes me to fees-free website and there it says because I have not completed three years on my residence visa, so I am not eligible. Since I am starting studies from February 2021 and I am completing my three years residence visa in June 2021, can there be any possibility to get it fees free. I am so worried as it is whole lot of money I have to pay otherwise.
Please give me some suggestions.

My suggestion is to contact student services and ask to be put through to someone from fees/tuition so you can get a clear and accurate idea of what the deal is for someone in your situation.

Hi everyone.

I'm taking HSFY next year and I was hoping to get some insight just on what those first 3-4weeks are like, what they entail etc. I'm used to living away from home and that kinda thing, so more directed at workload, I know HSFY has a super high content amount but is from the get-go? any advice really. thank you all in advance!