Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO HSFY 2021

Med4K

Hello peeps, I just want to ask a question in terms of MAOR102, are the readings absolutely CRUCIAL for the final exam (and might as well ask: how should I reference it in the internal essay). Because after attending a few lectures, it seems to me that the things we learn in the chapters are all summarised in the lectures, or more importantly, pointed out on what to take from it.

Am I missing the whole point or can someone really get an A+ just by attending lectures, since the chapters are just reiterations of the lectures with extra doses of detail included...

...If I am missing the point, can someone point out how I am supposed to incorporate these readings into my learning? (and how I should be studying e.g. write notes of these readings??)

FYI: The final exam is all MCQs this year. There's also no progress test, just one essay and essay plan worth a total of 30%. Attending tutorials = 20% of our grade, thus the final exam is 50%.

Does anyone know how the stats test (the one you do for like 20 minutes closed book) is formatted? Do we have to be able to use Rstudios well?

fatcat

Hello peeps, I just want to ask a question in terms of MAOR102, are the readings absolutely CRUCIAL for the final exam (and might as well ask: how should I reference it in the internal essay). Because after attending a few lectures, it seems to me that the things we learn in the chapters are all summarised in the lectures, or more importantly, pointed out on what to take from it.

Am I missing the whole point or can someone really get an A+ just by attending lectures, since the chapters are just reiterations of the lectures with extra doses of detail included...

...If I am missing the point, can someone point out how I am supposed to incorporate these readings into my learning? (and how I should be studying e.g. write notes of these readings??)

FYI: The final exam is all MCQs this year. There's also no progress test, just one essay and essay plan worth a total of 30%. Attending tutorials = 20% of our grade, thus the final exam is 50%.
I sat MAOR102 last year, so this is all my opinion/how I did it, so keep in mind this won't be the same for everyone, but I reckon if you're gonna skimp on any part of that course, don't let it be the readings. They are highly examinable - I think most of my exam/quizzes were from the textbook. If the lectures help you process the info, then that's great, keep watching them. Personally they didn't help me all that much and I stopped watching them mid semester...

trevorev

I sat MAOR102 last year, so this is all my opinion/how I did it, so keep in mind this won't be the same for everyone, but I reckon if you're gonna skimp on any part of that course, don't let it be the readings. They are highly examinable - I think most of my exam/quizzes were from the textbook. If the lectures help you process the info, then that's great, keep watching them. Personally they didn't help me all that much and I stopped watching them mid semester...
how did you study for pop health mate?

fatcat

how did you study for pop health mate?
Poorly. Hahaha, after the essay marks I knew it wasn't worth investing as much time into poph, so I just watched the lectures, do the work for tutorials etc, practiced past exams. Didn't go above and beyond, pretty much did just what they expect of you.

trevorev

Poorly. Hahaha, after the essay marks I knew it wasn't worth investing as much time into poph, so I just watched the lectures, do the work for tutorials etc, practiced past exams. Didn't go above and beyond, pretty much did just what they expect of you.
Thanks for this, would you say its that difficult to get 70%? Like were you concerned about that at all?

fatcat

Thanks for this, would you say its that difficult to get 70%? Like were you concerned about that at all?
No. I was concerned because I was overly worried and stressed about all my marks when I shouldn't have been lol. I heard something last year about it being not so hard to get 90(?)%, but every percentage point past that gets harder and harder to work towards and you have to invest more and more hours for miniscule improvement; and I think that was pretty true. If you are doing the work, understanding the content, practising and performing at a level you are happy with in past exams, you will be okay.

Danli23

ELM2
Hi guys,

So it's literally August 1st. Can any veterans tell us where to apply for med/dent and more? I.e. where is the place to do so (I checked Evision and it seems the same).

Thank you and good luck to everyone. :) :) :)

fatcat

Hi guys,

So it's literally August 1st. Can any veterans tell us where to apply for med/dent and more? I.e. where is the place to do so (I checked Evision and it seems the same).

Thank you and good luck to everyone. :) :) :)
It's been a hot minute, but I think I used evision? Under my programmes and papers there's a thing that says "apply for another programme," maybe take a look at that.

Med4K

Yeah, after some hard stressing and experimenting, I've come to the same conclusion... that the readings are far more important than the lectures!

In fact, the lecturers seem to ramble on and seem bored with themselves all the time :(
I see why it's only 2 lectures a week... they have nothing to teach if everything is in the readings that they force you to do.

Thanks for the comment! I wish I saw it sooner but I guess all roads lead to Rome.
No. I was concerned because I was overly worried and stressed about all my marks when I shouldn't have been lol. I heard something last year about it being not so hard to get 90(?)%, but every percentage point past that gets harder and harder to work towards and you have to invest more and more hours for miniscule improvement; and I think that was pretty true. If you are doing the work, understanding the content, practising and performing at a level you are happy with in past exams, you will be okay.
And this really helps put my mind at ease and worries me at the same time..
Also, considering all the past papers are now embargoed :((

Pwnter

UoO MBChB II
Hope the prep for Saturday is going well! Soon to start the weekly assessment grind. Not too far til the mid semester break though.