Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

If you had a Bachelor of Nursing

papermoth

but didn't do Year 12, could you gain entry into medical school?

I would think if the course is postgrad then yes. And if it's undergrad and the course takes in "mature students" or "competitive graduates" or the like then I would say yes.

Exactly what course did you have in mind? I'm sure a visit to their admissions page would resolve this question pretty quickly.

Oh and I don't think not having completed year 12 has any bearing on the matter because the school level certificate or lack of is no longer your highest qualification-- the degree is.

JamesM

Lurker
Actually, this wasn't for me. It was a question me and one of my friends had been debating about. I thought that someone who had a bachelor in nursing who hadn't done Year 12 couldn't get into med school because they probably don't know anything to do with maths/chemistry. But my friend said they would accept him/her because the person had experience in the medical field, eh.

papermoth

Actually, this wasn't for me. It was a question me and one of my friends had been debating about. I thought that someone who had a bachelor in nursing who hadn't done Year 12 couldn't get into med school because they probably don't know anything to do with maths/chemistry. But my friend said they would accept him/her because the person had experience in the medical field, eh.

I'm pretty sure your friend is right-- but not for the reasons stated. I know of people with no medical grounding and a BA majoring in something like Mongolian history doing med. Plus there are courses offered (at some universities) to people lacking in an area like chemistry to bring them up to speed.

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff

If your friend makes the prereqs in whatever course he/she wants to study based on his/her degree in nursing then it doesnt really matter if he/she has completed year 12 or not. In UQ graduate MBBS for instance, all you require to be eligible for a spot is a GPA of at least 5.0 and a high GAMSAT (no mention of a completed year 12 here).

This thread has become pointlessly long.

If you have a degree, you can pretty much apply to and gain entry to any university that accepts non-standards (undergrad) or that is a graduate medical school.

With regards to 'maths/chemistry,' I assure you, maths is probably taught better in nursing than it is in medicine and nurses would do just as much chemistry as in medicine, if not more.

Note: Year 12 and HSC/equivalents are rather pointless once you're in uni.

chinaski

Note: Year 12 and HSC/equivalents are rather pointless once you're in uni.

You mean a bachelor's degree is seen as being a higher academic achievement than a Year 12 certificate?!?! Who would have thunk it?? :lol:

Last edited:

Yes. Depending on UMAT/GAMSAT scores and GPA from nursing. Getting a high GPA in nursing is easy because 1 years mostly theory based. and 2nd/3rd mostly based on doing BS essays.

UwsInfo

but didn't do Year 12, could you gain entry into medical school?

Hi, If you meet the minimum GPA requirements and sit the UMAT test and obtain high enough results, you could then use your GPA and UMAT result to apply for Medicine. To view the minimum GPA requirements of our Medicine program, please visit the following page: Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) | University of Western Sydney (UWS). For more information, please contact our Course Information Line on 1300 897 669 or on [email protected]. Best regards, UWS Course Info.

Non-GWS applicant GPA > 5.5 for GWS applicant GPA > 5.1 in your nursing degree. Meaning you need at least a credit to distinction average in each subject. Typically UMAT score minimum 50/50/50 in each section. Sounds easy right? But its takes dedication though.