Information on UQ colleges

BobSmith159

since there isn't any real collection of info on uq colleges (it's very scattered), i figured it'd be nice to have one particular reference to look at rather than trying to trawl the forum. i personally, would have loved one of these when looking into everything last year.

im currently at st john's (moved from melbourne), so i'd assume my opinions would be *somewhat* relevant. in general, you can't get accurate accounts of colleges from anyone unless they are at one of the colleges, and the account will obviously be better if they are from the college you're after.

first, to have any shot at getting into all the colleges (ie realistically getting into john's), you need to apply pretty much by the end of september. i've seen people coming to john's for interviews since about september this year. applying in late dec to emmanuel and king's has been done (unsure about other colleges), but i wouldn't recommend leaving it that late.

for john's, fresher rooms aren't extremely amazing, but you can get lucky with rooms like 306 (as a guy) or vf3 (as a girl), which are arguably the two best fresher rooms in the college, particularly in terms of space. vf3 is also the only undergraduate room in the entire college with aircon, which is amazing in winter.
rooms for subsequent years are loosely based on gpa and college involvement. a higher gpa just gets you preferenced more strongly when applying for your new room - and despite being the 'academic' college, only really a third of the college are sitting on a 6 or up. there are a fair few who failed subjects in first semester, but nowhere near to the extent in king's (which btw has an average of a fail for a gpa - 3.4 last i heard). that said, room choice is largely decided before it actually is allocated because everyone kinda sorts it out beforehand, so no one *really* goes for the same room when preferences are submitted. for john's, you need a 4.3 to stay in the college, but i seriously hope that as a premed, your gpa will be well above this. the john's 2011 first year premed gpas range from 5 to 7 for first semester; i got a 6.25 with relatively minimal work and started studying late last swotvac. you should not find first semester hard.

parties/etc? academic college schmackademic college. john's parties as hard, if not harder than any other college (though others might have something to say about that statement). the only difference is that john's as a cohort manages this level of party much better than any college does, as evidenced by their results and their reputation. people (usually) know when to be quiet. unless you live in patmos, perhaps. annex will be a safer zone from noise since basically all the first year engineering guys in there are staying there next year.
long story short, if you want to go out/etc, then do. first semester uq premed gives you a more than ample opportunity to - ie if you struggle in first semester (doing BIOL1020, BIOL1040, CHEM1030 and STAT1201), i honestly would advise you to seriously reconsider your career choice. if i could do first semester again, i would have taken a fifth subject to lighten my load next year. if you want to isolate yourself from parties etc, it is very easy to, and by all means, go for it if you don't want to be at them.

food at john's is average. they are obliterated by women's in this department. it's not overly bad by any means, but really, the only reason the food should come into play if you're going to have a mental breakdown about it. you always have the option of going to southbank/the ville/your own stash presumably from the ville or toowong if you don't what to eat what they have to offer at any particular meal.

interview: i did mine over the phone, but basically:
- "sound caring" (this is something warden told me this year that he liked about me in my interview. apparently).
- be well read. i was asked about julian assange/wikileaks etc which was in the news at the time.
- HAVE EXTRACURRICULARS! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. IF YOU HAVE NO EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES, YOU WILL NOT, I REPEAT, WILL NOT GET INTO JOHN'S. this can be anything from sport, to music (classical - piano/organ/orchestral/voice is particularly helpful), to community work. pretty much everyone you meet will have some weird/wonderful thing they do in addition to study. just going through the building i'm in, there's an ex national level kayaker, ex national level rower, national representative (for south africa) squash player.. to name a few. personally, i did state level athletics and cross country, club tennis (victorian junior pennant/open pennant) and a lot guitar in bands prior to coming to uq.
after all that, warden pretty much ended up telling me about his life for about an hour so i didn't have to do anything.

if i were put preferences in again for colleges with the experience i've had this year, i'd go (as a guy):
johns, emmanuel (if you don't mind the cost), leo's.

as a girl i'd probably go:
john's, emmanuel, women's.

grace and ih tend to be very isolated (as is cromwell to some extent, but not as bad). grace is the only alcohol free college, and they have a curfew on having males on campus - ie not after 10pm (though i assume this has been broken on countless occasions. i believe the no alcohol is largely what contributes to making the college cheaper - lower potential for damage to the college. in all honesty, i would avoid grace unless you were pushed for cash or antisocial (i really hope you aren't antisocial if you're considering a career as a doctor. you might find med school, along with pretty much your entire career, a little hard...).

as for ih, they were largely isolated at the start of this year because flood damage repairs weren't done until mid year this year, so all the people enrolled were *sourced* out to other accommodation, eg urbanest in southbank. as you would expect, there is a significantly higher population of internationals, many of whom are asian. however, yes, as they do say on their website, there are plenty of domestic students. i have a friend at ih who has said that there seems to be a fair bit of segregation between the asian internationals and everyone else, making two roughly equally sized major groups in the college. it's not really that big of a deal though. if you end up with a good group of people, it's fine.

i lack a good amount of information on duchesne, apart from that when i had dinner there once during o-week, the food was pretty good. food doesn't match up to women's though.

women's has more of a focus on cultural and community things rather than sport - so charity/volunteer work, dance, choir/general singing etc. that said though, they did do alright in icc sport this year (i think) so this shouldn't deter you if you're more of a sportswoman. easily has the best food of any college.

cromwell has a bit of a reputation for being for people who didn't get into john's (which is by far the most competitive college to get into). cromwell's current student club president had john's as his first choice when he applied as a school leaver. that said, there isn't really anything wrong with crommy, besides that fact that they have no idea how to staff a bar (which they got a temporary lease for at the last or second last college exchange they hosted - in contrast to john's who actually know how to manage bars. on that note, the bar at john's is alright, nothing overly amazing. i can't quite remember what basics cost but i'm pretty sure it was either $3.50 or 4 - ie good, though not quite the $3 you get at the re on toowong on wednesdays and sundays. if you are at a college, you will likely quickly find that the re will be your second home for a certain portion of the year. i believe that you are supplied with fridges in your rooms - refer to emmanuel paragraph.

king's is undoubtedly very sport orientated (perhaps solely. i think a testament to this is that king's gym is better than the actual uni's gym), and many will argue (particularly if that person is from john's) that the culture at king's, if you immerse yourself in it, will turn you into a total ****. this can be seen in the people who have gone through, i've been told. i do have friends at king's though, and they know when to involve themselves and when not to - so it is a viable choice. don't let the stigma of king's influence you that much. if sport's your thing, this is where to go.

leo's is full of engineers and has been since the dawn of time. i know three first year premeds there though, and they are great guys. two of them have a tendency to get very heavily (and hilariously) inebriated. this is a common theme at leo's. you will find your alcohol tolerance rise immensely should you partake in everything at leo's. that said, you're perfectly fine not doing that stuff.

emmanuel is big. it's probably the most like john's in terms of atmosphere. if in emmanuel, you get fridges in your room which is handy, but you're allowed to bring fridges in for pretty much any college anyway so it doesn't matter. i have an absolute glutton of a friend at emmanuel and she eats a lot of the food, so i assume it's pretty decent (though this might be telling about her than the food).

union is the 'anti'-college and functions more like normal student accommodation, but still retains things like college sport, dancefest, choralfest etc. i think it'd feel like living in pidgeon holes tbh and friends i have there would likely lynch me for saying that. i would personally avoid union, but that's just because it doesn't feel right as a college to me.

location of the colleges, in my opinion, will not change very much - ie i occasionally failed to wake up for an 11am micr2000 lecture this semester (and the biom2402 lecture the following hour) and i can get to hawken engineering building (where the bulk of your lectures should be as a biomedical science major) in 3 min from my room. i have been known to wake up at 7:50 for 8am lectures.
if it really matters to you, john's and leo's are closest, then duchesne, womens, union, emmanuel, kings, ih/crommy/grace.

each college has a standard number of years that any one person stays at them, so this might be something to take into account. you are, however, perfectly fine not following this; it's not a hard an fast rule.
in general, all colleges are "three year colleges" with (as far as i know) the exception of emmanuel which is 2, and ih which is not fixed because of the nature of their students.

typically, as you progress through your years at college, the quality of your room will improve - ie size, location, potential for instigating when you want to be more social or when you're buckling down to study. this is most evident in john's (and i imagine king's) where in third year, you'll generally have an ensuite between two people (i'm not sure if sharing between two people of the opposite gender is allowed but i might be able to find out for you when i get to third year). also, until third year, floors are typically gender segregated. it's a non issue though; i spend a significant amount of time downstairs and one other female floor in the college (...and no, not what i assume you're thinking). don't expect any co-ed college to be heavily gender segregated because they aren't.
emmanuel, and i think ih, are the main exceptions to this, where rooms will pretty much not change at all for the majority of people - as in, similar rooms to previous years, not the same room, unless that's what you apply for.

internet at the college is all the same. they all run off the same network. you get supplied with 2gb from the uni every month, and 10gb from college resnet for the semester. at college, you also get dc which has pretty much every popular tv show under the sun and a large amount of mainstream/indie music. as far as i know, i'm the only one with a respectably sized collection of metal. dc is intranet based, so it doesn't count towards downloads. i've downloaded bones seasons 1-6 in under an hour; i think it ran at something like 8-14mb/sec. in addition, downloading anything from a uq based/affiliated site or anything owned by google (ie youtube) doesn't count towards your downloads either.

i realise this is incredibly long and perhaps convoluted. i imagine i haven't covered absolutely everything. feel free to ask anything - ill check back say once or twice a week i think...

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I'm a long time reader, first time poster.
Thanks for the great information about the Colleges at UQ - it's exactly what I needed! :)
But I was wondering If anybody out there has any more information on Duchesne College? I haven't heard much about this college and really want to get a good picture of what all the colleges are like before applying next year.
Thanks in advance!!

JamN

Hi,

I applied to St John's, but haven't yet heard from them. I was interview by the Warden and I thought I would be fine to get in. Do you think I missed out? Was I meant to send in further documentation? I hope it's not too late...

BobSmith159

sorry about the late reply guys. hope whatever i have to offer doesnt get to you too late (though i suspect it is)

Hey guys,
I'm a long time reader, first time poster.
Thanks for the great information about the Colleges at UQ - it's exactly what I needed! :)
But I was wondering If anybody out there has any more information on Duchesne College? I haven't heard much about this college and really want to get a good picture of what all the colleges are like before applying next year.
Thanks in advance!!
sorry, apart from heresay and a lot of the tongue-in-cheek jokes, i know very little about duchesne. generally speaking though, i dont think you can really go too wrong as a girl. the one thing i do know is that duchesne tends to have a fairly strong showing in sports in general, and i believe have a tendency to dominate the sports that are stereotypically guy sports, eg touch, league, afl.
if you were a guy and didnt enjoy getting smashed or playing sports then a college like kings would be completely out.

Hi,

I applied to St John's, but haven't yet heard from them. I was interview by the Warden and I thought I would be fine to get in. Do you think I missed out? Was I meant to send in further documentation? I hope it's not too late...
im not 100% sure about the other colleges, but johns definitely only releases their offers after uq offers are made (so that they dont give offers to people who didnt actually get a place in uq). i dont remember when exactly it was that i got my readmittance letter, but in all honesty, if you havent heard from them by the time you read this, you really have to be looking hard for other accommodation. dont let is stop you from reapplying at midyear though. im not sure about further documentation, but i dont think theres any provided you made the interview stage. the only further documentation would really be for payment etc. sorry i cant be of more help.

Last edited:

kashmuq

U mad?
emmanuel is big. it's probably the most like john's in terms of atmosphere. if in emmanuel, you get fridges in your room which is handy, but you're allowed to bring fridges in for pretty much any college anyway so it doesn't matter. i have an absolute glutton of a friend at emmanuel and she eats a lot of the food, so i assume it's pretty decent (though this might be telling about her than the food).

Unless things have changed in the last year EMC food is pretty average. Don't know how it fares compared with other colleges though.