• ALL USERS: please familiarise yourself with the MSO Forum Rules (updated 03/08/20).
  • UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

Auckland Initial Degree Options for Graduate Entry

Hi all :)

I've just read a couple posts about physio and biomed, but haven't actually seen any comparing the two... I have a pretty good idea on what a Biomed degree would be like, but in terms of maintaining around an 8.5gpa or above, could a physiotherapy degree be better? It seems like it has a more linear career path - you work as a physiotherapist. And as far as the content goes - it looks quite interesting, and a bit more practical than a Biomed degree.

What are you guys thoughts?

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

chinaski

Yes, one is a vocational degree and the other is not. WRT maintaining a GPA, that depends on your own abilities, effort and interest. There is no such thing as an objectively and uniformly "easier" or "harder" degree.

Bootleg

Absolutely agree with chinaski. I also want to add that under a physiotherapy degree you are limited to the papers you can take i.e. you can only take the papers that are part of the physiotherapy program (if that makes sense). Under a biomed degree you have more flexibility to choose what papers you want to take i.e. you can choose science papers (that are more practical based) as well as taking a couple of art or business or whatever papers you find interesting.

Also, don't be fooled into thinking that a physio degree at AUT is easier than a physio degree at Otago. That isnt correct. At the end of the day Both AUT and Otago physio graduateshave to meet the same requirements under the NZ physiotherapy board.

Last edited:

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads