Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

International ATAR

• Thread starter Deleted member 34945
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34945

I have scored 89% in year 12 from Indian state board in 2017 and wanna apply for medicine for 2020 intake as a domestic student. With this score, which universities can I apply provided I score great UCAT score and perform well in interview. Need help.......!

A1

Rookie Doc
I have scored 89% in year 12 from Indian state board in 2017 and wanna apply for medicine for 2020 intake as a domestic student. With this score, which universities can I apply provided I score great UCAT score and perform well in interview. Need help.......!

I am assuming you are an Aus citizen or PR to apply as domestic but with overseas Y12 results. In this case you need to send your Y12 results to the TACs (UAC, QTAC, VTAC, SATAC, TISC) ask them to convert to an Aus ATAR equivalent. Then we can advise which universities/med schools you can apply to.

Since you completed the Y12 in 2017, are you now living in Aus and are you in any uni course?

D

Deleted member 34945

Yes I live in south Australia. Currently I’m not doing any tertiary study. I dint start any tertiary education. Do u think I will still be considered as school leaver applicant? Also I was planning to do a foundation course to increase my academic score.

Any rough idea what my ATAR would be?

Or instead keep the year 12 score itself and do doc shadowing(work experience), community help and some tafe courses?

Last edited by a moderator:

A1

Rookie Doc
Yes I live in south Australia. Currently I’m not doing any tertiary study. I dint start any tertiary education. Do u think I will still be considered as school leaver applicant? Also I was planning to do a foundation course to increase my academic score.

Since you have not started any tertiary study you will be eligible as school leaver for all med schools except UQ and UoM's Chancellors Program. I have no idea what your ATAR equivalent will be, and I don't think doing a foundation course will help improve it.

Doing work experience, community help etc will help enhance your interview score but for now, focus on finding out your ATAR equivalent first.

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
India

According to this your ATAR would be between 85-90. I'm not sure how your application would work, and I'm not entirely confident whether that ATAR is competitive enough. Worth looking into this more.

D

Deleted member 34945

I am assuming you are an Aus citizen or PR to apply as domestic but with overseas Y12 results. In this case you need to send your Y12 results to the TACs (UAC, QTAC, VTAC, SATAC, TISC) ask them to convert to an Aus ATAR equivalent. Then we can advise which universities/med schools you can apply to.

Since you completed the Y12 in 2017, are you now living in Aus and are you in any uni course?
My equivalent ATAR is 80

Will I at least be considered for jcu...?

Last edited by a moderator:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
My equivalent ATAR is 80

Will I at least be considered for jcu...?
If you're applying as a domestic applicant (as is suggested above) then unfortunately you are way below the mark required for entry to any undergraduate medical school. You'll need to start tertiary study (ideally and highly recommended in a degree that will provide you with an alternative career path should medicine not work out), sit UCAT and apply as a non-standard to the universities that accept NSLs, and/or pursue graduate entry by sitting GAMSAT and applying at the completion of your degree.

Best of luck :)

D

Deleted member 34945

Hello,
How about Dentistry? Like in CSU or LA TROBE or JCU?
I have heard that nsl entry is more difficult to get in.
Also I was thinking to do a foundation course to improve my academic profile, will that help?
Thanks

As u suggested tertiary study......I was thinking of clinical science in Macquarie University.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hello,
How about Dentistry? Like in CSU or LA TROBE or JCU?
Also I was thinking to do a foundation course to improve my academic profile, will that help?
Thanks

It's a nope for dentistry as well, unfortunately!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor

A1

Rookie Doc

Please see these tables first
> [Undergrad] - (2018 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards
> 2017-18 Dent schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

1) As Yamster and Crow have advised you'll see as a school leaver ATAR 80 isn't enough for any Med or Dent school.

2) A foundation course will not change your ATAR at all, you are stuck with the ineligible 80.

3) The most practical path for you now is to start an undergrad degree at any uni
- Choose one that can provide a reasonable career should you be unable to get into Med/Dent in future, at the same time allow you to achieve a high GPA to compete for Med/Dent.
- During 1st & 2nd year sit the UCAT apply for undergrad Med/Dent as non-standard.
- I'm not familiar enough with Dent so will only mention Med here. You will be eligible to apply to JCU (GPA 6.2+ to be competitive), WSU (6.1+), JMP (4.8+). See the non-standard section in the Med table linked above.

4) By 3rd year if you are still not in Med/Dent you should do the GAMSAT and start looking into grad entry for graduates. We can discuss this 1-2 years from now. All the best.

D

Deleted member 34945

Hi guys,
Thanks for the help and information......!
I enquirer with unis like Adelaide,Monash,UNSW and few others. Those universities will consider the foundation program score and will not take ATAR into consideration.
Now I’m a bit confused......I need a score of 9.5/10 to apply. Is it practically achievable.....

A1

Rookie Doc
Thanks for the help and information......!
I enquirer with unis like Adelaide,Monash,UNSW and few others. Those universities will consider the foundation program score and will not take ATAR into consideration.
Now I’m a bit confused......I need a score of 9.5/10 to apply. Is it practically achievable.....

I am fairly certain this advice^ is for applying for non-med courses, or applying as an international student.
I have not seen ANY med/dent school saying in their criteria that they would consider Foundation courses for domestic applicants.

D

Deleted member 34945

I am fairly certain this advice^ is for applying for non-med courses, or applying as an international student.
I have not seen ANY med/dent school saying in their criteria that they would consider Foundation courses for domestic applicants.
Oh......i asked my equivalent ATAR to Newcastle university, so basically my qualification was assessed by Newcastle university and not by qtac or uac. So do you think it’s accurate or do I need to get it assessed by qtac or uac again?

And one last thing........CSU offers a place in dentistry based on UCAT and interview. They don’t consider ATAR.

A1

Rookie Doc
Oh......i asked my equivalent ATAR to Newcastle university, so basically my qualification was assessed by Newcastle university and not by qtac or uac. So do you think it’s accurate or do I need to get it assessed by qtac or uac again?

In some cases where we can apply directly to the uni for a course (usually not so competitive to get in) the qualification can be assessed by the uni.
For all med/dent courses which are highly competitive, we apply through the TAC centres (except UTas). Your qualification is assessed by UAC, QTAC etc. It can come out different to UoN's 80 equivalent but unlikely will be enough to qualify or be competitive for any med/dent school.

And one last thing........CSU offers a place in dentistry based on UCAT and interview. They don’t consider ATAR.

I think they do consider ATAR within the interview itself. Their website says:
The following selection criteria will be adopted when assessing applicants:
  1. .....
  2. High level academic ability.