Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

International Students: General Dentistry Entry

sherri

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into whether international students are given usual number of placements for dentistry AUS wide?? I know a lot of priority is given to them of course but wondering if due to COVID-19 situation we are given a little lead-way in our applications this year?!

Thanks all,

Sherri

Hi everyone!
I am an international student from Canada, and I would like to study Dentistry, in Australia, starting next year. I have so far, applied to CSU, JCU, Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney and Griffiths. I would like to get a bit more information about the programs, from current, or past students. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1. I have read/heard, some not so pleasant things about the CSU dentistry program. Ever since the last visit by the ADC, have things improved, or are the things that were noted, in the review, still an issue? I don't mind living in a rural area, plus the fees, is the cheapest, however I do worry about the quality of education I might get, if I end up choosing CSU, over other schools. I know that at the end of the day, I will still be a Dentist, but at the same time, I don't mind paying extra, for a better education.
2. Does the University of Adelaide, still have a high failure rate, for their Dentistry program, or has it gone down. I read on MSO, that the attrition rate was quite high for Adelaide. It is the most expensive Uni, so an extra year, would cost about 80k extra, plus living expenses which is a lot.
3. I have talked to Griffiths and CSU, thus far, with regards to lab sessions. Apparently, both of the schools, don't let you practice your hand-skills outside scheduled class hours. I originally assumed this was only allowed in North American schools, where you can drop into sim clinic at any time, but the Uni of Adelaide has confirmed that they do, allow extra practice, outside scheduled class times, which is what I am looking for. Do any of the other schools, Melbourne, Sydney, or JCU, allow students to practice their hand skills, outside the scheduled class hours?
4. I already know about most of the pros, of the programs, but not much about the cons. To get a better picture of the Universities, could I get a list or description, about some of the problems with the programs.

Cal

vibe
UQ is also a popular destination for international students, taking in about 44 a year. A large portion of these are Canadian so you would be in good company!!

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
2. Does the University of Adelaide, still have a high failure rate, for their Dentistry program, or has it gone down. I read on MSO, that the attrition rate was quite high for Adelaide. It is the most expensive Uni, so an extra year, would cost about 80k extra, plus living expenses which is a lot.

IIRC the issues of the high attrition rate in Adelaide were based on their medical program, which has since returned to normal levels. I haven't seen any reference to their dental attrition rates

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi everyone!
I am an international student from Canada, and I would like to study Dentistry, in Australia, starting next year. I have so far, applied to CSU, JCU, Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney and Griffiths. I would like to get a bit more information about the programs, from current, or past students. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1. I have read/heard, some not so pleasant things about the CSU dentistry program. Ever since the last visit by the ADC, have things improved, or are the things that were noted, in the review, still an issue? I don't mind living in a rural area, plus the fees, is the cheapest, however I do worry about the quality of education I might get, if I end up choosing CSU, over other schools. I know that at the end of the day, I will still be a Dentist, but at the same time, I don't mind paying extra, for a better education.
3. I have talked to Griffiths and CSU, thus far, with regards to lab sessions. Apparently, both of the schools, don't let you practice your hand-skills outside scheduled class hours. I originally assumed this was only allowed in North American schools, where you can drop into sim clinic at any time, but the Uni of Adelaide has confirmed that they do, allow extra practice, outside scheduled class times, which is what I am looking for. Do any of the other schools, Melbourne, Sydney, or JCU, allow students to practice their hand skills, outside the scheduled class hours?
4. I already know about most of the pros, of the programs, but not much about the cons. To get a better picture of the Universities, could I get a list or description, about some of the problems with the programs.
Welcome to MSO! Do you have a completed undergraduate degree? If so, I'd say the graduate entry dentistry programs would be best given the shorter length of the programs in comparison to the undergraduate degrees.

Welcome to MSO! Do you have a completed undergraduate degree? If so, I'd say the graduate entry dentistry programs would be best given the shorter length of the programs in comparison to the undergraduate degrees.
Thanks for the response! I am leaning towards the graduate entry programs, however due to the situation with Corona virus, I am having a hard time finding a date/time for the entrance exam, required for admission. Without it, I won't be able to apply and the application deadline is just over a month away. I am thinking about the undergrad programs, however I have heard some not so great things about the rural programs, so I am a bit concerned about the type of education I will receive.

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into whether international students are given usual number of placements for dentistry AUS wide?? I know a lot of priority is given to them of course but wondering if due to COVID-19 situation we are given a little lead-way in our applications this year?!

Thanks all,

Sherri
Hey, I am also an international student. From what I have heard, some of the schools, such as Sydney and Melbourne, have reduced the entrance exam scores required for admission. I have to write the DAT exam and a competitive score, is usually in the range of 20-21 for Melbourne, and 19+ for Sydney, whereas this year, it is one-two points lower. Other than that, both of these schools moved up the application deadline, but that is about it. There aren't any extra spots available this year. For the undergrad programs, the GPA might be a bit lower, but I am not 100% certain. Some of the other programs, have less international applicants this year, due to COVID-19, but there is no guarantees, that it applies to Dentistry as well.

umi567

Hello, I'm inclined to study Dentistry in Australia.
Which universities offer Bachelor of Dental Surgery as an undergraduate entry or a similar undergraduate degree, other than the University of Adelaide?

Dreamer

BDSc III 💫
Valued Member
Hello, I'm inclined to study Dentistry in Australia.
Which universities offer Bachelor of Dental Surgery as an undergraduate entry or a similar undergraduate degree, other than the University of Adelaide?
Hello, welcome to MSO!
The undergrad dent degrees other than Adelaide are as follows:
Uni of Queensland: B. Dental Science (Honours)
Charles Sturt Uni: B. Dental Science
Griffith Uni: B. Dental Health Science + M. Dentistry (must complete the masters, not just the bachelors)
James Cook Uni: B. Dental Surgery
La Trobe Uni: B. Dental Science (Honours)

Best of luck :)

Last edited:

I started a second degree since I was told Griffiths uses the most recent one. Anyways I am trying to convert my gpa from a 4.0 scale to 7.0 and needed some help. Some other Uni's in Aus assign a 6.5 to a B+ grade, whereas the Griffiths scale goes up in 1s instead so a B+, I assume would be a 6, just like a B. Do they give out grades in 0.5 if you transfer from other schools or apply from abroad or will they just round your grade down?

chinaski

Can't help you on the GPA question, but be aware that the university name is "Griffith", not "Griffiths", pleural. You don't want to get the name wrong if you end up interviewing with them: not a good look.

A1

Rookie Doc
Some other Uni's in Aus assign a 6.5 to a B+ grade, whereas the Griffiths scale goes up in 1s
Only GEMSAS does grade points in 0.5s (so only applicable when the med/dent school requires applying via GEMSAS). All unis here do grade points in 1s including Griffith Dent.

To convert an Australian 4-scale GPA to 7-scale simply add 3 to *your uni* GPA (i.e. not based on Griffith's HD/D scale) provided there's no Fail in your transcript. If there's a Fail you need to do individual-unit calculations. If it's a US/overseas 4-scale you need to call Griffith or QTAC.

stonks123

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post in, please let me know if I need to remove my post >.<

I was wondering what is everyone else's application on SATAC? I applied to Adelaide BDS and have completed the interview. However, SATAC says that I do not have a current application. Anyone else facing the same issue?

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Could you send a screenshot? Usually TAC codes are just source of needless confusion but ive never heard that before.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Ohh this is international admissions.. my bad.

Hm weird, I would call them. Are you on an old webpage it’s weird how it mentions 2020

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post in, please let me know if I need to remove my post >.<

I was wondering what is everyone else's application on SATAC? I applied to Adelaide BDS and have completed the interview. However, SATAC says that I do not have a current application. Anyone else facing the same issue?
hi ive got the same page as you as well