Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

International students studying medicine in Australia

Hey,

A friend of mine finished year 12 in Pakistan and is looking to study in Australia (or perhaps NZ). She has a really good grasp of the English language, and has had high marks at school.

Which schools allow international students? Of these, which allow students from Pakistan? (I think some medical schools do exchanges with specific countries only).

What is the application process like?

Are there any scholarships available?

meethu

Welcome to MSO :) Sorry cant help you much, but I know Newcastle University doesnt accept internationals and as far as Im aware JCU doesn't either. However, every other Australian uni does (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so there are plenty to apply to and choose from. Some unis require you to do the UMAT, although most now use the ISAT and Adel uses their own version of an aptitude test to select people for interviews. Final selection for undergraduate courses is usually based on the combination of your scores that you achieve in the aptitude test, the interview and your yr 12 mark. There are many scholarships available but you'll have to go to every uni's website to check them out. Same applies for the application process, every uni has a slightly different process so tell your friend to go to every unis website she wants to apply to and enquire directly to the uni if she has questions for accurate and up to date info :)

Last edited:

nottellingu

Welcome to MSO :) Sorry cant help you much, but I know Newcastle University doesnt accept internationals and as far as Im aware JCU doesn't either. However, every other Australian uni does (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so there are plenty to apply to and choose from. Some unis require you to do the UMAT, although most now use the ISAT and Adel uses their own version of an aptitude test to select people for interviews. Final selection for undergraduate courses is usually based on the combination of your scores that you achieve in the aptitude test, the interview and your yr 12 mark. There are many scholarships available but you'll have to go to every uni's website to check them out. Same applies for the application process, every uni has a slightly different process so tell your friend to go to every unis website she wants to apply to and enquire directly to the uni if she has questions for accurate and up to date info :)

Jcu does accept internationals so does bond. You normally have to do some sort of aptitude test either umat or another alternative unless ur applying to unsw and ur from singapore.

theangelofdarkness

International Member of Mystery
Emeritus Staff
Also, Newcastle does. It's just one of those icky universities with a specific agreement with certain countries, being Malaysia.

beks29

International students I believe apply to the uni's directly, not through admission bodies... and of course look into ISATs, and some uni's have their own tests

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
and considering it's a money making exercise I very much doubt there are many scholarships going.

Jeesan

Hey there Info Please, a very warm welcome to the world of MSO :)

I'm an international student and am from South Asia too. I only applied to UNSW last year because it exempts off-shore applicants from UMAT, which I couldn't appear because its not conducted in my country Bangladesh (and I was just too lazy to actually travel a long distance to sit a test!) so I can only fill you in about my experience of the application process at UNSW (and most unis I think follows the same basic procedure although there are differences for sure as meethu said). But the University does require int'l students to prove their English Language proficiency so I had to sit for IELTS (which isn't a big deal if you have command over English). I did GCE A-levels (which is the year 12 equivalent qualifications in the UK) and its pretty well recognised by the Aussie unis so I didn't have to explain them my qualification or have trouble filling in their 'optioned' online form. As far as I heard, the Go8 unis do not except HSC qualification (the Australian year 12 equivalent) of Bangladesh or Pakistan and require those students to complete a foundation year. If you do have any doubts, you can always e-mail them.

As beks291 already mentioned, you apply to the university directly. I applied online and it was quite easy. Its just a few steps of filling in information. Then you get a confirmation page which you need to print out and send it to the 'Direct Admissions Office' along with certified copies of your academic records. UNSW only accepts online payment by credit card, which is the most convinient way cause its instant, but I think other unis have the option of paying visa bank draft. Since you'll be applying to Medicine, you also need to fill in and send to the faculty the 'Medicine Application Form' which can be downloaded from the faculty's website. This form asks you some personal questions (like where & how you were brought up, your characteristics and the timeless question 'why you want to study medicine) and needs a comment from your institution's principal.

About 3-4 weeks after I applied, I got a mail to confirm a date for the interview. UNSW arranges telephone interviews for int'l students (I'm not sure about other unis) so I didn't need to travel. But it did get a little difficult cause we didn't get a good line and everything was hazy. The interview was quite personal and based on the information on my medicine application form. It lasted about 35 minutes.

2 weeks after my interview I got my offer letter and was totally excited and accepted it straight.

But you know what, I'm not studying at UNSW now and had to defer to 2010 because I was refused a freaking stupid visa! :( Bangladesh, and I think Pakistan too, have been shifted to lower assesment levels (due to emerging radical Islamist militia maybe) so its quite difficult for us to get visas. Some say its also because of the recession, the DIAC has turned very unwelcoming. Whatever it is, I most unfortunately couldn't commence despite having secured a competitive offer, and they couldn't even show a proper reason for my visa refusal! Anyway, do not get deterred by that but just be aware to keep backup plans and try to lodge the visa application as early as possible.

Uh-oh, I drifted offtopic...sorry...coming back, this is pretty much it. Its quite easy and not complicated at all. As meethu mentioned, you should check each uni's website as they all have different procedures. And the websites are quite easy to navigate and contain most of the information you'll need its best if you visit them. And the uni ppl are quite friendly so don't hesitate to mail them if you do have any questions.

And about scholarships, I have to agree with Jono...hehe. Scholarships that cover a significant percentage of the tution (or even the full tution fees) are there at some unis (not UNSW though) for high-achievers, but none of them are for medical students! I scoured a lot of unis websites for scholarships for international students and all those that pay substantially have the following words written below "MBBS students/students of clinical programmes are not eligible"! So its pretty much self-finance if you want to study med at aus.

I kinda wrote a whole essay, please excuse me, posting long is one of my identifying characterstics...haha.

Hope it helps :)

emilyjay

Jcu does accept internationals so does bond. You normally have to do some sort of aptitude test either umat or another alternative unless ur applying to unsw and ur from singapore.

Bond did, but from 2011 onwards there will be no spots for internationals
:(