Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Internship: Experiences and Hospital Reviews

Hi guys,
I'm from queensland so I don't know much about the hospitals in NSW
what are the best surgical hospitals in nsw? i know concord is a good one but i'm going to have no chance there so i'm thinking of applying to some less popular ones

chinaski

Is this for internship? Be aware that PGY1 is a general prevocational year, so you won't be streaming your rotations at that stage. I assume you are asking because you're looking to professionally network early…? As a non-NSW applicant, chances are you won't score one of the more coveted networks (due to the priority list), so I guess it's probably wiser to enquire about those networks with reasonable surgical ties at which you stand a chance of employment..?

Sentinel

Interested in applying to this hospital

Anyone working / worked in St George hospital NSW?

What's it like?
Do they have well known speciality etc?

chinaski

Interested in applying to this hospital

Anyone working / worked in St George hospital NSW?

What's it like?
Do they have well known speciality etc?

Yes, they have well known specialty. Which specialty were you specifically interested in?

As per a previous post elsewhere, I hope you have already applied, given that JMO first-round applications have closed. St George is a reasonably well-sought after hospital/network, so you are unlikely to be offered a job there in subsequent rounds.

Sentinel

Has anyone worked / working in Geelong Hospital as a resident.

Im from a different state and not sure whether this is a good hospital to work in as a surgical RMO.
Any general feedback would be appreciated :)

Chocomint

....so I guess it's probably wiser to enquire about those networks with reasonable surgical ties at which you stand a chance of employment..?
I know this is late, but could I followup on those networks with reasonable surgical ties that a P3 might stand a chance of employment?
Thanks!

chinaski

I'm not surgical so can't comment on the peripheral hospitals that have good surgical contacts. Frankly, I think you're better off looking for a network that won't treat you like rubbish - it's a two year contract and you'll do at least one surgical term regardless of where you work, so it's important to consider your quality of life as well as professional opportunities.

Chocomint

Duly noted, thanks for the advice!
I see the blacktown is often listed very low for preferences, is that mainly because of the suburb, or are the factors about the hospital (like how junior doctors are treated) that make it unpopular?

chinaski

It's been a long time since I was a JMO, so I can't pretend to know much about current working conditions. Blacktown used to be a bit of a tough gig WRT workloads, and obviously isn't an inner urban "centre of excellence" hospital, so wasn't as sought after back in my day. TBH, there are so many interns and residents in the system now, that workload is a comparatively small concern these days.

Bajanana

Lurker
Hi, I am a final year student in JCU. I have got an offer in Liverpool Hospital for internship, and also in Adelaide Northern district. I have heard mixed things about the hospital in Liverpool, and just wondering if any interns/RMO anyone with experience here can shine a light on it.

Thanks

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Hi, I am a final year student in JCU. I have got an offer in Liverpool Hospital for internship, and also in Adelaide Northern district. I have heard mixed things about the hospital in Liverpool, and just wondering if any interns/RMO anyone with experience here can shine a light on it.

Thanks

I think you'll find the problem is that members with experience at Liverpool Hospital are unlikely to post to reply to you, because that would mean they are revealing personal details about themselves by doing so (i.e. they are saying they work there or have worked there in the past).

This then becomes a problem if this were to be traced back to them in future when they apply for jobs at Liverpool Hospital, especially if anything negative was said about it (or was not mentioned as positive and could be implied by omission).

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
A reasonable option would be to call the actual JMO administrator and see if they can put you in touch with either the RMO/JMO society at Liverpool hospital. There's a good chance that if you got some contact details of someone interning at the hospital they'd be pretty happy to have a chat about it all and tell you their feelings, especially since PGY-2 offers come out shortly/have started coming out so some of them will invariably not be afraid of talking honestly about the hospital they are currently at/

Solierre

Lurker
re. Nepean and Blacktown Hospitals

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had any information on what being an intern is like in either of these hospitals and what life is like in the surrounding area outside of hospital?

Would greatly appreciate any input!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I was just wondering what the hospital culture at the Royal Hobart Hospital is like for junior doctors and how hard it is to get good rotations there?