Internship: NSW Preferencing and Explanation

I'm a Cat 4 (international student) interested in applying through the DRA pathway. There was a talk today and someone said "as an international student if you don't really get your 2nd and 3rd preferences". I was just wondering how true this statement is? Do you guys know anyone who got their 2nd, 3rd or 4th preference? If I were to apply Nepean (1), Bankstown (2), Wollongong (3) and I don't get Nepean, does that mean I won't have a chance in the DRA pathway anymore?

Yes that's correct, see on page 6 > https://www.heti.nsw.gov.au/__data/...-Pathway-Procedure-for-2022-Clinical-Year.pdf

"After category 1 .... HETI makes offers to the next category of applicants who have put a DRA network as their first preference".

If your first preference is not successful your 2nd to 15th prefs (including DRA-network ones) will be considered in the Optimised pathway, not in the DRA.

I'm a Cat 4 (international student) interested in applying through the DRA pathway. There was a talk today and someone said "as an international student if you don't really get your 2nd and 3rd preferences". I was just wondering how true this statement is? Do you guys know anyone who got their 2nd, 3rd or 4th preference? If I were to apply Nepean (1), Bankstown (2), Wollongong (3) and I don't get Nepean, does that mean I won't have a chance in the DRA pathway anymore?

Last edited:
Hi would you mind shareing where you ended up going? I am in the same situation this year the catagory 4 thingy is really stressful
To increase your chances you should apply for a WA internship as well. Last year they employed one or two graduates from OUM who are lower priority than Aus int'l grads.

And WA interns get quite good pay - although based on 80 hrs/fortnight we get $83k + super + $6k professional development = $97k before evening/weekend loadings.

To increase your chances you should apply for a WA internship as well. Last year they employed one or two graduates from OUM who are lower priority than Aus int'l grads.

And WA interns get quite good pay - although based on 80 hrs/fortnight we get $83k + super + $6k professional development = $97k before evening/weekend loadings.

Last edited:
Do you know if there any cases where international students failed every single pathway to get an internship in australia and can not be registered?
From my studies of the numbers, each year there are about 300 intern spots available to 500-550 int'l graduates. Some of these 500-550 may have chosen to return to home countries but it still leaves a large number in Aus without an internship (thus no registration). You need to try all avenues and if necessary apply again next year.

Btw since you mentioned in another thread, are you getting NZ citizenship? If so you'd be Cat 1 for NSW.

Also If I do my internship in a rural hospital in WA would it disadvantage me to be selected for SET training program? I particularly interested in general surgery and urology
Sorry I don't know enough to help answer this. Not sure who we can turn to, maybe try Pagingdr?

From my studies of the numbers, each year there are about 300 intern spots available to 500-550 int'l graduates. Some of these 500-550 may have chosen to return to home countries but it still leaves a large number in Aus without an internship (thus no registration). You need to try all avenues and if necessary apply again next year.

Btw since you mentioned in another thread, are you getting NZ citizenship? If so you'd be Cat 1 for NSW.

Sorry I don't know enough to help answer this. Not sure who we can turn to, maybe try Pagingdr?

Last edited:
Do you know if there any cases where international students failed every single pathway to get an internship in australia and can not be registered? Also If I do my internship in a rural hospital in WA would it disadvantage me to be selected for SET training program? I particularly interested in general surgery and urology
No it won't disadvantage you to be selected for SET training program. You actually get bonus points for working rurally/regional Australia. Also you can always move back to larger hospitals/back to metro after your internship.

Reactions: A1
No it won't disadvantage you to be selected for SET training program. You actually get bonus points for working rurally/regional Australia. Also you can always move back to larger hospitals/back to metro after your internship.

Last edited:
Hey is there any way to find out the number of category 2 applicants accepted at nsw hospitals? Want to know the likelihood of putting down Westmead as no 1. or whether to consider a more attainable hospital.

I'm a Cat 3 in NSW (domestic graduate of an interstate medical school). I've heard that some Cat 4s got intern spots at rural enough locations but from what I understand of the rural allocation round, only the first preference is considered then the rest are allocated to the regular match.

1. Do I have a chance in the regular match?
2. If not, do I essentially have to pick that first choice in a way that balances how rural I want to be (to be honest, not very as long as long as it satisfies my Return of Service) and how realistic it is that I get that spot? Is there anywhere I could find places where Cat 4s got accepted last year, as by definition that means I would have been too?

Hey is there any way to find out the number of category 2 applicants accepted at nsw hospitals? Want to know the likelihood of putting down Westmead as no 1. or whether to consider a more attainable hospital.
Hey I'm a future cat 2 applicant. I was wondering if you ended up getting an offer? What was your order of preference in the end?
Cheers 👍

Hey can someone please provide some advice on this. I am tossing up between Hornsby and Westmead at the moment and would honestly be happy with either. Would it be stupid to place Hornsby 1st on my stack list and then Westmead 2nd and then follow the rest of the stack order correctly? Any advice on this is appreciated. Thanks!

Back