Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Internship question

Nic001

Hey I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place...if not apologies, please direct me where I need to go.

I'm studying Med at UTAS, just wondering is it possible to get an internship in Melbourne where I live?

looroo

Hey I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place...if not apologies, please direct me where I need to go.

I'm studying Med at UTAS, just wondering is it possible to get an internship in Melbourne where I live?
Hi Nic,
Its definitely possible to get an intern job in Melb after graduating from UTAS. I didn't apply to VIC last year, but I know that several of my friends (graduates from UTAS) got first round offers to the Alfred, RMH, the Austin, Southern Health and Geelong and are enjoying their internship at these hospitals.
You do have to bear in mind though, that the numbers of med students graduating are increasing by large numbers (the "med student tsunami") and there is a finite number of intern spots... which is making, and will make, getting an intern job at the more popular hospitals, more competitive.

Applications for VIC are through the PMCV computer matching site: http://computermatching.pmcv.com.au/index.cfm
But for VIC you have to apply to the individual hospitals as well, so its best to visit their intern/junior doctor pages on the hospital websites.

VIC hospitals also have an open day every year (I think roughly in May?), so you'll be able to find more information and talk to reps from each hospital directly at the open day

raymdc-89

I've been hearing that a few HECS students at UTAS applying this year are having serious troubles trying to get interviews from Vic and NSW. Tas is still probably safe, but this will change with each passing year.

JeremiahGreenspoon

I've been hearing that a few HECS students at UTAS applying this year are having serious troubles trying to get interviews from Vic and NSW. Tas is still probably safe, but this will change with each passing year.
Wow. Difficulties even getting interviews (let alone internship) sounds a little foreboding.

ladynove

Double shot cappuccino.
When I read up on the Royal Melbourne website, they sort of insinuated wherever they could that internships were in high demand and that they are very thorough with their selection process. Unfortunately you aren't guaranteed a place when you land that intial interview. Interviews often come around in the form of 1st round and 2nd round interviews which is sort of cruel, seeing as I myself feel fantastic whenever I land an interview. :/

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus
Hey guys.

There was only 2 people from UTAS that got first-round offers in Victoria for internships in 2012. There were 3 more people that got spots in the 6-7th rounds.
- Royal Melbourne: 1
- Eastern Health: 1
- Peninsula Health (Frankston Hospital et al): 2
- Rural Victorian region: 1

It is likely that no interstate students will get spots in Victoria for 2013, based on the information I've been given by my Victorian hospital.

Harpwn

What about preferences within tasmania? Did many people want say RHH and end up in burnie or launnie or vica versa :p

kashmuq

U mad?
Do all UTas graduates get an internship in Tasmania? If not where are they expected to go? I thought some of them used to go to Vic so what would happen now?

mighty

Do they have a preference towards local graduates from Victoria then?
Yeah. I think most states (if not all?) have a preference towards graduates from their own state. I've only done a quick Google search to confirm this but if you're interested in knowing how they preference it in each state:

That was all I could be bothered to look up heh. :p

Last edited:

Kyle

Old Man MSO
Emeritus
Yeah. I think most states (if not all?) have a preference towards graduates from their own state.
All states + ACT do. Northern Territory has never had any local graduates though so it has never been an issue there.

Do all UTas graduates get an internship in Tasmania? If not where are they expected to go? I thought some of them used to go to Vic so what would happen now?
No, Tasmania is the only state not to*Guarantee*CSP grads a spot, and it just doesn't have the capacity to do so.

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus
All states + ACT do. Northern Territory has never had any local graduates though so it has never been an issue there.

No, Tasmania is the only state not to*Guarantee*CSP grads a spot, and it just doesn't have the capacity to do so.
Funnily enough that's only half true. The State Government actually has "guaranteed" CSP graduates an intern job each, but the thing is, there is nothing legally binding or even really in writing about it.

The other thing is that there has never been an issue with it up until now, because there has always been enough of an interstate export of graduates to require an import to fill up the internship spots in Tasmanian hospitals. That won't be the case as of next year though, there will be a lot of graduates without a job unfortunately.

kashmuq

U mad?
That won't be the case as of next year though, there will be a lot of graduates without a job unfortunately.
So next year some Tasmanian CSP grads won't get an internship in Tasmania/interstate? Because I think that would be the first case of CSP students missing out on an internship.

philistine

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.

Last edited: