Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Internship: Victoria Explanation and Questions

A1

Rookie Doc
If I'm understanding correctly, that means if a single Cat 4 person got in then all Cat 3 people got in?
For NSW the Priority rankings are applied within each hospital/network, not on the whole round. See explanation below.

In the Rural Allocation round they only look at the hospital/network you nominate as your first preference. If your first preference is for the hospital where a Cat 4 gets in then yes a Cat 3 is assured. But if a Cat 4 gets in say hospital Z whereas at hospital Y your choice Cat 1&2 have taken all the spots then you miss out, i.e. they WON'T switch you to hospital Z to take over the Cat 4's spot.

In that case as a Cat 3 what's the point of working on my resume
I believe the NSW Allocation system doesn't work on resumes. After the Rural/Regional rounds, its underlying algorithm is optimisation to result in higher preferences to more applicants.

So for example VRPA (which is the system I'm most likely to have a chance in - but also asking for regular match), everyone in Cat 1, even the worst possible applicant, has a better chance than my Cat 2 at getting a spot?
I think the Vic VRPA works similarly to NSW Rural/Regional. VRPA allocation is done first, those who miss out a VRPA spot (or didn't apply for VRPA) then fall back to PMCV matching.

You need to find out how the VRPA works, are the priorities within each VRPA network or on the whole VRPA round. And where do resumes/references fit into the allocation scheme. Best of luck.

Thank you. So if only the first preference in NSW is considered for the rural round, do I have to apply to NSW in a way that balances how rural I want to be (to be honest, not very as long as long as it satisfies my Return of Service) and how realistic it is that I get that spot? Is there anywhere I could find places where Cat 4s got accepted last year?

You need to find out how the VRPA works, are the priorities within each VRPA network or on the whole VRPA round. And where do resumes/references fit into the allocation scheme. Best of luck.

Any places that would be particularly good to find out this information?

I'll post on the NSW thread too.

Hey - me again. Just wondering how exactly the Priority Groups work internally.

I'm aware Priority Group 1 is case-managed so all of them need spots before we can consider anyone else. However, I'm experiencing some confusion about the lower Groups.

Can hospitals offer spots to lower Priority Groups before every single applicant in a higher one is fully considered e.g. does Priority Group 3 need to be exhausted before Group 4 is considered for offers in the VIC intern match? If they can, despite the fact Group 3 should have higher Priority, that seems to run counter to my thoughts on what the word priority means, so in what way does your Priority Group actually influence your likelihood of getting an offer compared to those above and below you?

I know the hospitals have to make a list of candidates in the order they want them (to be compared to lists applicants make of hospitals they want). Must they rank even the worst Group 3 above the best Group 4? And if that's not how it works, how does it work?

Could it ever occur that a Group 3 misses out because he lost his spot to a Group 4, or does any Group 3 who misses out miss out because all the spots were taken by Groups 1 and 2 in that hospital? And if the latter is the case - isn't it possible to greatly increase your chances of matching by finding hospitals that gave offers to your Group (and lower Priority) the previous year, because that means:
  1. Few enough people in the Groups above you took up spots that lower Priority Groups had a shot
  2. If someone in a Group below you got an offer, that means that everyone in your group must've gotten one too?
Also - any word which Priority Groups are having a computer match this year? All of them, or just 1 and 2 like it used to be?

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
I am not but I understand PMCV has recently done a webinar on how the matching will occur. I’ve heard there’s some changes so I suspect they’ve clarified it well in the webinar.

Supersoldier have you had a watch of this?

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads