JCU Interview and General Question Thread for JCU

Discussion in 'James Cook University' started by Benjamin, Nov 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. justwannawish

justwannawish New Member

Hey,

I was wondering whether you need to write in block letters for your JCU application. Secondly, do we need supporting documents for what we say that we have done e.g. work experience?

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Resident (JCU MBBS) Administrar

Doesn't matter re: block letters vs printing vs cursive, as long as it is easily legible & clear. I'm not sure why JCU continues to stick with hand-written responses, I feel it adds very little value.

Typically applicants include the person they did the most work experience with as one of their referees & this tends to do away with the need for supporting evidence. Even if you don't do this there isn't a requirement for it so I wouldn't stress about it!

3. MrsNema

MrsNema New Member

Does JCU give preference to QLD candidates ?

Could you please advise , what the referee letters should mention?
    Should they not be the work experience people ?
    I heard that it can be a even a family friend who knows you personally , is that right ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2018
  4. KRO

KRO Regular Member

They don't give preference to QLD candidates, only rural and Indigenous candidates. I am unsure of what you mean by your question I've bolded - are you asking if someone you did work experience with should be one of your referees? If so, yes, if they can attest to your personal qualities and potentially your suitability to a career in rural med/dentistry, then they would be a good person to write you a referee letter.
    Read Benjamin's post here on his thoughts on the referee letters: JCU - JCU Written Application Discussion - 2017

I also posted this example template to another member regarding what info you may or may wish to include in your referee letters:
    If you have been unable to find three people to write you a letter, a family friend would be fine I'm sure. As Benjamin says, the letters likely don't carry much weighting, but you should definitely include three if you can. Good luck.

5. MrsNema

MrsNema New Member

Thank you so much, that was helpful indeed

6. Nkap

Nkap New Member

Hey Guys!
    Is there a word/ page limit for the letter of support, as in can the referee write 2 pages? Also is it okay to have 2 letters from the same place/company?
    Thanks in advance

7. KRO

KRO Regular Member

They haven't stated a limit, so I'd say that would be fine, though I'd caution against submitting something too wordy unless it's kept concise and everything is relevant. I think diversity among the letters would be better rather than doubling up from the same place, but if that's your only option that would be fine - if possible you should try to have the 2 letters discuss different parts of your character etc so that your assessors aren't just reading the exact same thing about you twice over. Having said this, I wouldn't be overly stressed about the letters - the application itself is more important. Best of luck!

Nkap likes this.
  8. Nkap

Nkap New Member

Thanks KRO! Also can we write outside the lines slightly in the application or not? I've got a fair bit to write so I was wondering how strict are they and what can they allow?

9. KRO

KRO Regular Member

I would caution against doing that - while I doubt that they'd actually invalidate the application if you did write outside the lines, the guide does clearly state to write within the line space provided and it's better to be safe than sorry. My recommendation - write as small as you like, so long as it is neat and legible (have other people read it to check its readability to be safe - what appears legible to you may not be to other people). :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Nkap likes this.
  10. Benjamin

Benjamin Resident (JCU MBBS) Administrar

Remember that successful applicants have done so by adhering to the rules set out in the application & that more words does not necessarily equate to a better application. I would suggest typing out of your responses in full length, printing it & then turning them into dot-points with as few key words as possible. Once you have done that, try and reconstruct the original themes by using the dot-point list without looking at the actual original. You will likely eliminate a lot of unnecessary words by doing this & the overall message should be clearer as well.

Nkap and KRO like this.
  11. Jason1112

Jason1112 New Member

Are letters of support from teachers acceptable?

12. KRO

KRO Regular Member

Definitely acceptable - though if you have the option of having letters from 3 different avenues of your life, rather than 3 school teachers, you may wish to take that (as it shows that you are a diverse person with multiple interests) but I wouldn’t worry overly if that’s not possible for you. Good luck :)

13. Jason1112

Jason1112 New Member

Thanks heaps! And if i get an interview, what is some good preparation i can do?

14. KRO

KRO Regular Member

I’d start on the first post of this thread, then check out our interview sub-forums. There are an endless amount of interview resources out there if you search for them and they’re not too hard to find! If the time comes when you have been offered an interview and you have further specific questions, someone on MSO will certainly be able to help you out :)

15. AnnGG

AnnGG New Member

I live interstate. Do I still have a chance getting an interview if I apply. My GPA is 6.7? what kind o things would support my written application?

16. KRO

KRO Regular Member

Definitely not too low - though the written application plays a very important part in determining whether you receive an interview or not. For an excellent guide on the written application: JCU - JCU Written Application Discussion - 2017 If you have further specific questions about the application after reading that thread, ask away.

17. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    This link gives an insight into the JCU Med Dean's mind
    > How can Australia have too many doctors, but still not meet patient needs?
    The Dean's concerns will be reflected in how JCU Med is driven. If you can convince JCU you would be part of the solution rather than adding to the problem, it will enhance your chance of getting in.

18. victoria53688

victoria53688 New Member

Hi! Just to clarify are "non-standard" places for those already doing a Uni degree?
    Also with 1st and 2nd round interviews... I have a low predicted ATAR of around 93-94 (due to a mixture of being very sick with sepsis and screwing up a big assessment block and also being not all that great at English) but I think I will be able to get 96+ for my actual result (fingers crossed)
    Would there be any chance of a 1st round interview with what I believe to be a very strong application (I have done volunteering for indigenous charities + nursing homes + work experience in hospitals which has helped in the application) and support letters from teachers and emergency doctor who I did work experience with ect? Basically would it be possible with this predicted ATAR?
    Last thing: is there a set pathway for students to work rurally after the finish at JCU? I am from inner Sydney however really really want to work up in the NT and was wondering if there is a transitional process facilitated by JCU. I hope that my genuine passion for indigenous + rural health helps me out here!

19. KRO

KRO Regular Member

Yes, that's correct re: non-standards - they are students who have a tertiary education record. Whether you are in a position to gain an interview or not is highly dependent on your rurality/Indigenous status - if you are a non-rural, non-Indigenous applicant, then an ATAR of 93-94 is unfortunately almost certainly too low, even with an exceptional written application; you'd probably find the same with a 96 unless you really aced the application and subsequent interview for a place offer. The lowest non-rural ATAR recorded on MSO that received an interview last year had an ATAR of 97.0 (this isn't to say there wasn't someone with a lower ATAR than this who received an interview). If you have lived rurally for 5+ years consecutively or 10 years cumulatively prior to living in Sydney (which it doesn't sound like you have) then this would give you rural status and would vastly increase your chances. However, you have nothing to lose by applying and an extremely strong written application could get you over the line for an interview if your ATAR turns out higher than expected, so don't take this as a "be all and end all" from me.

You may need to consider starting tertiary study in a non-medicine degree next year and then apply as a non-standard applicant / pursue graduate entry medicine. If you have any questions to ask regarding this, please feel free to do so in an appropriate thread.

To answer your last question: JCU's medical program would certainly set you up for a career in rural healthcare and if you got into the program you'd have the opportunity for clinical placements in Darwin, which would likely be conducive to you setting yourself up for work in the NT beyond graduation if that's the pathway you want to follow. Benjamin may have further insight that he'd like to offer here.

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 10:45 PM
  20. victoria53688

victoria53688 New Member

Thank you.
    I am a NSW student with no rural or Indigenous background and have Medical Science at UNSW as a backup (guaranteed at 94) plus bonus points for science band 6s and EAS. I am quite aware than my ATAR is too low but hoping that the final exams go to plan and i'm not in hospital for them like last time.
    Do you think they will see my PAA (prediction of academic achievement) form, see the "94" and not bother reading my application? Or will they read the application regardless? My school isn't great at predicting results and people on average get about +2 ATAR points from their predicted each but this relies on continuing to work hard, which I certainly plan to.
    I hoping that because I am truely passionate about this then I will find a way of doing it regardless if it's my first try or not.