JCU Interview and General Question Thread for JCU

Discussion in 'James Cook University' started by Benjamin, Nov 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Jason1112

Jason1112 New Member

Im from SYdney and i got an interview on the 30th, i was just wondering what would happen if i wasnt able to get up to townsville as there is expected to be heavy rain in sydney and bushfires in QLD, so what happens if my flights get cancelled and other things that will be out of my control. Will JCU consider this at all?

2. umatresults.jpg

umatresults.jpg New Member

just replying as im in the same position as you. i'm thinking of calling tomorrow and checking with them so ill let you know what they say if i do

3. Jason1112

Jason1112 New Member

thanks heaps! let me know please.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Resident (JCU MBBS) Administrar

REMINDER TO PLEASE SEND ME YOUR INTERVIEW EXPERIENCES VIA PM!

The majority of information from this thread has come from people submitting their previous experiences over the years and my hope is that I can keep adding to it. It has however become increasingly difficult each year as I move further & further away from JCU.

If you can send me your interview experience or even just a couple of the questions then I can add them to this thread for next year after the second round interviews are completed.

Good luck everyone.

Dreamer1999 and Crow like this.
  5. q2017

q2017 Regular Member

If your flight is scheduled for tomorrow you should be right, you may be delayed but you should get there within a day. The fire danger zones in QLD are about 1000 km away from JCU campus so that should not be an issue.

6. umatsitter

umatsitter New Member

Hey! Any collated practice questions for JCU? Would love some from prev years, even if anyone has a link for one on this website :)

7. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

pi likes this.
  8. umatsitter

umatsitter New Member

Oh thank you, I didn't see the questions at the beginning and just skipped to the last pages. On the first post it says Crow's 2018 interview questions - does this mean you did the JCU interview in the last week or so, or is this a typo? How did you find the experience as a whole?

9. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

2018 entry = interviewed in 2017 to start (enter) in 2018.* To be honest my experience was very similar to Benjamin’s so I don’t have too much to add to the first post in the above linked thread. I’d recommend talking to the other interviewees beforehand (really helps to calm your nerves) and know that the process is a pretty relaxed one, so I wouldn’t stress out too much. Good luck :)

*ETA: To clarify I am not a JCU student, I just interviewed there.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    umatsitter likes this.
  10. lucky888

lucky888 New Member

Hello, is there any Orchestra / Music club in JCU? I was trying to search but nothing came up
    Thanks

11. umatsitter

umatsitter New Member

In terms of the debated topic, is it such that you analyse the situation from all points of view? or more like you choose a side and then its literally a debate between you and the interviewer, with them arguing against you? Hope that makes sense

12. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

Ideally you will consider the topic from multiple different perspectives (this might be up to you rather than being explicitly stated by the interviewers). From my memory it was more of a discussion of your views on the topic with the interviewers asking follow up questions or “if the topic changed in x way, how would this change your answer?” as opposed to them actively debating against you - the interviewers will more be prompting rather arguing.

umatsitter likes this.
  13. localedgyboi

localedgyboi New Member

Hi, I think the content of my interview was good, however in one of the questions when I was telling an anecdote I got a bit emotional and cried and I couldn’t finish the anecdote. I told them that telling the experience made me emotional and one of the interviewers said okay, we’ll definitely take that into consideration, and she asked me an alternative question.
    I think that crying might have made me seem too emotional for medicine. Do you think I would have any chance now?

14. docs mother

docs mother New Member

Interview completed. Many others to be interviewed. Just over 30 minutes. Fairly basic questions, nothing OTT. In the lap of the gods now

Who knows?! We don't know what floats their boat. Don't even give it a thought. Once I walked out of the interview it was over, and I won't even consider getting an offer. If I do, it is a surprise. Life goes on and 2nd guessing what you said etc is not worth it. Just so you know, I waffled on in sections. So be it!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2018
    localedgyboi likes this.
  15. Sum18

Sum18 New Member

Has anyone that has gotten in, actually walked out of their interview feeling confident? I interviewed last week and did not feel like it went well. But all the current JCU students that I have spoken to said that they didn't feel great about their interviews either (maybe they are just telling me this to make me feel better haha).

16. localedgyboi

localedgyboi New Member

I talked to quite a lot of people after they finished their interview and most, if not all of them were very happy and confident with their performance. However that's their own opinion, their perceptions might be completely different to the mark scheme and how they actually did, especially since only 200 of about 800-900 applicants are given an offer. Just so you know, at the very start of my interview (before I broke down and ruined all possible chances of getting in), I saw the mark scheme, which was a table with excellent, very good, satisfactory, poor, and very poor (something along those lines), and some typed up writing next to each of these grades. I saw that satisfactory was circled, yet what I said was unoriginal, short, lacked depth, and was basically just very poor. So yeah just an example of how your opinion might be different from the actual mark scheme, and the interviewer's perception of how you did.

I also spoke to current JCU students before my interview (which was a complete failure) and most of them said they felt like they flunked it, so the students you talked to were possibly not saying it to make you feel better!

If you conveyed your passion and desire for medicine, the university, and rural, remote, Indigenous, and tropical health, as well as showing your personality, and that you have empathy, work well in a team (they love that), are a good leader, resilient, can cope with change well, have good decision making skills (scenario question), are open-minded ('debating' question), and very passionate about helping the underserved, I would be expecting an offer.

My nervousness and anxiety prevented me from showing any of that well, so yeah gotta work on that and try again next year!

Try and not dwell on it anymore. It's over now, try and enjoy yourself. It's a long time till the 16th of January! All the best.

drpkjr and Dreamer1999 like this.
  17. Paul Kim

Paul Kim New Member

I accepted JCU interview (4th of Jan)

All I know about the interview is that it is held at 4th of Jan 1pm for me (confirmation e-mail)

Have they sent out any detailed information about the interview? (Like what to wear, location, documents to bring etc).

I did not receive any information booklet on the interview and started to worry about it :S...

Does anyone know whether JCU med school send out details of the interview?

I would really appreciate it if you guys could share

18. Kinetica

Kinetica New Member

Have they sent out round 2 offers?

19. drpkjr

drpkjr New Member

I thought offers for the jan 4 round come out on dec 28?

20. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    I thought so too since they have to wait for actual ATARs around mid-December. But this could be for non-standards who now have full-year results?