JCU Interview and General Question Thread for JCU

Discussion in 'James Cook University' started by Benjamin, Nov 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Jason1112

Jason1112 New Member

when do you find out if you get in or not?

2. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS II Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    Key dates & fees - QTAC

And sometimes JCU will contact successful applicants just slightly prior to this via phone.

3. Jason990090

Jason990090 New Member

Hey guys,

I wasnt sure about my interview. I think it either went amazing or went really bloody bad. Many people have posted about when the offers come out, but is that the same day that the rejections come out?
    Or do we not receive any rejections?

Also did anyone of youse who are currently in JCU MED, thought they had a bad interview but still got in?

cheers,

Jason

Also when is the earliest someone has been contacted about their offer?
    Like i saw a guy who got contacted 10 days before the actual offers but i found it hard to believe that they rang him so early!

Also my GPA at flinders uni (adelaide) is 6.20, will it be the same at JCU?

thanks guys,

Jason. BTW just noticed another jason has already been commenting above hahaha

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018
  4. pradon

pradon New Member

Does JCU contact all successful applicants or only those who have put JCU as their first preference ?

5. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    It seems to be a bit of a mixture, and during the conversations, IIRC, they often ask which preference JCU is for the successful applicant, suggesting they don’t actually know that piece of information because they are operating outside of QTAC and contacting applicants directly.

Some universities send rejections, some leave it to be implied by the lack of an offer. None send rejections at the same time as offers because they all know that additional offers will be made once declines start to roll in. For universities who do send rejections, it’s often not until O week when cohorts are largely finalised.

I don’t believe JCU do any sort of weighting, so your GPA will be the same, yes.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  6. Paul Kim

Paul Kim New Member

I forgot to mention, I am non-standard, with special consideration to move my interview to Early January. My degree requires me to do clinic shift during December, hence it was impossible for me to fit in clinic shifts, flight time and interview time in December. So JCU moved my interview to early January :)

7. Kinetica

Kinetica New Member

Ahhhh that makes sense now

8. Jason990090

Jason990090 New Member

whats the earliest anyone has gotten a phone call from JCU?
    I read on another forum that one guy got a call that he had gotten in near christmas!

I honestly didnt believe him tbh.

9. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
  10. Larry1807

Larry1807 New Member

I live in Townsville and I had a predicted OP3. I wrote a very competitive written application and got a first round interview. I was very confident with the face to face interview. Now the problem hits me full in the face today when a got an OP6. I can not believe how far off the estimate and my actual OP was. So I am guessing my dreams of getting a position to study Med at JCU are now gone?

MedBrun likes this.
  11. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Given I’m guessing living in Townsville means you tick the rural background box, this will give you a useful bonus, so definitely don’t give up hope yet! Good luck!

12. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

I don’t think we’ve had any RA-3 applicants report an offer with an ATAR of 91 or lower in recent years, unfortunately (though that doesn’t nevessarily mean it hasn’t/can’t happen). I wouldn’t give up all hope, but I’d definitely have a valid back up option. Good luck :)

13. brisboy

brisboy New Member

I live on the Gold Coast and I had my interview in December . My predicted op was a 2 , but I ended up with an op 4 . Will I still have a chance of entry into medicine at JCU or are my dreams over ? I checked on QTAC and the lowest op last year was a 4 for JCU med . I don't know if this was the cut off for rural students though .

14. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

That is definitely inclusive of rural students (and was likely an RA-4 or RA-5 applicant that received an offer with that OP). I’d say it is unfortunately very unlikely that you’ll be able to receive a place offer as a non-rural with an OP4, so make sure you’ve got a good back up plan. Remember that you’ll be able to apply to JCU again next year as a non-standard applicant if you commence tertiary study. Good luck!

15. brisboy

brisboy New Member

What if it was a high 4 ( nearly a low 3 ) ? I'm actually going to request for a reassessment as I believe I should be at least an op 3

Hi Crow,

A friend of mine on the gold coast got an interview with a predicted op 4 . Why would she get an interview as she is definitely not rural with an op 4 prediction . Wouldn't it be a waste of time ?

cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2018 at 4:31 AM
  16. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

To be honest, the equivalent ATAR for an OP3 is still 95.5-97.0, which is lower than the scores reported by the vast majority of non-rural applicants who received offers at JCU in the past. For example, for 2018 entry we didn’t have a report of a single non-rural offer with an ATAR below 99. Obviously the data on MSO is not representative of all place offers, but that does give a reasonable idea of the academic rank required for non-rural students. At best case scenario, if it was converted to 97.0 then you may have a chance if your interview was outstanding (I’d say a near perfect interview would be required to offset the ATAR with no bonus points for rurality).

I’m not entirely sure what’s involved in a reassessment in the QCE system as I’ve never been through it myself or known anyone that did it, but if you received a lower OP than your prediction this is most likely due to your cohort performing worse on QCS than your school originally expected, in which case a reassessment wouldn’t have an effect. If your subject results were lowered in Term 4 due to moderation, I’d also say that would be difficult to then have changed so that they are lifted, but if you’ve got nothing to lose other than the potential cost involved (is there a cost?) then I’d be keen to hear the outcome otherwise. I tell you this not to dampen your hopes (I would love to see you make it in!) but so that you have a feasible back up option should you miss out (as unfortunately we see applicants every year who are caught off-guard and end up enrolling into a degree that they don’t actually intend on using to pursue a viable alternative career).
    If she had an absolutely outstanding written application, then a high 4 (~95.00 equivalent) may have scraped an interview, with JCU being aware that the applicant would require a pretty much perfect interview for a place offer (pure speculation from me based off the scores I’ve observed in the past receiving offers mostly being upwards of 98.00 for non-rurals). However, is it possible that a) your school inflated the prediction for your friend to assist her in gaining an interview, or b) she actually lived somewhere other than the GC for 5+ years when she was younger and thus gained rurality points, or c) she is an Indigenous applicant? All of these are possible explanations - another is simply that JCU had a slightly lower calibre of applicants this year (in terms of academic rank scores) and thus the cutoff required for an interview was lower than in previous years.

17. Jay_TatumLA

Jay_TatumLA New Member

Hey crow thanks for the reply again :)
    Just one more question.
    For JCU medicine do u think I can get an interview on the 28th with my GPA of 6.875 and a well written application (my application got me an interview last year as a school leaver) and if anything I feel I improved my application.
    Or I had to have a 7.
    Thank you SOO much for your time and effort!

18. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

Have you completed at least 1FTE of tertiary study? Honestly it’s really hard to say for non-standard entry as it’s probably more competitive than school-leaver entry due to the very small number of places on offer (relatively speaking), particularly for non-rural students. Your GPA is definitely there, so it will really come down to how your written application is assessed compared to other non-standard applicants. If your written application got you an interview last year then that’s a pretty good indicator that you’re hitting the mark required, so I’d expect you to receive an interview invite if you’ve again improved it since last year - but I really can’t make you any guarantees, sorry! Best of luck with it anyways :)

19. Jay_TatumLA

Jay_TatumLA New Member

Yes, I have completed 1 FTE of tertiary studies and I have all the pre-requisites for JCU med as well! And I feel quite confident regarding my application! I just thought my GPA was not competitive, as I assume everyone who applies has a GPA of 7!
    And another question is lets say I do well in my interview do I receive a first round offer or a second round offer?
    Cause I asked one of the JCU med students and they said it's very hard to receive a first round offer for a second round interview; they said I am more likely to receive a second round offer.

20. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    For JCU this is a crap answer since first round offers are made equally to *both* 1st round & 2nd round interviewees. If your GPA/Interview performance are up to par you get a 1st round offer, if marginal you might get a top-up offer; all the same as for 1st round interviewees.