Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU JCU Medicine: Interview Discussion

A1

Rookie Doc
I've seen some people mention that they got a text this morning from QTAC. Don't know how legit this is because I've never heard of them doing this before.

QTAC website says "21 December was the major offer round for some semester 1, 2018 courses. Not all institutions participated in this offer round". I guess people got a text because there are many other courses they apply to apart from JCU Med.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
We've also heard of someone who has a very early Curtin Uni Med offer, which seemed unusual. But some investigating revealed they'd applied via the Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander pathway, so it ended up making total sense.

Hi All

I have posted a few times on the forum but mainly for JCU. I have also applied for Bond this year. My GPA is around the 6.12 mark in a masters level course (thats from JCUs calculation). My raw score is 98 and this was provided to Bond, however, QTAC mention that bond do not disclose how they calculates GPAs), although you could infer that possibly the level that your GPA was attained at is taken into account. I was offered psychometric testing. I am definateely interested to know if my brain is suitable or not:) !.

I called Bond they mentioned that the interview offers should be coming out over the next week, I believe the majority should be Monday, Tuesday but definateley to the end of the week. There doesn't seem to be any bias if you are interstate etc as to when you would be notified but all interview times will be fixed and you cannot swap with any other students.

I hope this information helps. Good Luck to everyone!

Hello :)

Wondering if you had applied to JCU? Curious to learn more about their entry process as there’s an extra written component. You’re an insider so it would be interesting to hear your take on it ;)

I_love_curry

Bond MD V
Hello :)

Wondering if you had applied to JCU? Curious to learn more about their entry process as there’s an extra written component. You’re an insider so it would be interesting to hear your take on it ;)

Yes I did apply to JCU back in 2016 and was offered an interview! Do you have any specific questions regarding their written component or entry process in general?

Yes I did apply to JCU back in 2016 and was offered an interview! Do you have any specific questions regarding their written component or entry process in general?

Yes absolutely, assuming you’d be classed as a rural applicant who has either completely and/or partially finished your degree at JCU, wouldn’t you have been placed at a higher preference for admission into their MBBS program?

MyMonkey

Yes I did apply to JCU and have for two years. I have not been offered an interview in either year, therefore couldn't really call me an insider nor be able to tell you much about what they are looking for in the written component.

The written component is quite simple really, there is four quite generic questions along the lines of...
1) why do you want to be a medical practitioner
2) why the interest in rural/tropical health
3) what other information would support your application
4) what other work experience/training would support your application

Its really more the competition that is difficult with JCU - ~3500 applications vs ~170 spots (even worse odds for graduate applicants). I guess what do you expect when there is no need to sit UMAT and the cost is not the exuberant private university cost.

Yes I did apply to JCU and have for two years. I have not been offered an interview in either year, therefore couldn't really call me an insider nor be able to tell you much about what they are looking for in the written component.

The written component is quite simple really, there is four quite generic questions along the lines of...
1) why do you want to be a medical practitioner
2) why the interest in rural/tropical health
3) what other information would support your application
4) what other work experience/training would support your application

Its really more the competition that is difficult with JCU - ~3500 applications vs ~170 spots (even worse odds for graduate applicants). I guess what do you expect when there is no need to sit UMAT and the cost is not the exuberant private university cost.

That's a high number of applicants.
Considering you're a JCU student one would think you have the upper hand.
Sorry to hear, not making the cut to med does come as rather devastating news to most of us. Better luck next time I hope! :)

MyMonkey

That's a high number of applicants.
Considering you're a JCU student one would think you have the upper hand.
Sorry to hear, not making the cut to med does come as rather devastating news to most of us. Better luck next time I hope! :)
I'm not a JCU student? Not sure where you got that information from , I'm interstate To JCU

MamoJamho

I applied last year and I managed to secure an interview spot. Unfortunately, I didnt get offered a placing. Having said that, I am planning on applying once more this year. Would it be okay for me to use the exact same written application that i did for last year’s application?

Sum18

Has anyone got any interview questions from 2017 that they are willing to share? To get an idea of some ones that are a bit more recent :)

entirety

Hello, just wondering when JCU asks for your previous schools, what happens when someone was overseas for a part of their schooling? For example I was born in Australia but for about 6 years of my life I lived overseas. Would this disadvantage me in any way?

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Hello, just wondering when JCU asks for your previous schools, what happens when someone was overseas for a part of their schooling? For example I was born in Australia but for about 6 years of my life I lived overseas. Would this disadvantage me in any way?

The schooling question is used to determine whether you are a rural candidate - if you were in a rural / regional school for >5 years then they'll adjust your rurality score appropriately, beyond that I don't believe it carries any weight in terms of selection criteria.

entirety

The schooling question is used to determine whether you are a rural candidate - if you were in a rural / regional school for >5 years then they'll adjust your rurality score appropriately, beyond that I don't believe it carries any weight in terms of selection criteria.
Ah I see, I just don't know what to write as a school for that part of the application. Would it be okay to just write overseas schooling?

Also, when I was overseas I had experiances with regional/rural areas (my dad's side of the family live in a very rural area overseas), would that be something I can perhaps include in my written application or would it be considered irrelevant? Thanks because I just cant find much info on this sort of thing

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Ah I see, I just don't know what to write as a school for that part of the application. Would it be okay to just write overseas schooling?

Also, when I was overseas I had experiances with regional/rural areas (my dad's side of the family live in a very rural area overseas), would that be something I can perhaps include in my written application or would it be considered irrelevant? Thanks because I just cant find much info on this sort of thing

I would write the name/s of the school/s you attended and then pop a location in brackets probably

Ie. Sunnydale High School (USA)

I don’t believe that being educated in a rural location overseas will alter your rurality ranking (it needs to have been in Australia), but if, in your written answers, you can talk meaningfully about your engagement and experiences in a rural community overseas (not superficially, like, ‘I visited here once’), then I’d think it would be appropriate to include.

Hopefully someone with more JCU experience can chime in, too :)

entirety

I would write the name/s of the school/s you attended and then pop a location in brackets probably

Ie. Sunnydale High School (USA)

I don’t believe that being educated in a rural location overseas will alter your rurality ranking (it needs to have been in Australia), but if, in your written answers, you can talk meaningfully about your engagement and experiences in a rural community overseas (not superficially, like, ‘I visited here once’), then I’d think it would be appropriate to include.

Hopefully someone with more JCU experience can chime in, too :)
Yeah I understand that rural means Australian rural and thanks for the answer!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor

If you can appropriately link your rural experience to your interest in rural/remote medicine/dentistry/health in your application, then it is definitely relevant :)

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff

Others have answered & I agree with them entirely! Best of luck.