Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Interview Invites and Dates 2018-19

A1

Rookie Doc
This will be updated as we confirm dates from the various universities. Please point out errors or missing information.

Western Sydney University (Med)

> MD Important Dates and Deadlines | Western Sydney University
Interview invites will be sent from mid-October to mid-November. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified of this by mid-November. Last year, the first lot of interview invites rolled out on Friday 20th Oct for 2-3 days, then a few top-up invites after interview booking closed.
  • Interviews for all applicants: 26th - 30th Nov, 2018
  • Unlike previous years, no January interview round.

Adelaide University (Med)
> https://health.adelaide.edu.au/sites/default/files/docs/2019-medicine-surgery-admissions-guide.pdf
Interview invites will be sent on Monday 29th Oct.
  • For all applicants: late Nov to first week Dec, 2018
  • Unlike pre-2017, no January interview round.

James Cook University (Med & Dent)
> https://www.jcu.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/272756/2019-MBBS-Information-Sheet.pdf
Medicine interview invites will be sent via email to successful applicants on 9th Nov 2018. Second round interview invites (based on actual ATAR/GPA) sent via email on 28th Dec 2018.
  • First round interviews: 27th Nov - 6th Dec, 2018
  • Second round interviews: 4th Jan 2019
  • Nil interviews for Dentistry

*** The next 5 schools hold separate interview rounds for local vs distant interstate applicants

Joint Medical Program (University of Newcastle/University of New England) (Med)
> Key dates
Specifics unknown re. distribution of interview invites. Last year, interview invites started rolling out on Oct 26th 2017.
  • NSW, ACT, QLD and all rural applicants: 26th Nov - 7th Dec, 2018
  • All other interstate applicants: 23rd and 24th Jan, 2019

University of New South Wales (Med)

> Local applicants | Medicine
Interview invites will be sent via email to NSW/ACT (non-IB) applicants on 14th Dec 2018 based on actual ATAR. Mid-January for IB / interstate students.
  • All applicants applying through the Rural Entry Scheme: Oct-Nov, interviews held at
    regional locations
  • NSW/ACT applicants (predicted ATAR): used to be late Nov, no longer applicable
  • NSW/ACT non-IB applicants (actual ATAR): 17th - 21st Dec, 2018
  • IB / Interstate / NZ applicants: 21st Jan 2019 (an additional interview day may be added if required for IB candidates only on 18 Jan 2019)

Monash University (Med)

> 2019 VTAC interview and selection schedule
Interview invites sent in week starting 17th Dec for Vic, DRL, and DIL applicants. Sent from 12th Jan for interstate/NZ applicants.
  • VCE, DRL, DIL applicants: 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th of Jan, 2019
  • Victorian IB applicants: 8th Jan 2019
  • Interstate/NZ applicants: 22nd and 23rd Jan, 2019

Curtin University (Med)
> https://s26475.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/mbbs-admissions-guide-jul-2018-1.pdf
First round interview invites sent late November.
  • First round for local applicants: 29th and 30th Nov, 2018
  • Second round for interstate applicants: 17th and 18th Jan, 2019

University of Western Australia (Provisional Med and Dent)
> Selection interviews for Medicine and Dentistry > Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences: The University of Western Australia
  • Local applicants with adequate UMAT and predicted ATAR: late Nov - early Dec, 2018.
  • Local and interstate applicants with adequate UMAT and actual ATAR: mid - late Jan, 2019.

Charles Sturt (Dent)
Last year first round interviews were 20th - 24th of Nov, 2017
(Invites were released at approximately midday on the 24th of Oct).

La Trobe University (Dent)
Website indicates dentistry "applicants may be required to attend an interview". Dates could not be sourced.

Bond University (Med)
Applications not yet open.

The following universities do not hold interviews for medicine/provisional medicine courses: University of Queensland (provisional medicine), Griffith University (provisional medicine), Flinders University (provisional medicine), University of Tasmania. Melbourne University does not hold interviews for the "provisional" Chancellor's Program but will do in the final undergrad year before admission to the MD course.

===============================================
If you receive an interview invite, and would like to share your details, that would be excellent for our data collection.

University:
Course:
(Med or Dent)
Predicted ATAR/GPA:
UMAT:
Special Considerations:
(none, rural, GWS, etc)
Application Type: (school leaver, non-standard, etc)

Last edited by a moderator:

Connor

Could I suggest the following, additional info (noted below in red) for UNSW to help other local IB students
---------------------------------------
Interview invites will be sent via email to NSW and ACT applicants on 14th Dec 2018 based on actual ATAR and mid January 2019 for IB applicants. Their key dates page does not indicate when interview invites will be sent to interstate students.
  • NSW/ACT applicants (predicted ATAR): used to be late Nov, no longer applicable
  • NSW and ACT applicants (actual ATAR): 17th - 21st Dec, 2018,
  • IB / Interstate/NZ applicants: 21st Jan 2019 (an additional interview day may be added if required for IB candidates only on 18 January 2019)
----------------------------------------
Question: (sorry in advance if this is not the correct location for this, if so please delete) The above being the case, as an IB student, is it possible that IB applicants will miss the first round of UNSW offers so is it better to preference WSU over UNSW for the first round in UAC?

Reactions: A1

A1

Rookie Doc
Question: (sorry in advance if this is not the correct location for this, if so please delete) The above being the case, as an IB student, is it possible that IB applicants will miss the first round of UNSW offers so is it better to preference WSU over UNSW for the first round in UAC?

Thanks for the info, has been added to the original post.
It's certain that IB applicants will miss the 1st round of UNSW med offers so it's a good suggestion to pref UNSW lower than WSU & JMP for that round.

cook

It's certain that IB applicants will miss the 1st round of UNSW med offers

Hi A1, by this do you mean NSW IB applicants or interstate IB applicants?

Interview invites will be sent via email to NSW/ACT (non-IB) applicants on 14th Dec 2018 based on actual ATAR. Mid-January for IB / interstate students.

Our results are released on January 4th 2019, and it seems that interview invites are emailed to interstate students after that?

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi A1, by this do you mean NSW IB applicants or interstate IB applicants?

Hi, it's both since NSW IB and interstate (IB or non-IB) applicants are only invited to the 21st Jan interstate interview round, they won't be included in the mid-Jan first offer round for UNSW.

For the first offer round NSW IB students and QLD students should pref UNSW lower than JMP + WSU to potentially receive a JMP/WSU offer without pending UNSW result. Similarly other interstate students should pref both UNSW & JMP (2nd round interviews) lower than WSU (1st/only round interviews).

For the first offer round NSW IB students and QLD students should pref UNSW lower than JMP + WSU to potentially receive a JMP/WSU offer without pending UNSW result. Similarly other interstate students should pref UNSW + JMP (2nd round interviews) lower than WSU (1st/only round interviews).

Hi sorry for all these questions, but should we still place WSU higher than UNSW if UNSW is our most preferred/wanted uni out of the 3? I thought that you still get equal consideration for your lower preferences? So either way, regardless of whether WSU is 3rd or 1st on your UAC preferences list, would you still get the WSU offer if it is the only one you're getting in the mid-Jan offer round? Or is this not the case and we would miss out an a WSU offer if WSU was not first on our preferences list?

I hope that made some sense XD

So either way, regardless of whether WSU is 3rd or 1st on your UAC preferences list, would you still get the WSU offer if it is the only one you're getting in the mid-Jan offer round?

If WSU is lower than UNSW and if UAC/WSU go by the book (sometimes they don't), what happens then is in your UAC application the WSU entry is given a code denoting you have met all selection criteria but offer is pending the result of a higher pref (UNSW).
Or is this not the case and we would miss out an a WSU offer if WSU was not first on our preferences list?

Again if UAC/WSU go by the book you won't miss out. In the second offer round you will receive either a UNSW offer or at least the WSU offer. But many students are too anxious for this, they'd rather have the WSU offer in the 1st-round bag first, then raise UNSW higher after accepting WSU.

============
oh right okie
I see, thank you! I'm going to go and move WSU to 1st.

oh right okie
I see, thank you! I'm going to go and move WSU to 1st.

EtA: > https://www.uac.edu.au/assets/documents/applications/course-preference-status-explanations.pdf

The code "You are guaranteed an offer to this course if you (later) have no higher preferences for which you are competitive" is for when you are still in contention for a higher pref. We have also heard of advice from CSU Dent to place it first pref if you want to see their offer in the first round.

fupson

In regards to preferencing JMP/WSU above UNSW - does this mean that I should preference UNSW lowest in order to ensure I get an interview at JMP and WSU in case there's an issue with the UNSW interview pending, even if I'd rather an offer from UNSW than JMP? If I preference one over the other, doesn't this mean that hypothetically if I was chosen for a place at both JMP and UNSW, I'd receive an offer from JMP first via UAC, then would have to decline that offer in order to receive my UNSW offer? Wouldn't this put my hypothetical UNSW offer at risk if I wait until the next round?

A1

Rookie Doc
In regards to preferencing JMP/WSU above UNSW - does this mean that I should preference UNSW lowest in order to ensure I get an interview at JMP and WSU in case there's an issue with the UNSW interview pending, even if I'd rather an offer from UNSW than JMP? If I preference one over the other, doesn't this mean that hypothetically if I was chosen for a place at both JMP and UNSW, I'd receive an offer from JMP first via UAC, then would have to decline that offer in order to receive my UNSW offer? Wouldn't this put my hypothetical UNSW offer at risk if I wait until the next round?

We were discussing place offers and offer rounds. Preferencing has no effect on interview invites, if you are eligible for interviews you will get all their invites no matter where you pref them.

walks787

It states on the UNSW website that interview invites for rural applicants will be sent out in October and November. Does this apply for interstate rural applicants as well?

A1

Rookie Doc
It states on the UNSW website that interview invites for rural applicants will be sent out in October and November. Does this apply for interstate rural applicants as well?

I think including interstate rural applicants. This webpage mentions applicants who have applied through the Rural entry scheme in general, no reference to local or interstate. Thanks for pointing out, I will update the first post to reflect this info
> Rural Student Entry Scheme | Rural Clinical School

walks787

I think including interstate rural applicants. This webpage mentions applicants who have applied through the Rural entry scheme in general, no reference to local or interstate. Thanks for pointing out, I will update the first post to reflect this info
> Rural Student Entry Scheme | Rural Clinical School

A1 does that now mean that rural interview selection at UNSW is based solely off of UMAT like at UAdel?

A1 it States in the rural section on the UNSW website that applicants are selected for interviews on the basis of meeting the UMAT minimum score (150). Does that mean you just need a UMAT raw score of 150 to receive an interview offer??

Last edited by a moderator:

A1

Rookie Doc
A1 does that now mean that rural interview selection at UNSW is based solely off of UMAT like at UAdel?

The linked webpage doesn't mention ATAR so presumably UMAT only. And unlike Adelaide having a competitive UMAT cutoff, UNSW rurals are only required to be above the 150 minimum to get an interview.

walks787

Not A1 but I will answer. The 150 minimum is the minimum UMAT that will be considered. It doesn’t mean that every rural with a 150 or higher UMAT will get an interview, but with anything less than 150 you wont be offered an interview. Once they meet the minimum UMAT, their score will be put together with their ATAR and then the top e.g 100 people are interviewed. Hope that clarified things!

Oh okay! So the atar does count towards interview selection? Thank you very much A1 and Logic for your help!

It just doesn’t mention anything about atar for interview selection for rural applicants??

A1

Rookie Doc
Oh okay! So the atar does count towards interview selection? Thank you very much A1 and Logic for your help!

It does for non-rurals but appears not to for rurals
(The webpage says "Applicants are selected for interview on the basis of meeting the UMAT minimum score and having an RRMA-3-7 rating", period.)

It will count in place offer ranking for rurals though.

A1

Rookie Doc
Do you think that a raw score of 157 will be enough for a rural then??

I'm fairly sure 157 will be enough to get an interview. Can't tell about a place offer since it depends on your ATAR and interview performance as well.

H_______

Do we want to start the collated 2019 interview thread? First invite - UNSW, Rural Entry, 96.75, 186. Just got email

Reactions: A1

A1

Rookie Doc
Do we want to start the collated 2019 interview thread? First invite - UNSW, Rural Entry, 96.75, 186. Just got email
Congrats on being the first on MSO.

UNSW rural interview invites out :D

Presumably you got one?
If so congrats, but geez if it had come out 2 hours earlier would have saved us answering your six questions haha.

walks787

Congrats on being the first on MSO.

Presumably you got one?
If so congrats, but geez if it had come out 2 hours earlier would have saved us answering your six questions haha.

Hahaha yes! Would’ve saved a lot of deliberation!