Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Interview Invites and Dates 2018-19

maia.rose

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me exactly how UNSW's selection process works?
I am a rural, non-standard applicant and got a pretty average UMAT score which was over the 150 cut-off.
I have an excellent GPA, however I am aware that (as I will have only completed 1 year of university at the end of this year), that my high school results will account for 50% of my academic score...
I have received a interview for UNSW; how does the selection process go from here?
From all of the rural applicants that they interview, will the best interviewees be offered a place? Does UMAT/ academic score get me the interview and then it all depends on my interview performance? Or will my UMAT/ academic score be taken into consideration after my interview?

Hope I explained that okay - my brain is a bit jumbled!

A1

Rookie Doc
I have received a interview for UNSW; how does the selection process go from here?
From all of the rural applicants that they interview, will the best interviewees be offered a place?

No, that would be the case only when the interview counts 100% for place-offer ranking, like at JMP & WSU but not UNSW.

Or will my UMAT/ academic score be taken into consideration after my interview?

Assuming rural selection process is the same as for non-rural, UNSW weighs the three components equally 33/33/33. Each of your ATAR(+GPA)/UMAT/Interview scores is ranked among the interview cohort, the three ranks are numerically totaled then ranked again. Places will be offered on this Final ranking from top down until they run out.

maia.rose

No, that would be the case only when the interview counts 100% for place-offer ranking, like at JMP & WSU but not UNSW.

Assuming rural selection process is the same as for non-rural, UNSW weighs the three components equally 33/33/33. Each of your ATAR(+GPA)/UMAT/Interview scores is ranked among the interview cohort, the three ranks are numerically totaled then ranked again. Places will be offered on this Final ranking from top down until they run out.

Thanks very much! :)

sarangiya

UNSW BMed/MD II
I also got an interview invite with UMAT 159 (65%) 53/60/46
Does anyone know how many invites they do for rural access?
I'm over the moon but not getting my hopes too high. Congratulations to everyone else who got a regional invite!!

A1

Rookie Doc
I also got an interview invite with UMAT 159 (65%) 53/60/46
Does anyone know how many invites they do for rural access?

Usually either the uni publishes or we can make a good guess of the number of interview slots available. But with UNSW rural it seems to not be determined by this but by how many UMAT >150s who applied, which we can't guess.

I'm over the moon but not getting my hopes too high. Congratulations to everyone else who got a regional invite!!

The website says interviews will be held at 5 regional locations plus the Kensington campus. In the invite are you given the option to choose freely which location?

sarangiya

UNSW BMed/MD II
Usually either the uni publishes or we can make a good guess of the number of interview slots available. But with UNSW rural it seems to not be determined by this but by how many UMAT >150s who applied, which we can't guess.
I see! It might have been pretty generous considering my UMAT score.

The website says interviews will be held at 5 regional locations plus the Kensington campus. In the invite are you given the option to choose freely which location?
It seems so! I'll put in the contents of the email if it's of any use to you:) thanks for your reply!
UNSW Medicine is pleased to offer you an interview as part of the selection process for entry to the Medicine Program at UNSW in 2019. The interviews will be held at the following campuses throughout October and November;

Albury

Coffs Harbour

Griffith

Kensington

Port Macquarie

Wagga Wagga

You need to book yourself into a suitable interview time at the Campus closest to you. Please be aware that there are limited slots available at each campus so you must book early to secure an interview at your preferred campus, date and time.

BOOKING YOUR INTERVIEW TIME
---------------------------
Online interview booking opens: Monday 8 October 2018
Online interview booking closes: Thursday 11 October 2018, 2.00 PM

UNSW Medicine is offering undergraduate students an opportunity to complete Year 1 and Year 2 (Phase 1) of the undergraduate Medicine program at the Port Macquarie or Kensington campus. Please be advised that the location at which you choose to have your interview will have no impact on the location at which you will enrol to undertake Phase 1 of the program should you be successful in receiving an offer to Medicine.

If you no longer wish to participate in an interview, please contact us via email on: [email protected] by Tuesday 9 October 2018, so that we can offer the interview place to another applicant. If you have not selected an interview by 2.00 PM Thursday 11 October 2018, it will be presumed that you would no longer like to attend an interview for UNSW Medicine.

Step-by-step process for booking interview time:

1. Wait for the online interview booking to open (see details above)
2. Click on the link above or copy it into your web browser
3. Click the blue "Update Application" link on the left-hand side
4. Log into your application using your e-mail address and the receipt number that was previously provided to you
5. Click the blue "Interview" link on the left-hand side
6. Select your preferred interview location by clicking on it
7. Click the blue "Select Interview Time" link in the middle of the page
8. Select your preferred date by clicking on it
9. Select your preferred time by clicking on it
10. When asked whether you would like to select this time, click the "Yes" button
11. You will see a confirmation in pink and you will be sent an email confirming the date, time and location of your interview.

Please Note:
1. If you have issues with accessing the link above, try a different browser (e.g. Firefox).
2. Do not select an interview time until you are certain that you will be able to attend at that time and location.
3. If you have an interview time open for more than a few seconds, exit the interview time and reselect it to ensure it hasn't been selected by another applicant – this is very important.
4. Once you have selected the interview time, you are unable to change your interview time.
5. You need to arrive 15 minutes earlier than the allocated interview time for registration purposes.

INFORMATION ABOUT THE INTERVIEW SESSION
---------------------------------------
The interview content:
The interview is a structured interview designed to find out more about yourself and your life experiences. It is important that you relax and answer the questions honestly.
The interviewers:
There will be two interviewers drawn from academic staff, medical practitioners and community representatives. They have been carefully chosen and are experienced at interviewing.
The duration:
The interview will take approx. 40 minutes. You will have to register 15 minutes before the interview and after the interview, we will give you some further information before you leave.
What to wear:
It is not necessary to wear a suit and tie, or dress-suit. Wear what makes you feel comfortable. You will not be judged on what you wear.
What to bring:
You must bring a formal photo identification such as your passport, driver’s or learner's licence, or a letter from your school with your photo on it. It is not necessary to bring certificates, awards, or any other documents.
Who to bring:
Once you are ready to register, you will be leaving your friends/family behind. While you are going through the interview process, they are more than welcome to walk around the campus. They will be able to meet you again after the interview process.

NSW HEALTH COMPLIANCE
---------------------
All students offered a place to study at UNSW Medicine are required to undergo a Criminal Record Check and must meet NSW Health requirements for clinical placements. Criminal Record Checks are conducted for charges and/or convictions relating to serious offences. You will receive more information on student clearances for clinical placements and checklist of documents on the day of your interview. You must prepare documents and obtain vaccinations prior to enrolment in UNSW Medicine.

Further information is available on our website atNSW Health Requirements | Medicine Program

GOVERNMENT LEGISLATION AND FACULTY POLICIES AFFECTING UNSW MEDICINE STUDENTS
-------------------------------------------------------
Applicants applying to UNSW Medicine are required to read a number of policies specifically affecting Medicine students. These policies include:
- Immunisation and Blood-borne Viruses
- Medical Students Fitness to Practise Policy

For details of all policies, can be accessed at:
Policies and Guidelines | Medicine
Government Policies affecting all Medicine Students | Medicine

We wish you all the best for your interview, please get in contact with us if you have any concerns or questions regarding this.

Q3

Just wondering was the whole 150 minimum( as in anyone with 150+ gets an interview) for rural added because there is more competition this year or less competiton?

The application criteria is set and released before applications close, so I don't see how competition levels could affect that.

does anyone know what the competition is like for rural interviews in UNSW? Like general number of students who get selected / usual number selected etc

A1

Rookie Doc
does anyone know what the competition is like for rural interviews in UNSW? Like general number of students who get selected / usual number selected etc

UNSW offers 51 places (36 unbonded 15 bonded) to rural applicants.
In my year 2015 when all interviews were conducted at the Kensington campus we worked out from the number of interview slots it was roughly 1 place offer per 3 interviewees overall. This year rural interviews are held at 6 locations, no idea how many per session or number of sessions each location to guesstimate.

EtA: Actually in this video at 25:40 Mr Boothey mentions round about 150 rural interviewees

Last edited:

Jason1112

If griffith dont have interviews how does their selection process work?

when does bond applications open and what is their selection criteria?

Last edited by a moderator:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
If griffith dont have interviews how does their selection process work?

when does bond applications open and what is their selection criteria?
Griffith offers are made 100% off ATAR. You apply through QTAC or UAC and just receive an offer (or not) when the TACs release offers.

Look at the Bond website or A1’s table ([Undergrad] - (2018 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards) for the second question - this information is very easily accessed.

entirety

BoEaC

anyone know what time the UNSW (rural) interview booking site actually opens? I have a pretty narrow window that I can interview in so I stayed up till 12 to book straight away but it doesn't seem to have updated the page yet :/ anyone else having this?

sarangiya

UNSW BMed/MD II
anyone know what time the UNSW (rural) interview booking site actually opens? I have a pretty narrow window that I can interview in so I stayed up till 12 to book straight away but it doesn't seem to have updated the page yet :/ anyone else having this?
What page are you looking at? It didn't even have a link in the email so I assumed we would be emailed when the portal was opening (with a link accompaniment) .

For all wondering about the number of rural interviews and whatnot, on the UNSW site I found:
Interviews for rural applicants who have met the minimum UMAT raw score will be held at the Albury-Wodonga, Coffs Harbour, Griffith, Port Macquarie, Wagga Wagga and Sydney (Kensington) campuses.
I guess this confirms that anyone who got 150+ got an interview

BoEaC

They would be interviewing a crazy amount of people. I applied two years ago when I was in yr 12 but decided not to do it, and back then the booking system was run on the same website page as the application system, I just assumed it would be the same.

sarangiya

UNSW BMed/MD II
They would be interviewing a crazy amount of people. I applied two years ago when I was in yr 12 but decided not to do it, and back then the booking system was run on the same website page as the application system, I just assumed it would be the same.
Ikr... 150 (as quoted by A1, God himself) doesn't seem enough. Unless there really aren't that many rural applicants? Surely there are though, right?
Oh, awesome! Good to have someone here with some first-hand experience. I'll keep an eye on that website then. Fingers crossed it won't be at some stupid time... What was the point of keeping opening times withdrawn? Smh