Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Interview Invites and Dates 2018-19

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
i am a gap year applicant and have already got my atar. and i am a WA resident? any ideas because im really quite shocked by this.
To be honest, it’s possible you just didn’t meet the cutoff this year. Cutoffs change each year and given Curtin is a rather new medical school, we’d expect cutoffs to increase over time. Once we’ve had more interviews reported we’ll have a better (still rough) idea of the cutoff required this year. If you see someone gaining an interview with scores lower than yours then you’ll have grounds to appeal, but until then, you may just have to wait and see.

ETA: It's also possible that not all interviews have been released yet.

NG

To be honest, it’s possible you just didn’t meet the cutoff this year. Cutoffs change each year and given Curtin is a rather new medical school, we’d expect cutoffs to increase over time. Once we’ve had more interviews reported we’ll have a better (still rough) idea of the cutoff required this year. If you see someone gaining an interview with scores lower than yours then you’ll have grounds to appeal, but until then, you may just have to wait and see.
do I have a shot at second round interviews? this is absurd though as i know for a fact a lot of people last year had much lower scores all round. I truely am shocked and in a state of despair.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
do I have a shot at second round interviews? this is absurd though as i know for a fact a lot of people last year had much lower scores all round. I truely am shocked and in a state of despair.
Unfortunately the admissions guide suggests second round interviews are only given to WA residents if they achieved an actual ATAR higher than their predicted ATAR; given you already have your actual ATAR this seems unlikely, but it's possible that once all ATARs have been released this may lower the cutoff from what it was initially and you'll receive a top-up offer (i.e. Curtin may have been conservative with interview invites in the initial round). However, we don't actually know exactly how Curtin operates and unfortunately have limited data due to it being a relatively new school, so we can't really give you any concrete information.

Wishing you the best of luck, however, and please report back to us if you find out anything more or receive an interview at a later date.

hey i got a 99.60 atar and a 72 umat (passed all sections) and i didn't get a curtin interview? is this some sort of mistake or joke?

A lot of good applicants seemed to miss out on an interview for Curtin, I know someone with 80th percentile (above 50 in all sections) & atar above 99 who didnt get an interview offer.
Also you might be able to get a second round offer

Do Monash or Adelaide have higher cutoff scores / criteria for interstate applicants?? If they invited offers based on the criteria they use for locals, then why don’t they need to interview more than only 80-100 people??

Sorry that didn’t make much sense .. I’m referring to criteria for interstate interview offers.. Do they use higher cutoffs for interstate applicants?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff
Oh no.. How much higher? How do they calculate it?
I'm not sure if anyone knows how they calculate it, tbh! I know UNSW only sends interview invites to those interstate people who have a higher ATAR+ UMAT combo than the lowest local student who got a place offer, if that makes sense. Maybe Monash does a similar thing?

A1

Rookie Doc
I'm not sure if anyone knows how they calculate it, tbh! I know UNSW only sends interview invites to those interstate people who have a higher ATAR+ UMAT combo than the lowest local student who got a place offer, if that makes sense. Maybe Monash does a similar thing?

I can't help thinking there's something wrong in the way UNSW applies the round 2 interview cutoffs. This year's cutoffs for interstate being 98.2 and 180 means a 98.3/181 would be invited whereas a 99.9/179 (obviously a higher combo for the final ranking) would be excluded.

Maybe this is the reason why UNSW needed to state a high score will not average out a low score i.e. it's applicable when the low score is below its cutoff?

Last edited:
Perhaps 180 this year were 89, 90 and 91st percentiles...?

I know an interstate applicant who received an interview offer there with 99.95 and 180 / 90th percentile....

A1

Rookie Doc
Perhaps 180 this year were 89, 90 and 91st percentiles...?

I have edited out the percentiles from my previous post since it's not in context. I was illustrating how strange UNSW considers an ATAR + UMAT both just above the cutoffs a better candidate than a top ATAR + 179 UMAT.

bigwaves

Lurker
I am also confused as to how UNSW works out interview invites as I have an 98.85 ATAR and 94th percentile UMAT and was sent a rejection email. Any advice on why this might be, given both scores are above the quoted cut offs ?

A1

Rookie Doc
I am also confused as to how UNSW works out interview invites as I have an 98.85 ATAR and 94th percentile UMAT and was sent a rejection email. Any advice on why this might be, given both scores are above the quoted cut offs ?

If you are interstate you should receive an invite. Assuming you are a NSW applicant it further illustrates how UNSW's new process doesn't make sense.

For round 1 interviews we've seen 99.2/92nd%ile not getting an invite. After the round 1 offers, based on the lowest successful ATAR of 98.2 (but likely with very high UMAT) and lowest UMAT of 180 (but likely with very high ATAR), UNSW sets these as cutoffs for round 2 interviews. As a result an interstate applicant with 98.3 & 92nd%ile got an invite, where as the significantly higher NSW applicant didn't. Totally weird!

GottaGo

Huh, I thought UNSW was also confusing since I also got a rejection with 91st (181) and 99.50... Is it worth contacting them directly to ask about it?

Numerouno

When are the interstate interviews are offered from Monash? Has anyone got it yet? I had not followed the thread closely recently. Sorry for the trouble if it had already been posted. Cheers.

A1

Rookie Doc
Huh, I thought UNSW was also confusing since I also got a rejection with 91st (181) and 99.50... Is it worth contacting them directly to ask about it?

Definitely worth calling Mr Boothey since your scores are clearly above the announced cutoffs.