Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Is First Class enough?

Soapia

Hi everyone,

Please help with my inquiries! Thank you in advance :). I received First Class of Honours but did not obtained a great GPA for bachelor. Does Griffith only consider First Class? I have heard if you get First Class then that is a straight 7 for that year. Is that correct also? Please help!!!

Josh0899

Lurker
Yes it is. I received 1st class and gained entry. You are ranked higher than everyone, even OP1, with 1st class. They only take honours. They do not look at your bachelor.

Soapia

Yes it is. I received 1st class and gained entry. You are ranked higher than everyone, even OP1, with 1st class. They only take honours. They do not look at your bachelor.
Thank you Josh0899, this makes me feel like I have a good chance getting an offer for Griffith dent. I was worried because I didn't get all 7s in my Honours, but still I managed to get First Class somehow! Can I ask when did you get the offer, 2014 or 2015? Thanks ;)

Josh0899

Lurker
I received my offer last year. My first year of dentistry was 2015 and I am about to enter 2nd year in 2016. I did received all 7's during honours. But as long as you have first class you should be good. Good luck with it all. It is an amazing course and you will love it.

Soapia

I received my offer last year. My first year of dentistry was 2015 and I am about to enter 2nd year in 2016. I did received all 7's during honours. But as long as you have first class you should be good. Good luck with it all. It is an amazing course and you will love it.
That is amazing :) I'm glad you are in (you deserved it) and now enjoying dentistry! Good job! Thank you for your replies, they are very helpful for candidates like me. If I do get the offer I will let you know through here and/or hopefully I will see you around in 2016 (fingers crossed). I wish you all the best for everything ;)

So First class honours is the equivalent of a gpa of 7. Does this also apply to honours that is embedded into the degree (4 year degree with honours) as opposed to a 3 year degree with an additional honours year? Thanks

Soapia

So First class honours is the equivalent of a gpa of 7. Does this also apply to honours that is embedded into the degree (4 year degree with honours) as opposed to a 3 year degree with an additional honours year? Thanks
Hi, I'm not so sure if First class Honours is equivalent of a GPA of 7, unless you have obtained all 7s for that Honours year, then for that year your GPA is 7. I believe Honours is Honours no matter what degree you took and how long your degree is.

Isaac1

Lurker
If you did an additional full-time honours year then your gpa will be based on that final year only (so basically 1st class would be 7/7) however if embedded then it will be calculated by the whole 4 years. If you still feel unsure then you should double check with Griffith University.

Thankyou for your insights, I appreciate it. Sure thing, I contacted them but it's a holiday period and they won't be responding to emails for a while so I thought I might ask here. I'll post up their response when I get it.

Soapia

Sorry my bad, now I understand what you meant realm10000. I think Isaac1 is right about how Honours is calculated if embedded in the 4 years program. Ultimately it will come down to the result of Honours, and as Josh0899 pointed out if we have First Class then we have a good chance. Although I have a First Class, but because I did not get straight 7s for all of my courses I'm not quite sure if I will get offered a place. If you don't mind me asking, are you applying for 2016 entry realm1000?

That's ok, and yes Sopia I am applying for 2016 entry with a First class honours in a 4 year degree. Isaac1 was right, a staff member just replied "We will look at your overall Grade point average achieved in the completed degree. You are required to have a GPA of 6.5 or higher on a 7 point scale (2015 cut-off was 6.65) to be competitive for admission."

I know this is a bit late but Im guessing there would be a lot of applicants with 99 rank. What happens if there are more applicant with 99 rank than places available? They dont have a secondary assessment, besides gpa, do they?

hey guys! sorry if this is the wrong discussion page ;P so I'm thinking of applying to Griffith (Oral Health in Dental Science) with 99.45 ATAR, but I've already started a bachelor's degree (GPA 7/7). I've fulfilled the prereq for everything, except the high school English requirement- do you think I have a chance, as QTAC says I've fulfilled the English prereq by doing one Year at Uni? #ThisismylasthopeafterfailingtogetintoMed :(

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
hey guys! sorry if this is the wrong discussion page ;P so I'm thinking of applying to Griffith (Oral Health in Dental Science) with 99.45 ATAR, but I've already started a bachelor's degree (GPA 7/7). I've fulfilled the prereq for everything, except the high school English requirement- do you think I have a chance, as QTAC says I've fulfilled the English prereq by doing one Year at Uni? #ThisismylasthopeafterfailingtogetintoMed :(

I don't know specifically for Griffiths, but at UTAS the English pre-req is satisfied by study at an Aus institution in any field at level 6 or higher (which is, I think, diploma level). Bachelor level at an Aus university would satisfy the Eng pre-req for UTAS. If there's no one here who can answer your question for Griffiths specifically, you might want to contact them. That said, the information I mentioned re. UTAS is from their FAQ page, Griffiths might have something similar.

ETA: As to your chances of getting a spot, that I'll have to leave to someone else to answer. Good luck!

sing-h

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post, but could someone tell me whether 6.76 GPA will be enough to get me into the dentistry course at Girffiths University?

Cheers

A1

Rookie Doc

sing-h

Hi, in recent years 6.76 would have been around the borderline according to this thread
anyone got into Griffith Dent in 2015 or 2014 with GPA lower than 7.0?
Thank you for the quick reply, I am finishing up my bachelor of Physiology in NZ at the end of this year. If I do not get in, I am going to be taking Optometry at QUT. Is it possible for me to apply again after first year of Optometry using just the results form that year, since QTAC only looks at the highest GPA from each degree.

A1

Rookie Doc
Is it possible for me to apply again after first year of Optometry using just the results form that year, since QTAC only looks at the highest GPA from each degree.

Sorry I don't know the full answer to this but afaik they would only use the highest GPA of a *completed* degree. For example someone does a Bachelor plus a standalone Honours degree, the Honours degree's GPA counts by itself. However if the Honours year is part of the Bachelor then it plus 2 preceding years are counted together.

If that's the case it's unlikely one year of Optometry will override your Physiology.

frootloop

Doctor
Thank you for the quick reply, I am finishing up my bachelor of Physiology in NZ at the end of this year. If I do not get in, I am going to be taking Optometry at QUT. Is it possible for me to apply again after first year of Optometry using just the results form that year, since QTAC only looks at the highest GPA from each degree.
I don't know what your situation is like, but if you're an NZ citizen/PR and don't have Aussie citizenship/PR, it could be cheaper for you to stay in NZ than head over to UQ for optometry, given that the Aussie government is no longer letting NZers pay domestic uni fees (and full-fees are hiiiigh). Auckland University runs a 4-year BOptom which you can enter as a graduate, and then you could apply to dentistry from there.

Again, I don't know your financial situation, where your family live or whether you're an Aussie citizen/PR. Just thought I'd give you a heads up about the fee changes for NZers at Aussie unis in case you hadn't heard.