ISAT Preparation General Discussion

Can someone please explain the Isat entrance exam to me, thank you. And also any advice on Isat books and prep material would be appreciated. Also can anyone suggest where I can find Isat books in Melbourne? Thank you

I've also been trying to find more information on the ISAT. Seems like ACER doesn't publish any hard copy books for practice-- the only preparation material they have is purchasable online https://isat.acer.edu.au/preparation/practice-materials

Basically the ISAT is a three hours test with 100 questions. It's not broken up into any sections but there is a stimulus picture/graph for every 5-ish questions which are based on that picture/graph. I too am trying to find out more, so if you do find any info please let me know thanks!

bourbaki

Lurker
have you managed to find any resources since then?

i myself have been looking for free practice questions without any luck

wen1234

Lurker
You can use the free sources on ucat. There’s some parts you can use. But personally I find them too easy comparing to the sample one.

Seriously, there is so little material and guidance for this test, especially when compared to the UCAT.
If anyone has done it in previous years, how was it? Is it just a general aptitude test?
If anyone is doing it this year, how are you preparing? The only resources I've found are the free sample questions and the paid practice test, which aren't really that much. From doing these few questions, it seems like there is not much pressure regarding time and how fast you work through it, it's like you're being encouraged to slow down and think about each question...the opposite of the UCAT.

Anybody with a smidge of advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, I know it is few years since your posts. but ISAT is still required by international students. does anyone have any suggestion where to find some practice materials and help with ISAT style questions? i could not find any apart from 30 ACER practice questions :( does anyone have old UMAT papers happy to share too? i appreciate it

BoarVessel

Valued Member
Hi guys, I know it is few years since your posts. but ISAT is still required by international students. does anyone have any suggestion where to find some practice materials and help with ISAT style questions? i could not find any apart from 30 ACER practice questions :( does anyone have old UMAT papers happy to share too? i appreciate it

Hey, I prepared for ISAT from a prep company from Singapore over the internet as I was in India. However, there wasn't anything I learnt really from them and most of their prep material was derived from GAMSAT. The DM and QR section of the UCAT is a bit similar (a BIT) to the exam and other than that I did nothing but I still got a score in the 87th percentile which was enough for a first round offer from UTAS (ATAR of 99) and an interview from Monash (its in August).

Edit:Removed mention of prep company

Last edited:
Hey, I prepared for ISAT from a prep company from Singapore over the internet as I was in India. However, there wasn't anything I learnt really from them and most of their prep material was derived from GAMSAT. The DM and QR section of the UCAT is a bit similar (a BIT) to the exam and other than that I did nothing but I still got a score in the 87th percentile which was enough for a first round offer from UTAS (ATAR of 99) and an interview from Monash (its in August).

hey BoarVessel,
thanks for the information. what do you think would be the best resources for the verbal (critical reasoning section) of the ISAT, do you think QR and DM of the UCAT was harder or easier than ISAT sections?
thanks in advance

BoarVessel

Valued Member
hey BoarVessel,
thanks for the information. what do you think would be the best resources for the verbal (critical reasoning section) of the ISAT, do you think QR and DM of the UCAT was harder or easier than ISAT sections?
thanks in advance

I personally did way better on the UCAT so it was easier for me. However, really in the end the closest thing to the ISAT is GAMSAT, although ISAT is easier than GAMSAT. Hence, I would recommend doing GAMSAT (non-medical related stuff) for it. And regarding the question you asked on another thread about UNSW interview rounds, I emailed them and the next round interviews are supposed to start from September 18. The July and August interviews are full. Idk about Monash tho.

I personally did way better on the UCAT so it was easier for me. However, really in the end the closest thing to the ISAT is GAMSAT, although ISAT is easier than GAMSAT. Hence, I would recommend doing GAMSAT (non-medical related stuff) for it. And regarding the question you asked on another thread about UNSW interview rounds, I emailed them and the next round interviews are supposed to start from September 18. The July and August interviews are full. Idk about Monash tho.

Thanks man, cheers for the info

Seriously, there is so little material and guidance for this test, especially when compared to the UCAT.
If anyone has done it in previous years, how was it? Is it just a general aptitude test?
If anyone is doing it this year, how are you preparing? The only resources I've found are the free sample questions and the paid practice test, which aren't really that much. From doing these few questions, it seems like there is not much pressure regarding time and how fast you work through it, it's like you're being encouraged to slow down and think about each question...the opposite of the UCAT.

ANYBODY WITH A SMIDGE OF ADVICE???

Hey, out of curiosity, when and where are you planning to sit your ISAT? A friend of mine in Melbourne is worried her exam will be cancelled.

ah_s50

Lurker

Hey, can you tell me how the Monash interview went? I got an overall score of 183 (92 percentile) but I’m scared the Critical reasoning section will be an issue as I got in critical reasoning 176 (76 percentile) and in quantitative reasoning 191 (96 percentile).

BoarVessel

Valued Member
Hey, can you tell me how the Monash interview went? I got an overall score of 183 (92 percentile) but I’m scared the Critical reasoning section will be an issue as I got in critical reasoning 176 (76 percentile) and in quantitative reasoning 191 (96 percentile).

Hey.

To me it went fine but I haven't gotten an offer from them. I'm aware of a few Singaporeans who got it tho. If you haven't gotten it yet then it probably means we won't get it any time soon if ever 😐 Did you apply to UWA? I'm really waiting on that offer to save me from this time

ah_s50

Lurker
Hey.

To me it went fine but I haven't gotten an offer from them. I'm aware of a few Singaporeans who got it tho. If you haven't gotten it yet then it probably means we won't get it any time soon if ever 😐 Did you apply to UWA? I'm really waiting on that offer to save me from this time
I’m gonna apply in a couple of days to Monash and UNSW. I only received a conditional offer about a month ago from WSU depending on my ISAT and I emailed them my result yesterday and I’m waiting for an offer. I missed the application deadline for UWA cause I thought all unis open admissions in September and I wanted to cry. Hopefully you receive an offer tho.

BoarVessel

Valued Member
I’m gonna apply in a couple of days to Monash and UNSW. I only received a conditional offer about a month ago from WSU depending on my ISAT and I emailed them my result yesterday and I’m waiting for an offer. I missed the application deadline for UWA cause I thought all unis open admissions in September and I wanted to cry. Hopefully you receive an offer tho.

Yeah its real stupid that UWA has the deadline of 29 May. I have an unconditional offer from WSU as well. I have a UNSW interview on 17th Sep. With that ISAT, just do a good interview with UNSW, it is really heavily weighed.

Hey man Im just wondering which company did you use? Want to see if it's the same one that I'm gonna use as well.

BoarVessel

Valued Member
Hey man Im just wondering which company did you use? Want to see if it's the same one that I'm gonna use as well.

I'm not sure if the rules of the forum will allow me to say the name of the prep company sorry. Its one of the only ones that have an actual dedicated section to ISAT and is Singapore based.

I'm not sure if the rules of the forum will allow me to say the name of the prep company sorry. Its one of the only ones that have an actual dedicated section to ISAT and is Singapore based.
Alright I didn't realise there are rules restricting that lol. So overall, would you recommend doing preparation there?