Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

It's Official! No UMAT for Griffith Dent 2011

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
not to late :) you gotta apply by the 30th sep.
well you will get credit for all the subjects you have already done.
since its just the interpersonal skills you havent done, and the 0 cp subjects which probably dont matter, you would have to ask them when accepted whether you can go straight to second year. its not the matter of them saying yes or no. cause the uni gets government funding for only a certain number of places for each cohort. but i heard it is possible in special cases, especially for biomed students. but now that giffrith dent has a new dean, im not sure.

Hmm well ( not to sound cocky), i am very well known by all the med staff so maybe i can get some to sweet talk the dean haha. I am sure some people must have failed first year and are having to repeat. I know atleast 3 in my year that are redoing 1st year subjects/

You apply at the 30th ( or before) and when do the offers come out? Is it the same as others now being around the 13th of jan?

UMAT Veteran

When is the last date to apply via QTAC?
I dont know if i will have to do firrst year again. I have done 2 years of biomed at griffith and its only interpersonal skills and some 0CP subject i have not done.. I did health psychology which 09 dental students did.. I have a GPA of 6.83.

Is it too late?

I'm pretty sure you will have to go into first year. You will need to do the interpersonal skills course (which is freaking useless. Not 1 person in the entire course failed and noone showed up to lectures...personally i spent a total of 4 hours over the Sem. studying for it and got a 6) because it is different to the one that the dent students had to do last year...theirs was more relevant!

Also you may think that the 0CP course wont matter but they are really anal about it. You need to do it (even though we don't learn anything in it) and if you dont show up for the lectures you can fail it (attendance = 100% of the course) and have to repeat the year :|
So if you get in count on a really easy year!

qickin

(sorry for reviving thread)

but, is it guaranteed to get into griffith dent, if u get a flat 99 atar & u do phys, chem and bio (so u max out on the field wtvas)?

i have a feeling that they're gonna convert the ops into atars and count down from the top (mb im just being a pessimist):mellow:

Jackie

=D
Emeritus Staff
Queensland has field positions which will help them distinguish between their OP1s but yes, this should (but not will because we don't know what Griffith will do) be compared to the ATARs of the rest of the states.

dealz

Lurker
Hi.
does anyone know how students from Victoria can apply for Griffith dent's next year intake?

cheers guys,
dealz

Jackie

=D
Emeritus Staff
I don't think that Griffith discriminates between domestic students (between different states), and thus, they'll take as many good applicants that there are. :)

Jackie

=D
Emeritus Staff
I'm pretty sure it's through QTAC, so make an application through there. Hopefully that should be good.

n33b

FIRST!!!
I'm pretty sure it's through QTAC, so make an application through there. Hopefully that should be good.
Yeah, QTAC and you can do it through UAC as well (I think).

KIWIpride

hey
Sorry i am not sure what 4 scale or 7 scale is..
In NZ:
A+ is considered 90%+ (GPA of 9)
A is considered 85% - 89% (GPA of 8)
A- is considered 80 - 84 (GPA of 7)
and so on..

Whilst on this forum, i got quite confused when everyone was talking about trying to get a gpa of 6.5+.

KIWIpride

A gpa of 7 is considered the highest possible grade in Aussie, isn't it? How does the grading system work in Griffith?

hpfanfiction

Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital
Emeritus Staff
My understanding is that an NZ A+, A and A- would all translate to a 7 in Aus

KIWIpride

So 6.5 is equivalent to a 8.36 in NZ???? ><
ok thanks for that.
I m just going to fold up my hopes and chuck it into a bin...

hpfanfiction

Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital
Emeritus Staff
So 6.5 is equivalent to a 8.36 in NZ???? ><
ok thanks for that.
I m just going to fold up my hopes and chuck it into a bin.

Not necessarily ^, you'd have to individually account for each of your subject results and then incorporate the subject load (it's not just 8.36/9 x 7)..
As your GPA of 8.36 may have been made up entirely of A+/A/A- scores, in which case it would translate to an Aus GPA of 7 (out of 7), or alternatively, if you have some extremely high scores and some low ones, the result might be different.

Edit: Beaten to it :p :) haha oops