Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

James Cook University - Questions + Post your Progress!

wicked

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to MSO, but have 'lurked' around for a while checking the status for Dentistry. I have applied for JCU Dentistry this year, but after doing some research on OP's, I am a little worried. I know you probably get asked this a lot, but I thought we could have a thread where all questions are asked, and where people can post when they get an offer. :lol:

I was wondering, what is the lowest OP people have heard of for JCU Dentistry? I've just finished High School, I am a rural applicant, but am unsure if I will get better than an OP 10. The Guidance Officer predicted (very broadly) between a 12 (he thinks I'll get better than that) and a 5 (being incredibly unlikely). But I have heard an OP 8 for Dentistry (from Cairns) and an OP 14 for Pharmacy (rural applicant) at JCU, so I am a little unsure how I'll go.

Thanks for all the help!! (yy)

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
The fact that your rural will be taken into consideration alot :) and will depend how good your application is. Good luck ^_^. I also heard the lowest they have accepted into BDS @ JCU was an OP 8 aswell.

wicked

I think my application went well as I got my English teacher to check, re-check and re-re-check. :p I said a lot in my application that I want to work rural because I've come from a rural area, I've done all this stuff at JCU with science, blah blah blah..... I think it was good. :p

Does anyone know if many offers happen after the major offer dates? I know that phone calls happen from the 24 December right through to February, but are there many after the 13 January? I'm a little worried because I need to let JCU Townsville know by the 21st January about accommodation (I have a conditional offer there).

Thanks!!! :)

Igloo1994

Wicked, don't stress too much, I'm in the same boat as you :) Unfortunately I'm from Victoria so I'm not sure if I'll get in or not as I believe they heavily favour queenslanders :S The wait for a phone call is killing me, I really want to know what I'm doing next year. All the best, who knows, we may both end up at JCU next year!

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Here are some statistics for JCU BDS Round offers:

For 2010 offers
+ 1058 applied.
+ After all round offers 98 were given out and 61 accepted. Therefore 37 declined.
+ 28 QLD school leavers & 28 non-standard/other yr 12 applicants enrolled.

For 2009 Offers
+ 835 applied.
+ After all round offers 76 were given out and 64 accepted. Therefore 12 declined.
+ 32 QLD School leavers & 25 non-standards/other yr 12 applicants enrolled.

Source: http://www.qtac.edu.au/Statistics/Semester12010.htm

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I mean for the 2010 cohort. Haha. Sorry. Offers for next year are known as 2011 Offers since there officially made by QTAC on the 13th of Jan.

just to let you know that there's already a thread called JCU OFFER (I think) that has been started discussing whether anybody has been offered a place- just so nobody misses out :)

bigcanary

Hutch, thanks very much for that link to the QTAC statistical reports. I have been hunting for something similar for UAC, but looks like there is no such thing. Just wondering if anyone has dug out similar stats for NSW or other states.

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
[OFFTOPIC]Interesting to see that UQ gave 155 offers when they only took 77 students... Means over half the offers were declined... sheesh!

Edit: The above is graduate entry, which still suprises me..

UQ for B.Sc and MBBS was 123 offers, 87 enrolled
And, B. HSc/MBBS was 54 offers, 26 enrolled.[/OFFTOPIC]

Last edited:

Finally_0

Interesting to see that UQ gave 155 offers when they only took 77 students... Means over half the offers were declined... sheesh!

That is why I'm reading in this forum the first round offer for UQ Med was OP1 (equivalant ATAR) + 171 UMAT, but UMAT dropped to 156 in the final offers. :lol:

Calls should start today for Dentistry, tomorrow for Medicine.

wicked

Should be making calls today but whether or not they actually do is a mystery.... From what I've read around in the forums, people have made numerous calls, and every single one of them have been told something different - before Christmas, after Christmas, New Years.... Making me sad..... :(

Sinlam

the worst thing ever is waiting!!!
so nervous >.<"
i have been await since 0700 this AM and hope for a call